IGNORED

What a great morning...

Pengwin

My 5 year old son woke me at the ludicrous hour of 6 am this morning, so I ambled downstairs with him, with the full intention of passing out in the armchair while he watched TV or played on the PS2. But I couldn't get back to sleep, so I decided to fire up Donkey Kong on Atari800MacX.

Suddenly, he lost interest in the TV. The PS2 became no fun. Oliver and I have spent the rest of the morning playing DK. What a blast.

(WARNING - I'm about to sound old now)

They just don't make games like they used to. When you get things like DK or Pac-Man or Frogger that stand the test of time, I think its a testament to the inginuity of the early 80's programmers.

Next I want to introduce him to Yoomp! I'm totally addicted to that game :D

There is a distinct lack of modern commercial games that you can just have a blast at for ten minutes, then put down and have had accomplished anything.

Unreal Tournament was one game that I could do that with.

I sometimes find that I get more out of the latest Flash game than some commercial titles.

Simplicity in a game can often be an attribute.

I would have a great morning if my wife wanted to play an Atari game with me. ;)

Can you guys post any success stories featuring your better halves and Atari computers/consoles?

It'd be nice to learn a few tips and tricks..... :-D

My ex-wife used to play Chu Chu Rocket obsessively on the Falcon. She also beat Flip Out like 3 times on the Jaguar. (game gets ridiculously hard in the end.... I never beat it). I'm pretty sure it was Pac-Mania we used to play on the Jaguar as well when I had a flash.

While my memory doesn't serve me properly right now, I'm nearly 100% positive we've spent several evenings playing some games on the 800 and 7800 as well.

I wanted to get my wife into Klax when Midway Arcade Treasures 1 came out (figured it'd be easy enough for her, she's intimidated by games w/ "too many things going on.") Surprisingly she dug Tapper & beat all my scores.

This Xmas she actually asked for the palm PDA vers. of MAT (5(?) games), just for Tapper. Boy was I happy.

Next mission: 2-player Gauntlet.

They just don't make games like they used to. When you get things like DK or Pac-Man or Frogger that stand the test of time, I think its a testament to the inginuity of the early 80's programmers.

There is a distinct lack of modern commercial games that you can just have a blast at for ten minutes, then put down and have had accomplished anything.....Simplicity in a game can often be an attribute.

Damn straight. :thumbsup:

Edited by RJ

re: wife

mine playes tetris, donkey konga, singstar, guitar hero, dance dance revolution...but getting her an 8bit to play...it only comes down to tetris...

re: classic games

yup. i fully agree...there not many games today which give you 10 minutes to play and have fun... so that's the reason i went for my xbox 360 and have some life arcade games (gyrus, galaga, gauntlet, jetpack, asteroids, geometry wars, giraffe, etc...)

i can not tell exactly how oftern i have spend money for

- asteroids (PS1, 360, GBA, NDS)

- dig dug (ps1,GBA, NDS)

- centipede (ps1,gba,nds)

hmmm... interesting...i spend really some money over the years for retro compilations esp. from digital illusion...or the namco classics or konami ones...

so...yeah... these kind of games are missing...simple to learn, hard to master, highscore saving...

Edited by Heaven/TQA

• 2 years later...

My 5 year old son woke me at the ludicrous hour of 6 am this morning, so I ambled downstairs with him, with the full intention of passing out in the armchair while he watched TV or played on the PS2. But I couldn't get back to sleep, so I decided to fire up Donkey Kong on Atari800MacX.

Suddenly, he lost interest in the TV. The PS2 became no fun. Oliver and I have spent the rest of the morning playing DK. What a blast.

(WARNING - I'm about to sound old now)

Next I want to introduce him to Yoomp! I'm totally addicted to that game :D

my 4yrold cousin the little man on my shoulders in my avatar loves wizard of war on my arcade