IGNORED

Are there any arcade ports you prefer over the original?

Pengwin

I was playing Donkey Kong the other day on emulation, and I wondered how different it was to the original arcade version. So I downloaded Mame and the applicable ROM and tried it out.

Whilst the Atari version is very close to the original, there are certain differences. However, I find myself preferring the Atari port. Dunno why, I just find it more fun.

Any other games where the ports are better?

I was playing Donkey Kong the other day on emulation, and I wondered how different it was to the original arcade version. So I downloaded Mame and the applicable ROM and tried it out.

Whilst the Atari version is very close to the original, there are certain differences. However, I find myself preferring the Atari port. Dunno why, I just find it more fun.

Any other games where the ports are better?

Joust

I've always preferred Atari 2600 Asteroids to the arcade version... but I never liked the 800/XL/XE Asteroids much.

I'm not sure it's *better*, but the 8-bit Space Invaders is a lot prettier than the arcade version (colors, smoother animation). If only they hadn't left out the shields...

The 8-bit Defender is definitely a lot easier to play than the arcade version. The arcade game has (slightly) better graphics and sound IMHO, but the control scheme means the only way to get good at it is to spent $lots of quarters, or own the cabinet yourself. If I'm allowed to stretch reality a bit and consider Dropzone to be a port of Defender, then I'll say I like Dropzone better than the original...

Most of the arcade game ports on the 8-bit were good enough that I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything. Centipede, Millipede, Pac-Man, Joust, Zaxxon, Donkey Kong, Pole Position, Gyruss, Qix were damn fine ports... but I never thought they were better than the arcade versions.

Actually I might like Pac-Man better on the 8-bit, just because you can start the game on the fast "key" level instead of having to play through the first 5 or so glacially-slow fruit levels.

I've played many arcade games with Mame but obviously all 8-bit ports are worse, not only graphically, but often also in the gameplay.

For example, I like very much Mario Bros XE port, but if you jump near the edge of the platform you are killed by enemies.

I disagree. Some of the ports (Donkey Kong in particular) have better gameplay. I found the arcade version too picky about positioning when trying to climb a ladder, which left me feeling infuriated. The A8 port feels much more responsive and fluid.

I like some of the earlier arcade ports on the 8-bit with the exception of Asteroids. I think they should have used the 320x192pixel mode with overscan enabled (will be 384x216) to give it more of the arcade look. Either version of Choplifter could have been done better. I thought the worst arcade port was the 2600 Pac-Man and agree that it was one reasons why the '83 video game crash happened. The 8-bit is a great platform for arcade game ports before the mid 80s. Think after that, the graphics just became too complicated to do properly on the 8-bit. I don't think the 8-bit could properly do games like Ikari Warriors or Hang On.

Agreed about Donkey Kong. The Atari version is much more "playable" and forgiving.

Robotron - well, it makes compromises on the computer. Movement is too jumpy for my liking, practically every object does character sized jumps.

Actually, I don't think I've played the arcade version, even under MAME, so no ruling on which I think is better there.

Space Invaders, IMO, is one game where they had every chance to make it better, but didn't.

Super Breakout is probably better, but of all versions the 2600 wins out in my books.

Does anybody have a wish list of Arcade games they want to see ported to the Atari?

No, but now that I think of it, I'd love a version of Asteroids Deluxe for the A8... preferably one with graphics like the 2600 Asteroids (multicolor, no attempt to simulate the arcade vector display), but with the extra enemies (cube, wedge) behaving as they do in the arcade game.

Maybe I'll get off my lazy ass and code it one day...

Think about DK you have to be mindful of barrels above you, whereas in the arcade it was less of a concern. In the higher difficulty levels kong throws too many barrels making it very difficult (lots of luck, really) to get to the top. The fire barrel level throws out too many fireballs on any level.

Joust is ok in it's own right but after trying to play it when used to the arcade it seems too floaty. So an adjustment period is needed there. Whereas when I started playing the arcade emulated version I was not used to having to hit the flap button so much. :lol:

Phoenix would be good.

Exerion would be good too. It was a much underrated v-shooter of the day.

Asteroids was a disappointment on virtually every home platform, but we might have something better on the way.

Galaga - but if it can't be done well, then it shouldn't be done at all.

I definitely agree about Joust.. I love the 8-bit port and would play it any day over the arcade version :)

I definitely disagree about Donkey Kong.. the 8-bit port has it's own gameplay, but the arcade game's gameplay and subtleties reign supreme. You can play the arcade for years and still be figuring it out really. That's not saying the 8-bit version isn't good.. it's awesome. But it almost stand's on it's own as it's really so different from the original.

I think the biggest appeal of the home version is that you could spend hours trying to master a game without constantly dumping quarters in the machine.

That usually leads to being better at the game and finding it more playable as a result.

I tend to prefer the arcade games but the level of difficulty tends to be higher and I've found some games appear to cheat.

By cheat I mean the collission detection or some other "feature" seems designed to kill you off. Such features seem less common in home games.

Does anybody have a wish list of Arcade games they want to see ported to the Atari? Maybe an improved version than what someone did originally? I always wanted to see a good scrolling shoot them up type game like 1941.

Atari Quantum. This would be a blast to play with a cx80 trackball:

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_i...89&letter=Q

I have found that after playing the A8 version of certain games for most of my life, I have either come to like them better than the arcade, or the arcade plays so much differently/harder that I prefer the A8 version.

Galactic Chase is a prime example for me. The arcade Galaxian is so much tougher.

Joust is another example. I can play all day on the A8, but the arcade bird feels heavier.

I do like Roklan's Deluxe Invaders over the arcade Space Invaders.

And I agree, I would LOVE to play an A8 version of Phoenix. I loved that game, especially the picking apart of the mother ship. That's my favorite level in Gorf. Also, Zoo Keeper would be great. Galaga, I don't have as much interest as I play a LOT of the NAMCO PSX version.

Cheers,

Smeg

I think the biggest appeal of the home version is that you could spend hours trying to master a game without constantly dumping quarters in the machine.

That usually leads to being better at the game and finding it more playable as a result.

I tend to prefer the arcade games but the level of difficulty tends to be higher and I've found some games appear to cheat.

By cheat I mean the collission detection or some other "feature" seems designed to kill you off. Such features seem less common in home games.

Not always true. In pacman arcade if a ghost is on your tail sometimes you can slip away by going around a corner. In the home version your dead meat!

Not always true. In pacman arcade if a ghost is on your tail sometimes you can slip away by going around a corner. In the home version your dead meat!

Very true.. you definitely had a lot more leeway in the ghosts in the actual arcade pacman.. like you could make their "skirts" ruffle on you right before a turn, etc. You definitely couldn't do that in the 8-bit version.. their little skirt-ends kill you immediately :P

You know I hear the myth that Galaga cannot really be done on the A8 because it does not have enough sprites and would be pretty hard to do. I think when some people state these, they are thinking in terms of Basic or traditional 8-bit programming. I just looked at the NES version and it would be difficult to do. I think something can be done Player/Missile Multiplexing, multicolor mode, and alternate frame flashing. Another option is to use some of the playfield graphics for some of the enemies, maybe Antic Mode 14 or 4(5 colors). It might be possible to get much closer. One option you have is not making an exact clone, but your own variation.

I was rather surprised there has never been a clone of Tempest on the 8-bit and is something I have been looking at a way of doing it closer to the Arcade. I know some people are trying to complete the 5200 version, and we have Livewire. I have always wonder why they drew everything small. All I can say is it is something everyone has to wait and see.