IGNORED

TOP 5 BEST arcade games EVER

GreenDayRlz

1. Star Wars

2. Donkey Kong

3. Galaga

4. Mortal Kombat II

5. Jurassic Park

There was this police officer game at chukee cheeses I used to play ALL THE TIME but unfortunately I forget the name, hopefully I can remember. Anyway if I remembered the name that'd take the place of Jurassic Park.

Pac-Man-To me this game is the greatest ever because its fun,everyone can play it,and there is a level of challenge to it.

Space Invaders-This has a very important game to me as it was the first ever arcade game/video game i ever played.

Crazy Climber-I have really fond memories of playing Crazy Climber at our local bowling alley growing up and so i just love this game.

Road Blasters-A simple but fun racing game that always reminds me of a 3-D Spy Hunter and its not very hard to jump into and start playing.

Dragon's Lair-Ok who wasnt blown away by this game when they first saw it at there local arcade or Chuck E. Chesse's it was a freakin' cartoon you could play.

A hard choice, but nostalgia would dictate a few.

1. Galaga - probably the game that received the most of my money. Played it once using the Stage 4 cheat and proved the Stage 0 bug/restart. Although, I think the best I was able to do without the non-shooting trick was 40 or so stages. This is one of the few early 1980s games with graphics and sound that still stand up today.

2. Rygar - I was shocking at it and barely played it as a coin-op. But, probably the game I've played more than any other since I started using MAME.

3. Puzzle Bobble 3 - a great game from a series which prospered when arcades were quickly dying out. I never played it as a coinop, but play the various flavours through emulation. I used to play Puzzle-de-Pon a lot on MAME, but the Bub/Bob variants of the theme are a lot better.

4. Twin Cobra. A tight one with other classic v-scrollers like Exerion, Tiger Heli, Flying Shark, Slapfight and Gemini Wing in the mix. But TC was probably the best of the lot.

5. Black Tiger/Dragon. Combined the best elements of combat, platform and shooting games into one sleek package.

Edited by Rybags

Space Invaders Pt 2 (not SI part 1, and not SI Deluxe)

Robotron

Donkey Kong

Galaga

Major Havoc

Major Havoc was tough to keep off my Top 5 list.

It would definitely be my #6.

Lots of love for Crazy Climber. (The arcade game, not the AA member, although there is lots of love for him too :P ) I don't think any of my local arcades had one so I feel a bit out of the loop. I have played it on my MAME cab and have it set up to use my X-Arcade dual stick so I even get the two joystick aspect.

Maybe if I pumped it full of quarters I would have some more love for it.

I will fire it up tonight and try to look with my 1985 14 year old eyes and try to get a different perspective.

Edited by therealred5

My list was going to be Pong, Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Street Fighter 2, and Daytona - but if we're writing our favorites...

5. Virtua Fighter 2 - The final underwater dance makes no sense; it's only there for the quiet bullet time grace. A meditation where every thought has a consequence; it's a one of a kind experience.

4. Dragon's Lair - As much about not touching buttons as it is knowing which buttons to touch. Holding back until the moment is right goes against every natural instinct...

3. Ghouls 'n Ghosts - Every small step further is it's own reward.

2. Guilty Gear XX - I swear I've met these people...

1. Gyruss - Galaga is the best pure shooter made, but this is the best shooter story ever told. I know one day I'll find my way back home.

Lots of love for Crazy Climber. (The arcade game, not the AA member, although there is lots of love for him too :P ) I don't think any of my local arcades had one so I feel a bit out of the loop. I have played it on my MAME cab and have it set up to use my X-Arcade dual stick so I even get the two joystick aspect.

Maybe if I pumped it full of quarters I would have some more love for it.

I will fire it up tonight and try to look with my 1985 14 year old eyes and try to get a different perspective.

Yeah.. lots and lots of love for Crazy Climber here as well... Personally though for me it HAS to be the Japanese version. The U.S. version just doesn't sound right with the "go for it" and "oh noo". I much prefer the jap version which I grew up with, with it's wackier voices (e.g. "bambala!") :lol: Play that in Mame if you get a chance :)

One thing I've noticed over the years is sometimes people who play Crazy Climber only recently don't realize you can get hit by falling objects as long as you got both hands holding a ledge... which is of course a primary element of the entire gameplay. I see them trying to avoid the flowerpots and I gotta tell them they're only making the game a lot harder :P

Edited by NE146

80's arcade games are the best. What a wonderfully unique time in which just about everyone was putting quarters into these things!

Absolutely one of the greatest times to have been growing up.

Throughout Jr High we used to play arcade games at the 7-11 before the 'school bus' came (for lack of a better description) and after school. Mysterious shortage of quarters at my home at that time.

Here's my top 5:

Crazy Kong: I played this much more than DK and kicked ass at it (atleast I got my money's worth)

Zaxxon: I was totally enthralled by the audio-visuals and the 3-D aspect was unique

Star Wars: same as Zaxxon

Robotron 2084: total adrenaline rush and using 2 joysticks to play made it ergonomically appealing

Phoenix: one of the best shooters of all time with 5 screens and beating that bad-ass mothership made you feel like you accomplished something. I HOPE someone soon can do a faithful homebrew of it on the Colecovision, 5200/8- bit, or 7800 - PLEASE!!!!

A few honorable mentions: Asteroids, Scramble, Zookeeper, Time Pilot, and Frenzy

Edited by chuckwalla

Galaga - Thank god the one in my local had easy access to put it to free play..lol...

Street Fighter VS Marvel - Just cause of the constant fresh competition to play agenest when I played it in Toronto.

Duck Hunt - The NES version sucks rocks compaired to the real arcade version, plus you get a rifle instead of a hand gun.

Mortal Kombat 1 - It blew me away first time I played it, I spent like 10 bucks on it right away. I didn't want to leave the machine to get change.

Galaga

R-Type

Ghosts n Goblins

Outrun

I used to feed Gauntlet countless quarters, not so much fun when you can play it for free. Go figure.

Honorable mentions to Crystal Castles, Rampage, Pole Position, Tempest, Xevious, Xain'd Sleena and Pacman.

Yeah.. lots and lots of love for Crazy Climber here as well... Personally though for me it HAS to be the Japanese version. The U.S. version just doesn't sound right with the "go for it" and "oh noo". I much prefer the jap version which I grew up with, with it's wackier voices (e.g. "bambala!") :lol: Play that in Mame if you get a chance :)

One thing I've noticed over the years is sometimes people who play Crazy Climber only recently don't realize you can get hit by falling objects as long as you got both hands holding a ledge... which is of course a primary element of the entire gameplay. I see them trying to avoid the flowerpots and I gotta tell them they're only making the game a lot harder :P

It's nice to see all the love for my fav game. :D I'll hafta try the Japenese version, but I like "Oh no!" myself. I would think the game is near impossible until ya figure out that he can survive a blow to the head. I love the "Uh" sound he makes. Also, I think my favourite part is the bird and what his weapons are... I don't care what the officials say, that bird's not droppin' eggs. ;)

Cheers,

Smeg

5 Wizard of Wor - It talked! Very cool for the time period. Two player co-op was fun, just don't shoot your buddy.

4 Super Pac Man - Probably the least popular Pac Man, but I liked this one the best. Part of that was a local party store had this game and I played it more than others.

3 Smash TV - Another fun two player game. I enjoyed this more than Robotron.

2 Daytona USA - Expensive to play, but way fun. 4-8 player Daytona was a blast. This game made me buy a Sega Saturn. The 2 Saturn versions left alot to be desired, but the Dreamcast version was great.

1 Galaga - Huge improvement over Galaxian and Space Invaders. This game was everywhere. Can still be found everywhere. This is the game I played my last quarter on as a kid and did the "enemies stop firing" trick to make that last quarter last a long time. Played it normally too of course.

Hmmm.......Well, sorry I took so long 2 get back on.

I don`t understand it!

ROBOTRON?!

Ok, it IS an AWSOME game, but Not as good as Defender,DK,Tempest(This game is wicked, let me mention) or many others.

I don`t understand, but there is alot of different picks.

Also-for the 2 that said I gave SG an honorable mention- I don`t think it is as good as defender because it is just 2 mixed up.

Now defender 3, thats different...