IGNORED

Is it possible to make a connector that

Phantom

you can plug an NES pad into one end and connect an atari 2600 extension cable to the other end and hence use the NES pads on a 2600???

Can it be made?

I have a NES pad that is modded for the 2600 and I will be usuing it all the time now. Made Colecovision so easy to play tonight with my keypad adapter. But Id love to be able to connect any NES Pad to a 2600 and such. I figure eventually I may waer out that nes pad and it would be neat to have such a device. I figure it would be the size of those autofire/hyper fire adapters that just go on the end of any cx40. I dont even know if this is the right place to bring it up but I figured I'd mention it.

Now the crafty people run with it! Cheers :)

Hi, Phantom.

It is possible to connect a NES controller to an Atari 2600, however it will require an internal modification of the NES controller (connect wires to your 9 pin plug for the 2600)

The NES controller "communicates" with its system in a different way than the 2600/Genesis/SMS do with their systems.

It can definitely be done. It just requires more modification than an external pin conversion.

OK well it sounds like its too much of a problem and I laready own a NES one I can use with my 2600 like I stated above. I bought it modded. The connector sounds like it wouldnt work because of the setup of the NES wiring. So thanks, you answered my question. Happy Hols. :)

It isn't just the wiring; the NES controller is considered a "smart" device. It stores the user inputs and then sends them as a serial data stream when requested by the console. See this link: Nintendo NES and SNES joystick controller pinout. By comparison, 2600 joysticks and 2-button Genesis pads are simple "dumb" devices which only consist of switches and wires.

To make an adapter which lets a VCS console see an unmodified NES pad as a 2600 joystick, you would have to build an electronic converter box which reverses this process, essentially communicating with the NES pad in the same way that a NES console would, and translating the output into "Atari" signals. To have someone like me build this for you would cost much more than just getting yourself a 2-button Genesis pad. On the other hand, if you're an electronics hobbyist who likes doing "pointless" projects or doing things the hard way, I'm sure some of us would enjoy reading a write-up of such a project if you should decide to build one.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

On the other hand, if you're an electronics hobbyist who likes doing "pointless" projects or doing things the hard way, I'm sure some of us would enjoy reading a write-up of such a project if you should decide to build one.

This post has been edited by A.J. Franzman: Today, 3:04 AM

Im an idea man! Im all thumbs LOL! Yea I'll just use th Genny controller if this one takes a crap on me eventually. IM a bit of a controller nut. I have so many different joys for the CV and atari, I dont have time to use them all and Im always trotting out a new one it seems. I think I'l just stick to my favorites. I even have that Joysensor, thats a neat controller for the CV. The NES one just fits so nicely in ones hand. I havent broken out my Genny in a long time. I have tried the controller once just to see because I didnt know it worked til about 2 years ago. I never heard of it til I saw it on a post here. Im gonna break out the Genny controller and give it a whirl. Thanks gang. Merry Christmas

• 2 weeks later...
you can plug an NES pad into one end and connect an atari 2600 extension cable to the other end and hence use the NES pads on a 2600???

Can it be made?

I have a NES pad that is modded for the 2600 and I will be usuing it all the time now. Made Colecovision so easy to play tonight with my keypad adapter. But Id love to be able to connect any NES Pad to a 2600 and such. I figure eventually I may waer out that nes pad and it would be neat to have such a device. I figure it would be the size of those autofire/hyper fire adapters that just go on the end of any cx40. I dont even know if this is the right place to bring it up but I figured I'd mention it.

Now the crafty people run with it! Cheers :)

It can be done without hacking the controller, but you'll need a small circuit. I immediately thought about a 74HC595, but I found this article. The article is in Spanish, but the schematic should be self-explanatory.

http://es.geocities.com/gamemasterquilpue/NESPAD2ATARI.htm