IGNORED

Playing 2600 games on a 7800

kennyk

I never had a 7800, but I hear that 2600 games play on it. Is the screen clearer than on a 2600? Also, can you plug 2600 joysticks and paddles into it?

Thanks for any info

I think from personal experience having a 7800 is a must. I love the 2600 but love 7800 games too. Gives you the best of both worlds. As for the picture.........Not that I have noticed. It depends on your switch. Everyone should have a modded cable though. Much better picture. If not there is a cable ready switch and plug thats worth the $1.99 you spend on eBay for it. ;)

Thanks for the fast replies. My 2600 Jr picture is a bit fuzzy, so I was hoping for a cleaner alternative. I have one of those RCA adapters sold in the store, so I'm wondering if it's my RCA cable that might be doing it.

Thanks again

Unfortunately RF quality can vary quite a bit between systems, and even with the RCA adapter you can still sometimes get poor looking output from a 2600 or 7800. There appear to be many variables involved, such as:

- How well shielded the system is

- If the cartridge your using is shielded (except for Atari's earlier games, most are not)

- The quality of the RF cable

- The quality of the tuner built into the device (TV, VCR, etc.) you are plugging the system into

- If there are any channels in your area broadcasting on or near the channel you're using (2 or 3)

- And of course, the converter from the RF cable to your TV/VCR's input (these days a coaxial connection).

The only reliable way to get a stellar picture from any classic system is to use a composite and/or s-video output upgrade. But shy of that, the coaxial adapters usually work pretty well in reducing RF noise.

..Al

Thanks for the fast replies. My 2600 Jr picture is a bit fuzzy, so I was hoping for a cleaner alternative. I have one of those RCA adapters sold in the store, so I'm wondering if it's my RCA cable that might be doing it.

Thanks again

Recommend an s-video mod to either the Junior, or better yet a 7800 to give the clearest picture.

Search for Longhorn Engineers posts/site for more details

As I said in another thread, I recently had an Atari 2600 and an Atari 7800 hooked up and Atari 2600 games looked and sounded a little different on the Atari 7800. I didn't know there would be a difference. If you want the correct colors and sounds, it seems it's better to play Atari 2600 games on an Atari 2600. If slight differences in color and sound don't bother you, then it doesn't matter which one you use.

As I said in another thread, I recently had an Atari 2600 and an Atari 7800 hooked up and Atari 2600 games looked and sounded a little different on the Atari 7800. I didn't know there would be a difference. If you want the correct colors and sounds, it seems it's better to play Atari 2600 games on an Atari 2600. If slight differences in color and sound don't bother you, then it doesn't matter which one you use.

I think I've said this in another thread too - my PAL 7800 shows a slightly smaller image than my 2600 does - the games play just as well but they do look slightly different. The overall image quality is poorer too but I think that it because my 7800 seems to have a poor RF cable/connector.

Thanks for all the tips. When I get the money I'll probably do the s video mod.

Oh and what I have right now is a single rca cable connected to the Jr and the other end has an adapter ( to make it coaxial. I got my system used, so this is what it came with.

I use an adapter like the one below...

Wrong adapter...that adapter is an exact opposite of what you need. LOL

Actually, it's not. that's the same adapter I use.

It's actually better than the other way around. You use one of those, pulg it directly into the 7800, and use a better coaxial Cable-TV type cable to plug into the TV, instead of using the godawful crappy RCA-Jacked cable that comes with the 7800.

Most decent grade F-type Coaxial cables (Cable TV type) have WAY better RF sheilding than the piece of crap cable that cap with the 7800 back in 1987.

The nice thing about the 7800 is that it's easy to choose your own RF cable since it's not attached. I use an adapter like the one below and a length of high quality shielded RG6 cable plugged directly into the TV, and I get a great picture!

pRS1C-2266125w345.jpg

Very interesting. I had the other gold dealy on the end, and didn't realize you could do it this way. I noticed an improvement the way I have it over the gross switchbox, but to know it could look better without a mod. Interesting indeed.

The nice thing about the 7800 is that it's easy to choose your own RF cable since it's not attached. I use an adapter like the one below and a length of high quality shielded RG6 cable plugged directly into the TV, and I get a great picture!

pRS1C-2266125w345.jpg

Very interesting. I had the other gold dealy on the end, and didn't realize you could do it this way. I noticed an improvement the way I have it over the gross switchbox, but to know it could look better without a mod. Interesting indeed.

would this not work just as well though as long as you use a decent coax cable? I would think so.

pRS1C-2266125w345.jpg

would this not work just as well though as long as you use a decent coax cable? I would think so.

Yeah, probably, but you'd be hard pressed to find a RCA ended cable with as good a sheilding as most standard RG6 cables would have. Honestly, it probably doesn't make much difference either way, it's just what I use!

• 3 weeks later...

The 2600 games I've played on my two 7800s have all looked much, much clearer and better on the 7800.

The biggest difference has been on the homebrew games and Donkey Kong (Coleco version). Seawolf and, the hack, Venture II especially look crisp on the 7800, but have tons of backround lines and shapes on the 2600s.

It may be that my 2600s are all getting worn out and the video chips are dying, or it may be that the 7800s are just newer, or better shielded. But I have noticed a big difference. I bought a Sears Video Arcade II and hoped it would be as clear as the 7800 because it looks like a 7800, but it wasn't any clearer than the regular 2600s (a Vader and a 4 switch woodie). So maybe it's not shielded as well, or maybe it's all in the cord, as several earlier posts have suggested.

One thing to note is that a number of 7800 titles which should work with a 2600 joystick actually won't. Dark Chambers works with a CX-40 just fine, but it will not work at all with third party 2600 controllers. Even Atari's own wireless sticks do not work with Dark Chambers.

Asteroids and the one hack of it I've played (Space Duel) will boot properly with a CX-40 plugged in, and from there you can connect any 2600 controller you want.

EDIT: Oops, I'm talking out the wrong end here. :) Read on...

Edited by shadow460