IGNORED

Anyone pick up Atari Advance for PSP?

tiggerthehun

I have to say, I truly agree with much of what's been said here about this release. My own opinion is that they should have called this "Atari Classics Devolved".

Pong is yet again another failed attempt to capture the arcade version, and I'm almost glad my technical adviser credit never made it in, because it looks like very little of it was followed. Besides the problems with Pong, all the emulated games are of poor quality. The emulated graphics on some of the games aren't much better than the GBA collections (including the vector lines which are fat and blocky). There's almost 0 original sounds as well - tempest's almost sounds like it was sampled off of those lcd keychain games. How hard would it have been to include samples from the original, the PSP is certainly capable of supporting them?

The "updated" versions are terrible as well. The graphics and game play can only be described as typical shareware/homebrew style. I.e. low level untextured 3d graphics with overdone lighting, obligatory mushy color explosions everywhere (in an attempt to say "look, modern explosions!"), etc. In some cases as people have reported, they move to far from the original game play and as someone said to me, from the very formula that made the game popular in the first place.

Just doesn't make any sense. Have to chalk it up to people not as familiar with the games as they should be being hired to develop it, and a starving management desperate to get a product out for Christmas (which they wound up missing anyways).

Thank you! this is exactly how i feel about this game the other thing that burns me up is i payed money for this thing i should have unfettered access to all portions of this game and not have to complete idiotic tasks to unlock things.

Thank you! this is exactly how i feel about this game the other thing that burns me up is i payed money for this thing i should have unfettered access to all portions of this game and not have to complete idiotic tasks to unlock things.

I downloaded a gamesave from a Google search and it unlocked all the 2600 games. Not a big deal to access them if you really want to.

Bill

This game is pretty much terrible all around. The Evolved games aren't interesting enough to warrant buying it, and the regular versions of these games, both arcade and 2600, are emulated so poorly, it almost feels like they rewrote them for one of those crappy NES-on-a-chip emulation toys, and then ported them to PSP.

MAME4ALL PSP and PSP2600 both deliver flawless emulation of all the games in this collection, and a whole lot more that atari stupidly left out.

Don't waste your money. Dowgrade your PSP to Custom Firmware and download the Emulators. You'll be much happier.

• 2 weeks later...