IGNORED

What do you think is the best gaming magazine?

My favorite's were the old ones. Joystik, Electronic Games, and yes I did like Vidiot.

Current mags I guess EGM is good. But they've lost a lot of the "soul" that they used to have it seems. I guess they're just too big now or something. :/

Game Informer sucks,all they do is hate on Nintendo and give crappy Xbox games a high score.Gamepro now sucks,they have no info.Nintendo Power is for 7year olds and also sucks.

As for the good ones,EGM still rules,and OPM and Tips & Tricks come in second and third. :D :roll: ;)

Well, I happen to prefer The Atari Times Year End magazines even though they only come out once a year... But I'm biased! :wink:

If I had to pick a video game magazine, I think Next Generation was the best. Too bad they went kafloey.

As for the living magazines (particularly GamePro & EGM)... They stink. They don't have any solid direction as to what they want to do. The order of most of the pages are so screwey you can never be sure if it's a preview, an update, a review, or what. XBN and PSM are better because they have a focus, but I don't have an Xbox or PS2 or GC, so I never read them.

I spend most of my gaming magazine time reading PC Gamer anymore. They're the best.

Yeah I can't stand any of the current publications that deal with consoles, you don't seem to get any useful information about games and systems they are totally geared for advertising, which is cool if I didn't have to pay for it and if it was already advertised on TV and the internet.

The only gaming magazine I like now is Computer Games which used to have the fun name of Computer Games Strategy Plus. I find they have better coverage and reviews than PC Gamer which I used to read and I used to like the Demo CD before I got a cable modem :)

Fine,have your GI.

For those of you who don't know,in Tips & Tricks they have a classic gaming/collectors section in it written by Joe from Digital Press and it's good too. :roll:  :D  :P

I used to love tips & tricks, how long has that classic gaming section been in it?

The best video game magazines were the ones from the early to mid 1980's, especially the original Electronic Games which I feel was the best video game magazine ever. After that, the next best would be Video Games & Computer Entertainment (spiritual successor to EG), and the first 4-5 years of both GamePro and EGM--all from 1988-1994.

Next Generation was a great magazine when it first started in the mid 1990's, but in the last 2-3 years it degenerated into a heavily biased parody of itself. That magazine deserved to die, and the jerks who "wrote" (I use that term loosely) for that magazine deserve to be unemployed for the rest of their natural lives.

EGM is much the same way now. The only difference is that they haven't gone kaput yet. Seeing as how Ziff-Davis (EGM's publisher) is teetering on the brink of bankruptcy, it'll be dead soon enough.

I don't think there are really any great video game magazines today. GamePro is OK, not as good as it once was, but it's improved a lot from where it was a year or two ago. Play is OK, too; they might be great if only they'd get rid of the goofy movie and Japanese animation sections. I don't know why some video game magazines (like Game Fan and Gamer's Republic and now Play) feel like they have to devote 20 pages a month to Japanese animation (and yet they completely ignore Disney and other good home-grown American animation), when those pages could be put to much better use covering video games. Official PlayStation Magazine (also published by Ziff-Davis) is OK, mainly for the demo disc though.

Hmmm, Joystick was GREAT back in the ol' days, just a pain to find.....I treated each issue like it was gold, since it may be awhile until I was able to get another.... Atari Age was cool for it's time too, looked forward to seeing them in the mail.... more recent ones, Next Generation was very good but kinda fell off more recently before their demise, EGM is too goofy for me ( is SushiX still on staff? :roll: ) likewise with GameFan, Gamers Republic is decent, but mostly what I read is online anymore