IGNORED

Should we presume Atari800win plus is dead?

Mclaneinc

No word on it, no contact from Jtaskier...

Seems a shame.

I'm not a fan of Atari+++ because of the SDL interface and being honest I find it ugly (no offence to the porter!!)

The only good news is that the Atari800 team have said they want to rewrite it with a view to it being better than Atari800win plus :)

Until such a thing happens, A800Win+ is by far the best 8 bit emulator in my view - I've never bothered to use anything else in the last 5 or so years.

What it needs is for someone to pick up the project.

It could fall by the wayside, especially with moves recently to improve the emulation of POKEY (e.g. the "Reset Polycounters" thread).

What do you exactly need? My version of emulator works fine without contact from Jaskier :)

Its behind in the production of Atari800 which its based upon, the recent updater of Atari800win plus seems to have done nothing in updating the code.

I reverse the question, what's the purpose of taking on a project that you don't update?

Don't get me wrong, I love the emulator but you strive to make the emulator the best it can be.

I thought this project is still supported and it is still being upgraded. Atari800Win Plus 4.0 is very stable and rarely have any issues. This is where I downloaded the latest version from: http://www.a800win.atari-area.prv.pl. Only thing I can see being added is if new hardware becomes available like videoboard XE or 65816 upgrades.

Let's be patient, as the Atari800 emulator is being rewritten from scratch right now, and one of the goals is to include the Windows GUI into the emulator's source, thereby making the WinPlus obsolete.

Yup, I said that in the main post, just a shame to see Plus stalled, like many I had some tiny actual input into the emu and it's always been a fave of mine.

I think some thought I was suggesting that it was inferior in some ways to other emu's, that's not the case, in fact it's head and shoulder above all 'feature wise'. What I meant was that the heart of any emulator is that it emulates as near as pefrect to the real machine, that's where some emu's have just little advantages, nothing major but it would have been nice to see them bolted on to plus.

What I miss most, although it's not necessarily top of the list of it's needs, is either the ability to stretch the display, or at least run it in a bigger window.

It was all well and good in the days of 15 inch monitors at 800x600 or even 17" at 1024x768. But on my 19" WS @ 1440x900 the window is just tiny, and I don't particularly like running emus in fullscreen when I'm multitasking and/or doing productivity type work on the Atari.

Seems a shame.

I'm not a fan of Atari+++ because of the SDL interface and being honest I find it ugly (no offence to the porter!!)

The only good news is that the Atari800 team have said they want to rewrite it with a view to it being better than Atari800win plus :)

I rarely use the emulator, but I when I do, I use Atari800win plus. I'm curious -- what advantages does Atari800 (or a re-write) potentially give? My point is that instead of starting from "square one" with Atari800, why wouldn't the same group pick up "plus" since the source code is available and it is quite further developed? Unless this is a Linux project. (?)

-Larry

Seems a shame.

I rarely use the emulator, but I when I do, I use Atari800win plus. I'm curious -- what advantages does Atari800 (or a re-write) potentially give? My point is that instead of starting from "square one" with Atari800, why wouldn't the same group pick up "plus" since the source code is available and it is quite further developed? Unless this is a Linux project. (?)

-Larry

Pass, the A800 team do love a multi platformability so there might be part of a reason but I seem to remember it being said that sound wise etc the code has been rehashed many times and it was decided that a clean start using all the idea's learned was the best way?

....better would be G2F for bigger window screen... ;)
Yea! I would like to see that too.. I asked if maybe the zoom mode could have the main tools added for setting the dli's and pm's as it gets difficult sometimes to see what you're doing with high pc resolutions. Perhaps when I mentioned it back then I didn't explain what I meant clearly enough Edited by Tezz

I'm curious -- what advantages does Atari800 (or a re-write) potentially give? My point is that instead of starting from "square one" with Atari800, why wouldn't the same group pick up "plus" since the source code is available and it is quite further developed? Unless this is a Linux project. (?)

-Larry

Pass, the A800 team do love a multi platformability so there might be part of a reason but I seem to remember it being said that sound wise etc the code has been rehashed many times and it was decided that a clean start using all the idea's learned was the best way?

That's correct. Moreover, WinPlus is only a Windows port of Atari800, with no additional functionality apart from the GUI. So there is hardly anything worth picking up, anyway.

Edited by Kr0tki