IGNORED

Which MyIde?

Megamania

Hi everybody,

I'm considering buying a MyIde interface to get my Atari(s) up and running again.

I see there are a few options out there and I'm looking for your advice. Here are my thoughts so far:

- I want the cartridge version because I have 4 atari 8-bit computers (and wouldn't find the time to do the soldering anyway).

- I thought I would get the basic version of the cart, then I saw the option which includes the 256Mb flash key - it's about twice the price, and I'm not sure it's worth it. IDE to CF interfaces appear to be very cheap and so do the compact flash cards. My doubt is if EVERY ide-cf adaptor works with MyIde, or if some of them need external power.

- While thinking about this, :) I saw the MaxFlash 8mbit Multicart. So I'm a bit lost now.

I honestly can afford spending a bit more money and get the MyIde cart + 256MB Flash memory, but I'm trying to understand what would be best for my needs.

One last thing, in case that matters: I already have a SIO2PC cable, and I'm a Linux user (Kubuntu, at the moment). I can use windows if strictly needed though.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Hi everybody,

I'm considering buying a MyIde interface to get my Atari(s) up and running again.

I see there are a few options out there and I'm looking for your advice. Here are my thoughts so far:

- I want the cartridge version because I have 4 atari 8-bit computers (and wouldn't find the time to do the soldering anyway).

- I thought I would get the basic version of the cart, then I saw the option which includes the 256Mb flash key - it's about twice the price, and I'm not sure it's worth it. IDE to CF interfaces appear to be very cheap and so do the compact flash cards. My doubt is if EVERY ide-cf adaptor works with MyIde, or if some of them need external power.

- While thinking about this, :) I saw the MaxFlash 8mbit Multicart. So I'm a bit lost now.

I honestly can afford spending a bit more money and get the MyIde cart + 256MB Flash memory, but I'm trying to understand what would be best for my needs.

One last thing, in case that matters: I already have a SIO2PC cable, and I'm a Linux user (Kubuntu, at the moment). I can use windows if strictly needed though.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Hi-

The Transcend CF module is supposed to be the "gold standard" as far as CF for MyIDE. If you read through the threads in the MyIDE forum, I believe you will find that you still have to make a solder connection to pin 20 on the cart to supply power to the module. Steve's Cart + Module is "plug and play," although you should confirm that with him. So that is the "value added" for the extra cost for the module. Similar modules can be purchased for $12-17 on eBay or about $32 for a Transcend (both estimates including shipping).

If using a CF card + "no-name" adapter, I have never found one that did not work, and I have accumulated several. Again, there are threads in the forum about all this.

Now, do you want to run this from pin 20? I found color shift during writes on my computers. I don't know how widespread this is, but the color shift comes from voltage drop, so I have made a separate connection to the power switch to supply the module. If you ask Steve, he probably can tell you if this is a very common issue. The most maligned module is the SimpleTech. Some folks complained that these just didn't work. I have several of them and they ALL work, but they appear NOT to work with the lower voltage of the pin 20 connection. Last, some folks solve the power connection issue by using a 5V exterior switching supply. Extra cord, but it is "portable" when you switch computers. As you said, lots of options.

Good luck, but whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll like the MyIDE -- a very nice product.

-Larry

Here's my take on the different versions.

Cartridge version:

Nice, since it is portable, and you can easily move it between computers. I believe that Steve is shipping them with the pin 20 power modification already done, but you should double-check with him. The flashloader written by Mr.Atari for the cartridge is first rate, and very easy to use. However, you should note that this is overlaying a RAM-based "patched" OS into the system, and that some software will not run from MyIDE with this setup.

Internal version:

The new internal version by Atarimax looks great, and easy to install. You can "flash" a new OS into it when Mr.Atari comes out with a new version. Since this is a ROM based OS, you will get the maximum compatibility with software (note however, that some software will just not work loaded from MyIDE even with a ROM based OS; Seven Cities of Gold being one notable title.) Of course, you are tied to one machine since it's built-in.

Either way you go, you should realize the limitations of each. It depends on what you want to do with it I guess, and how much space you have, how the compatibility issues might affect you, etc...

Personally, I am running a cartridge version (a prototype version Steve sent me a long time ago) with a ROM-based OS (Atarimax 32-in-1 OS upgrade). I have one main hard drive that I have over 450 disk images installed on so far. It find it very convenient to be able to fire up the MyIDE and load a game, rather than turn on my SIO2PC setup, wait for it to boot windows, etc...

If I were to give any advice though, I'd suggest getting a SIO2PC setup FIRST (Atarimax sells that too!)

If I were to give any advice though, I'd suggest getting a SIO2PC setup FIRST (Atarimax sells that too!)

First of all, thanks Mimo, Larry, and Shawn for your kind advice!

I had no idea there was a MyIde forums - my bad.

I already have a Sio2Pc cable which I haven't used in ages though - last time I was still using Windows (early 2005), so I should make up my mind and check the linux version of the software.

It was my intention to have an independent setup (i.e. without the need to turn on the PC with a sio2pc cable), and that's the reason why I'm looking into MyIde.

I didn't know about SIO2SD either. I searched for it and it looks interesting.

In the end, what I'd like to do is to have the possibility to copy the entire atari collection (or most of it) on a card. That's why I thought of the MyIde cartridge + Transcend Flash as a good choice. Would I be able to copy ATRs to it and use them easily?

Now my girlfriend is waiting for me, so... I have to sign off. :-)

But I really appreciate your help, guys. I have been away from this for far too long.

I already have a Sio2Pc cable which I haven't used in ages though - last time I was still using Windows (early 2005), so I should make up my mind and check the linux version of the software.

Best software to use for Linux + SIO2PC is AtariSIO: http://www.horus.com/~hias/atari/atarisio/

Get the version with the most recent date (071014 at the moment)

I didn't know about SIO2SD either. I searched for it and it looks interesting.

Unless things have changed drastically in the past year, Linux can't read SD cards... doesn't stop you from using the SIO2SD though: it and Linux both support the older MMC cards. Just something to be aware of...

In the end, what I'd like to do is to have the possibility to copy the entire atari collection (or most of it) on a card. That's why I thought of the MyIde cartridge + Transcend Flash as a good choice. Would I be able to copy ATRs to it and use them easily?

There is great software created by Hias (check the Atarimax forums) called MyIDEtool that allows you to use your PC to write the images to a CF card. That would be the easiest way without having a SIO2PC setup, and the fastest. The newest version 0.30 or better is even compatible with the software I wrote for MyIDE, called MyIDE Image Manager.

Unless things have changed drastically in the past year, Linux can't read SD cards... doesn't stop you from using the SIO2SD though: it and Linux both support the older MMC cards. Just something to be aware of...

Nowadays most SD (or multi-) card readers connect to the USB interface and present themselves as standard "USB mass storage" device(s). I'm using a simple, cheap multicard reader (CF, SD/MMC, Smartmedia, Memorystick) which works fine with Linux (even 2.4.x kernels). I use it to transfer data to my SD card (for SIO2SD) and also with my MyIDE Tool (CF cards).

Some (older?) laptops had special SD-card readers that were connected directly to the PCI bus, which can cause problems in Linux. The kernelconfig (2.6.23.9) only list 3 controllers (generic, Windbond, TI) of which only the Winbond is marked as stable (both others are "experimental").

so long,

Hias

So... thanks to all your suggestions, a new world has opened. But too much choice can be scary... :)

If I understood things correctly, I managed to narrow the choices to:

- SIO2SD: would be the easiest thing (partition the card from the pc, copy the files from the pc to the card, stick it into SIO2SD and use it).

- MyIde Cartridge: could do the same as SIO2SD if I use a CF card + adaptor, but some soldering may be (will be?) needed.

- MyIde+Transcend: no soldering, but I would have to use the SIO2PC cable to transfer files because I'd be unable to write directly from the pc to the card.

Is that correct? I'm a bit confused.

Also, is it possible to buy the SIO2SD interface, or is it still diy? I checked ebay and found none.

So... thanks to all your suggestions, a new world has opened. But too much choice can be scary... :)

- SIO2SD: would be the easiest thing (partition the card from the pc, copy the files from the pc to the card, stick it into SIO2SD and use it).

- MyIde Cartridge: could do the same as SIO2SD if I use a CF card + adaptor, but some soldering may be (will be?) needed.

- MyIde+Transcend: no soldering, but I would have to use the SIO2PC cable to transfer files because I'd be unable to write directly from the pc to the card.

Also, is it possible to buy the SIO2SD interface, or is it still diy? I checked ebay and found none.

SIO2SD is still available, I got mine recently from MegaHz in Germany, Have to put your own SIO cable on it, but maybe MegaHz could do it for you?

Well, deciding is really hard. As for me, I haven't yet found the perfect solution, therefore I'm using SIO2PC, SIO2SD and MyIDE in parallel. Each of them has their pros and cons:

SIO2PC (with AtariSIO on my Linux box) is really fine if you want to quickly test some programs. You don't need to transfer data to some SD/CF/harddrive, just start atariserver and power up your Atari. The con is that you need a PC nearby and that the transfer speed isn't as fast as with MyIDE. OTOH you have full compatibility with all software, can quickly exchange images and also you can emulate multiple drives (D1: - D8:) at the same time.

SIO2SD is as compatible with software as SIO2SD, has the advantage that you don't need a PC and that it can be setup a little bit faster when reading images (writing is a lot slower, though) than SIO2PC, but you have to transfer the disk images to your SD card first.

MyIDE is the fastest of the three devices, and you can even play movies from your harddrive or CF card to impress your friends :-) As with SIO2SD you have to transfer your ATR images to the CF card (or harddrive) first, and you have the drawback that it's not 100% compatible with all software. If you are using the MyIDE OS ROM, compatibility is quite OK, but if you are using the FlashCart with the "Soft OS", compatibility isn't too great (since it's using the RAM under the OS ROM).

I've got both a MyIDE Flash Cart and also built an internal (homebres, simple GAL + bus driver) MyIDE interface with a CF-card adaptor into my Atari. The CF slot is reachable from outside (mounted just above the SIO connector of my 800XL) so that I can easily swap CF cards. I use the FlashCart only for testing purposes, when I really want to use the MyIDE interface I do it with the MyIDE OS plus my CF card. I should also note that I built a multi-OS ROM into my Atari and have switches so that I can choose between standard OS/MyIDE/QMEG/old OS etc.

Syncing the CF card is easy (just remove it from the Atari and plug it into the card reader), with some little more effort it would also be possible with the transcend IDE module: power down your PC, connect it to a free IDE connector, power up your PC, transfer data, then shutdown the PC and plug it back onto your MyIDE interface. This is fine if you are doing it once in a while, but the powercycling process can be quite annoying if you want to do some quick tests.

Another note: Attaching a CF-IDE adaptor to your FlashCart results in a quite high stack - the Transcend module is quite smaller and therefore easier to transport etc. OTOH an internal MyIDE interface with a CF adaptor is invisible from the outside and easy to use (but requires quite a bit of time to build).

Conclusion: I can't help you deciding, you have to find out by yourself what's best for you.

Wolfram Fischer (mega-hz) from Germany builds and sells SIO2SD interfaces. Here's the URL (sorry, all in german):

http://mega-hz.no-ip.com/Angebote/SIO2SD/SIO2SD%20rev.2.html

I'm not sure if he published his e-mail address on his homepage, but here are some hints: His username is mega-hz, his provider is t-online, and he lives in germany (country code de).

so long,

Hias

SIO2SD is still available, I got mine recently from MegaHz in Germany, Have to put your own SIO cable on it, but maybe MegaHz could do it for you?

How about even more choices, since this expanded a bit from just MyIDE?

SIO2SD -- You might also want to check with Pigula who also builds these. I bought mine from him. There is a long thread here on this device.

SIO2USB -- Available from ABBUC. Fairly costly, but a very nice device complete with a case.

SIO2IDE -- available from this seller: http://atarifanstore.selfip.com/sio2ide.htm Another SIO device. Perhaps someone who has one of these can comment on how they like it? Here is a site in Polish that has more SIO2IDE info: http://atariki.krap.pl/index.php/SIO2IDE

I'm pretty sure that I have seen a similar English page, but can't find it at the moment.

Of these, I have the SIO2SD. It is a nice product that is very fast (for an SIO device). My only issue with it is using the small LCD screen and small buttons to select images. The SIO2IDE uses the Atari display to make selections. To me this is a more user-friendly system. I *believe* that the ABBUC device can be used either way -- LCD screen *or* Atari display for navigating ATR images.

Hias brings out a good point about the height of the AtariMax Flash Cart with one type of adapter. I use another type of adapter (eBay) and a very short IDE cable so that my CF card folds down behind the cartridge.

The new flash internal MyIDE can be flashed with any XL/XE compatible OS. If you for instance need an 800 OS, you flash it. Of course while you do not have the MyIDE OS in there, you can't use the MyIDE, but that is still a good trade-off for compatibility when the need arises.

> MyIde Cartridge: could do the same as SIO2SD if I use a CF card + adaptor, but some soldering may be (will be?) needed. <

Yes, depending on how you power it. Suggestion, if you want to use a card as opposed to module, see if Steve will modify it for you for a fee?

Also, there is a thread in the MyIDE forum that goes into the power connection: http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/vi...&highlight=

Decisions, decisions... ;)

-Larry

Of these, I have the SIO2SD. It is a nice product that is very fast (for an SIO device). My only issue with it is using the small LCD screen and small buttons to select images. The SIO2IDE uses the Atari display to make selections. To me this is a more user-friendly system.

ACK. The standard 2x16 LCD is way too small. 2x20 or 2x24 LCDs work, too, and provide much more space for longer filenames. I hope that some day they implement a scrolling feature that lets you see the whole filename (something like "Alternate Real" instead of "Alternate Reality The City Disk 1.atr" is quite annoying).

OTOH: the new 2.x SIO2SD firmware also includes built in software that lets you select images on your Atari. I configured SIO2SD so that it loads this menu when I press the Shift key (on the SIO2SD) during powerup.

Then you have the full flexibility. A major drawback of SIO2IDE is that you can't easily handle multi-disk games. With SIO2SD (and also SIO2USB and SIO2PC) you can swap disk images everytime you need to.

so long,

Hias

Guys... I have no words. You are amazing. I'm used to friendly communities (I'm a linux user), but your support is unbelievable.

Thanks for all your help.

MyIde has an appeal on me, and SIO2USB looks very nice, but appears to be too expensive for me.

I will decide shortly - at the moment SIO2SD is winning, but the final decision hasn't been taken yet. I will definitely let you know when I place my order.

Meanwhile, I'll try to find my sio2pc cable, install sio2linux and will hopefully start having fun again. :-)

The next step is to bring back to life my ST collection, which includes a Falcon 030 -- but that's another story.

Thanks again to you all!

Gianfranco

• 4 weeks later...
I will decide shortly - at the moment SIO2SD is winning, but the final decision hasn't been taken yet. I will definitely let you know when I place my order.

So... after a bit of thinking I decided to order a SIO2SD interface from Pigula.

The package arrived today (it took a while because I placed my order in the worst moment of the year for the post) and I'm very satisfied with it.

I configured it to load the on-screen configuration when shift is pressed on powerup (like Hias suggested), and I must say I don't think I'll regret my purchase. I'll just need some time to sort all my favourite programs out.

And I also installed AtariSio (which incidentally was my first experience at compiling in Linux), so my Atari collection is definitely back to life!

Thanks again you all!

p.s. Hias, if you're reading this - if you need any help with AtariSio, I'd be happy to give you all my assistance. I can't help you with programming (my last experiences were with C, 6502 machine language, and then Visual Basic...), but I'd like to support the good cause (i.e. linux+atari). :-)

p.s. Hias, if you're reading this - if you need any help with AtariSio, I'd be happy to give you all my assistance. I can't help you with programming (my last experiences were with C, 6502 machine language, and then Visual Basic...), but I'd like to support the good cause (i.e. linux+atari). :-)

Thanks for your offer! There are some things besides programming I could need help with:

- Testing (and sending me bugreports)

- Checking the docs

Especially testing would be a big help. Although the code is very stable there still might be some small bugs in it.

For example: recently I discovered that some 16550 implementations completely lock up when they receive data at a rate they don't support. This bug showed up when I tested my new highspeed code with a 1050 Turbo drive. Such things are quite tricky to find, but it wasn't too hard to fix it. So, if you run into something strange that you think should work, just send me an email.

The other things in my queue (re-writing the docs, finishing the man pages and implementing tape support) unfortunately were delayed again. The new year started with a server crash at our office and so I had to interrupt my holidays :-( I hope the server keeps running until the new hardware arrives and that I find some spare time for AtariSIO soon.

so long,

Hias