IGNORED

Best CD repair device?

SRGilbert

I haven't tried that version of the Skip Dr. but i do have the manual version with the hand crank and i gotta say it does work! I had a bunch of CD's that fell behind the seat of my truck and bounced around back there for awhile so you can well imagine what they looked like and after one or two uses of the Skip Dr. they work fine. I also had a copy of Gex for my 3DO and it brought it back just fine.

The only problem i have run into is the resurfacing wheel, they claim about 50 uses out of it and i got nearly that many however when i went back to Staples to get replacement wheels....well they don't carry them in fact no one seems to carry the replacement wheels so i order them online other than that i'm happy with the product.

The only problem i have run into is the resurfacing wheel, they claim about 50 uses out of it and i got nearly that many however when i went back to Staples to get replacement wheels....well they don't carry them in fact no one seems to carry the replacement wheels so i order them online other than that i'm happy with the product.

Where online did you order the replacement wheel? I could use one of those!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend who uses a small dab of break cleaner. He said it works wonders. He is 60 years old, not a BSing teenager. he has also put a DVD-R in the DISHWASHER, ran it FULL CYCLE, and said it worked amazingly well!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I have a friend who uses a small dab of break cleaner. He said it works wonders. He is 60 years old, not a BSing teenager. he has also put a DVD-R in the DISHWASHER, ran it FULL CYCLE, and said it worked amazingly well!!!

I've often used dishsoap and water on my CDs to take off fingerprints and dirt. Nothing special there, just make sure to use a very soft cloth or paper towel to avoid scratches when you dry it. (Actually I have even stuck wet CDs in my players and allowed them to 'spin dry' - not recommended!)

Also I once put a computer ball mouse in a sink to cure some sticking. After drying it ran fine. Sometimes modern technology is more resilient than you think. I've been especially fascinated with how well my 25-year old Atari 8-bit disks have held up, now that I'm trying to back them all up with SIO2PC.

Wow, thats a bit of a risk, surely the salt will kill the disc surface :?:

Well, I went ahead and got the SkipDR at CompUSA. They are closing so it was at 15% off, not great, but the cheapest I've seen. I also got a replacement kit while I was at it.

Only tried it once a little bit a go, but it does seem to do the job. I had a copy of Sonic Adventures for Dreamcast that wouldn't work but now it does. One thing this thing DOESN'T do is give you a like new surface! I thought at first it might be making it worse! :)