IGNORED

Rotary Controler on Ebay - Only 2 days left!

Tyrant

Well I finally finished my first rotary controler for sale, and its up and listed. I hope to make more, but my time is remarkably scarce, so I can't gaurentee when, obviously it also depends on the interest in this one.

So, go and get bidding, I'll post worldwide and for this one, shipping is FREE! :)

Links for: Ebay.co.uk / Ebay.com

Umm... technically possible yes, but no games would support it. Support for special controler types has to be writen into the core of a game, and while it is possible (Atari were going to do it), no games support it and I dont think anyone is making any new driving games that could.

There are two ways I could sell them, either make up a large batch, post on both here and the JI2 and get people to submit email addresses and form a waiting list, or put them on ebay as I finish each one.

Since an auction on Ebay lasts 7 days by default, I feel thats a much more fair way to do it, since I dont plan on producing huge numbers, and I hate the idea that people will miss out simply because I posted at a time they wernt looking at the board and everyone else got there first. I realise prices on ebay can get a little... excessive, but I *will* make more, Im not sure how many more, but I will make more, so I hope everyone who wants one can have one at a reasonible price. Im not in this for the money (tho obviously its all useful, especially considering I dont have a job at the moment), but because there are no other source of rotary controlers (well except Jedi Jeff's 5 new ones, but I didnt know about them when I put it up).

Hehe, I've no idea, as you said its the first one I've sold :)

Its already up higher than I would have thought, and its still got the best part of a week to go. I realise prices may get a little scarry at times (Ebay does tend to do that), but I still think its better than making a waiting list and selling them for a fixed price. More people get to see it this way so shouldnt feel they missed out because they were asleap or away when I announced it. Also, as synical as it sounds, the more the early ones make the more likely I am to make more of them, and the price will drop dramaticly as people who have one arnt going to be bidding on another one (possible but unlikely).

I have lots of standard, sealed controlers, so I can keep making rotaries for a while, its just a case of getting the time (each one takes a good few hours to make).

Resolution isnt at all bad, 36 steps a revolution, not as much (I think) as your optical ones but it works briliantly, especially since the knob I use is only 28mm. Although the 36 is the highest they do, I dont think I would use anything more sensitive if it was availible.

As for the price it is now, I dont think its that unreasonable, since they do take a good few hours to assemble, and the parts arnt that cheap either. Also there's free international shipping on that one, and how many people offer that these days? I'll keep making them on and off until its unprofitible for me to do so, but Im not in this for the money.

Im curious as to how much your encoder mech's cost actually, since the only optical ones I could find cost a fortune. Or are you building them yourself with the detectors on a custom pcb? You've obviously got a lot more room to play arround with in a big case like that (the inside of a standard Jaguar pad has very little free space in it).

I think it's great your getting that much for it! I just remember years ago

when I was making the first 20 of mine, some people were going nuts

over the price. When I bought a batch of 25 of the optical encoders they

cost $22 each. The jag controllers were $10, the box 3.50, switch $3.30,

parts for the pcb that makes the optical rotary work with the jag $11.75,

I think the knobs were about $2, I can't remember how much the wire

was. Plus tax and shipping on all of the above of course.

Then it took a really long time to make all the boxes by hand.

I sold those at $75 each shipped. As far as I know, I'm still running a

deficit on this project until I sell at least 2 of the last 5.

Actually there's quite a lot of room inside the jag controllers. Most of it

is empty space. I opened up newer one and there's enough room to get

everything in there, even the switch.

Tempest in the arcade was right handed, so I made controllers that were

right handed. That's all.

Jeff

When I bought a batch of 25 of the optical encoders they cost $22 each.

Woot! that is cheap, when I was looking at different mechs the only optical ones I could find were stupid prices, like £70 (umm.. 90-100 us or so I think at a guess).

Actually there's quite a lot of room inside the jag controllers.

Yes there is, but it also isnt in very useful places, like all that empty space behide the main pcb, neatly divided up into 3 sections, except there's nothing really you can put there except perhaps a battery pack (yes I thought about making wireless controlers, no Im not going to do it). Also there is the problem of folding up all the cables so none get trapped when you put the back on, and on mine the encoder mech dosnt have much room between the front of the case and the back of the stand that held the pcb in place, so its hard closing it arround there. (Note to anyone who buys mine, dont open them, they're a b*tch to put back together and sometimes the screws get damaged since you need a fair bit of pressure).