IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 16: Toyshop Trouble

Ze_ro

Finish the week as usual and continue the HSC as usual. When the .bin for TT is released allow those who could not play one week to post a score. Those who have already posted scores would not be allowed to post scores during this "second week." I know that would change the scoring some, but I'm just offering a possible solution.

Good thinkin'!! This would get my vote. I would add the following regarding the scoring. Simply wait to award any Toyshop Trouble points until "both" weeks have finished. Then a finaly tally/ranking can be done and points awarded.

Finish the week as usual and continue the HSC as usual. When the .bin for TT is released allow those who could not play one week to post a score. Those who have already posted scores would not be allowed to post scores during this "second week." I know that would change the scoring some, but I'm just offering a possible solution.

Sounds like a good idea to me... although, the second week would end up overlapping with a regular HSC week, so those of you who haven't been able to submit scores would have to split your time between two games.

--Zero

Sounds like a good idea to me... although, the second week would end up overlapping with a regular HSC week, so those of you who haven't been able to submit scores would have to split your time between two games.

--Zero

I have no problem with doing that. I play other games besides the HSC game anyway. :) I like Toymailmain's idea too of not posting scores for this week, until that second week. Nice addendum, Toy! :)

Excuse me for poking my head in again... most of these hints will be more useful for the "reprise" week (and I think anyone who had the game this week should still feel free to post scores during the "reprise" week)...

In the first few levels, you can get by if you stroll around, but to do well beyond that you must refine your technique well enough to run around most of the time without hitting too many toys erroneously. If you can manage to keep track of the which toys are half-painted and which ones are wrongly painted, you can travel around somewhat after if you completely ignore toys which are unpainted, painted the wrong color, or painted your current color; if they're in your path, just run over them. Although it's usually obvious when a toy is correctly painted, it's not obvious when a toy is half-painted; if you're not careful you can easily undo your work.

I would highly recommend using the "practice" function on each day up through December 24. Although "practice" plays don't count for the HSC competition (and it's not possible to get a good score in them regardless) they will allow you to refine your skills at the later levels without having to constantly play through the earlier ones. Yes, I know the firetrucks-only level is silly and boring, but once you've reached a level, up through December 24, you may practice it as many times as you want without having to replay earlier levels. You only have to replay earlier levels when you want to advance.

Although the "Practice" option is not available for the January levels, those levels don't offer anything new over the December levels except for an increased toy quota. To get good at those levels, practice on the corresponding levels in December until you can clear them quickly (much faster than is required in the December levels). Once you're good at the December levels, those skills will translate into the January ones.

Completing the middle rounds quickly may net a nice time bonus. In the early rounds, the bonus multiplier is too low for the time bonus to mean much; in the later rounds, there's not likely to be much time on the clock at the end. In the middle rounds, though, you may have a fair number of ticks, multiplied by a decent multiplier.

Although the game will "killscreen" around January 24th (you'll have to paint many toys, but none will come out of the conveyors) I don't think it's possible to get that far through legitimate play. There isn't a fixed limit as to how far it's possible to progress, but the game does get very difficult as the number of toys continues to increase while the timer pegs at 99 ticks. I would be very surprised if anyone reaches the killscreen without cheating.

I hope people enjoy the game. I am thrilled with the way it turned out, and wish I could sneak back to 1981 and show this came to the Activision crew. Wonder what they'd have thought of it?

Not sure if I just missed the deadline. Doesn't really matter anyhow as I just started playing an hour ago so nothing great (except this game). :P

Okay apparently I can't upload a 788 KB file to show my score after an hour of trying. If I ever had one complaint this would be it. I run into this problem a lot at various times of day where the upload "times out" long before it has uploaded 2MB. This pisses me right off. :mad: anyhow my score is 6850.

Al, can you increase the upload to 10MB please? In 10 years from now we'll all be laughing at this problem.

Not sure if I just missed the deadline. Doesn't really matter anyhow as I just started playing an hour ago so nothing great (except this game). :P

Okay apparently I can't upload a 788 KB file to show my score after an hour of trying. If I ever had one complaint this would be it. I run into this problem a lot at various times of day where the upload "times out" long before it has uploaded 2MB. This pisses me right off. :mad: anyhow my score is 6850.

Al, can you increase the upload to 10MB please? In 10 years from now we'll all be laughing at this problem.

Dude, just open the file in mspaint, click file, save, and then upload it. It'll be under the limit.

Dude, just open the file in mspaint, click file, save, and then upload it. It'll be under the limit.

It is already well under the limit at 788 KB when you are supposed to be allowed 2 MB?? I just tried again no luck.

Try saving it as a JPEG...

It is already well under the limit at 788 KB when you are supposed to be allowed 2 MB?? I just tried again no luck.

Try saving it as a JPEG...

It is a JPEG already. I think I figured out what is wrong though. Even though the file is well under the limit it doesn't seem to want to upload if there is too many pixels?? I zipped it and it uploaded just fine. The file size changed on me a little bit and it is now saying it's 849 KB unzipped but that still won't upload. This is driving me nuts.

TT_6850.zip

Okay, this thread is officially suspended until a later date when others can join in. Scores that have already been submitted will be locked in (I don't have time to update the scores at the moment, but check back later), and when we resume, only those who did not already post a score will be able to play.

--Zero

• 8 months later...

Unfortunately, it looks like we'll have to abandon this game. Hopefully one of these days we'll be able to give it another week, but as the season has ended, I feel the only option is to disqualify the game. I apologize for any confusion.

However, I'm sure some of you ended up buying the game, and likely received it after this topic was locked. If you wish to play and post scores, feel free to do so, but they will not count towards your season 5 totals.

--Zero