IGNORED

The sega light gun mod...

General Atarian

• 1 month later...

I took apart my light gun and to my dismay the switch in there has only 2 "tabs" (common and Normally Closed) which means I'd have to replace the switch if I want to make it shoot right with Atari game. Other than that it's just a few wires to change around. (or build an adapter box with male plug at one end and female plug at other end and wires arrainged inside to make Sega gun compliant with Atari system)

Hi .. I am making small adapters that contain an inverter chip and allow you to connect your unmodified SMS gun to the Atari systems and play Bug Hunt (8bit) or Sentinel (2600) or Shooting Gallery (2600).

Contact me by private message to get one!

What 7800 games use the light gun?

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Before you have a stroke, probably the best instructions for you would be to buy an XE lightgun and forgot about modding your SMS one. Save you a lot of hassle, look at the dealers listed here in the links section and you could also get one on eBay.

The point for modding the sega one is that the XE one is terrible as far as aiming is concerned. So incredibly bad.

Cool, I don't think I knew that, I never used a sega lightgun. The XE does seem poor compared to the NES zapper but I'm not a huge lightgun gamer so it never really bothered me.

And I'm sure there are several good reasons to do this mod, I was just trying to avert some medical problems here. ;)

I took apart my light gun and to my dismay the switch in there has only 2 "tabs" (common and Normally Closed) which means I'd have to replace the switch if I want to make it shoot right with Atari game.  Other than that it's just a few wires to change around. (or build an adapter box with male plug at one end and female plug at other end and wires arrainged inside to make Sega gun compliant with Atari system)

You have to take the switch apart .. and move the contacts to normally closed. Believe me .. It is easier to build the adapter.

you all say so much but my question is still unanswered i don't want to buy any other light guns i paid 2 dollars for mine and would love to just mod it

Ok .. Go get yourself a Sega Controller Extension cable .. Or you can use a cable from a QuickShot Joystick (that has autofire). Or you can get a DB9Female socket and prepare to solder the Sega wires to pins 1,6,7,8.

Cut the plug off the Sega Gun .. and trim back the wires in preparation to solder or crimp together. Cut off the male end of the Extension Cable .. and trim back the wires (same for the Quick Shot cable). Identify wires 1,6,7,8 (or DB9 Female pins). Make the following connections .. and crimp or solder the wires as below. Wrap every connection with electrical tape.

SEGA GUN ATARI JOYSTICK PORT

Blue wire Pin 1 stick FWD

Gray wire Pin 6 trigger

Green wire Pin 7 +5 volts

Black wire Pin 8 Ground

Plug in any 2600, 7800, 8-bit Light Pen game and give it a try.

Hope that helps .. Don't make it any harder than this. You can do it once you cut the plug and trim the wires.

For those who do not want to permanantly modify their SMS Light Gun, buy the adapter from me for $10 + $2 shipping .. and you can still use your SMS gun with SMS games!