IGNORED

High Velocity Bowling

ManShowBoy

Not trying to change the topic but...... After making a couple of $10 purchases from the PS Store that I instantly regretted after installing them, I'm now holding out on buying any games unless Sony start's releasing demo's of them.

Xbox Marketplace has it together when it comes to providing demo's of every Arcade game available for purchase and there really is no reason why Sony can't do the same thing. Others may disagree and that's okay but I'm just tired of wasting money on games that are less than fun.

Now, with that said, I'll be interested in hearing what you think of HVB after you've given it a try. I'm especially curious as to how the Six Axis is used in the game and whether the game is a Wii-Sports bowling "rip-off" like some people are claiming.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

I played this game for a couple hours last night and thought it was a lot of fun. There is a bit of a learning curve but once you learn to keep your power in the green zone it's a lot easier. I like that there are different oil patterns on the lanes depending on where you bowl. There is a nice reward system for improving your game, with unlockable characters, bowling balls and lots of patches to collect. It's a lot of fun and will make a great party game imho. The custom soundtrack option is a nice little extra as well. :) It's the best bowling game I have ever played and it was only $10. I'll definitely get my money's worth out of this one.

How does it compare to Wii Sports bowling? I think Wii Sports bowling is GREAT, but wouldn't mind a setting that was more realistic and less cutesy. Is High Velocity Bowling a Wii bowling substitute?

That was my first thought too....

Wii Sports bowling is excellent, but I thought it could use some more options. Simple stuff like midnight bowling, bumper bowling, varied oil conditions lane to lane, etc.

How does it compare to Wii Sports bowling? I think Wii Sports bowling is GREAT, but wouldn't mind a setting that was more realistic and less cutesy. Is High Velocity Bowling a Wii bowling substitute?

Wii Sports bowling is a fun mini-game.

High Velocity bowling is more of a complete game. Now if you just want to bowl, then it is very easy to pick up and play a game with 4 people, just like Wii bowling, but it has a lot more depth to it than any other bowling game I remember.

The different bowlers you can choose from have varying ability ratings. The lanes have different oiling patterns. There are lots of different bowling balls that have their own hook rating. You can easily switch between left-handed and right-handed bowling. There are tournaments, one-on-one battles, and trick-shot competitions to enter where you unlock more characters, bowling balls and trophies. You can also earn a lot of patches by converting different spares and bowling high games and high series. All together it makes for a nice reward system, and a good incentive to improve your game.

The game shows you how to hold the controller and I think it works really well. You basically hold the controller vertically, tilting it left and right to position your character on the approach and pushing X to set where you want to stand. Then you tilt the controller left and right to control your aiming arrow on the lane, and push X to set in in place. Now your bowler approaches the lane and you swing the controller like a regular bowling swing. How fast you swing forward determines how hard you throw the ball. If you throw it too hard the power bar will turn red and your throws won't be as accurate, so try to keep it in the green. The analog L2 and R2 buttons are used to put spin on the ball. How much spin depends on how hard you hold in the button. If you want to throw the ball straight, just don't push in L2 or R2. L3 and R3 turns on or off the oiling pattern overlay. You can leave it on the whole game if you want.

Getting your swing speed down probably won't take very long. The bigger challenge is holding in the L2 or R2 button where you want. After a bit of practice I'm sure anyone could get the hang of it, and if you can't you can always throw it straight. :)

Last but not least, the game lets you use your own music. All you have to do is press the Select button and it will bring up your music list. Definitely a nice extra.

I think it's the best bowling game I have ever played, and I hope a lot of other people will enjoy it as much as I do.

Wii Sports bowling is a fun mini-game.

High Velocity bowling is more of a complete game. Now if you just want to bowl, then it is very easy to pick up and play a game with 4 people, just like Wii bowling, but it has a lot more depth to it than any other bowling game I remember.

I grabbed HVB today, and I've got to say it's good. :cool: I was skeptical about the controls when I read about them, but it actually works well. I've wanted a bowling game like this that has more of the realism and less of the preschool look. There's just enough added in here to make it challenging while still retaining the pick up and play vibe. For $10, definitely a good deal.

Thank god as I've had quite enough of weeble bowling. :lol: