IGNORED

atari anniversary/ atari anniversary redux

I don't have a Dreamcast , so I can't comment on that version of Atari Anniversary Edition. I do have Atari Anniversary Edition for the PC, as well as Atari Anniversary Edition Redux for PlayStation, so I'll compare those two.

Atari Anniversary Edition for PC has the following 12 games (in alphabetical order):

Asteroids

Asteroids Deluxe

Battlezone

Centipede

Crystal Castles

Gravitar

Millipede

Missile Command

Pong

Super Breakout

Tempest

Warlords

I think the Dreamcast version has the same 12 games.

Atari Anniversary Edition Redux for PlayStation has 12 games also, but Crystal Castles and Millipede are not included. Taking their place are Black Widow and Space Duel.

The change in the two games is probably the most obvious difference. Another difference that's not quite so obvious is in the control methods used. The PC gives you a choice of keyboard, mouse, or joystick, so you can use whatever works best for you. The PlayStation version supports the basic digital joypad, but if you have a Dual Shock controller for the PlayStation, then most of the games can also be played using analog control. Certain games such as Battlezone and Black Widow benefit greatly from the use of the two thumbsticks. The PlayStation mouse is also supported for games that used a Trak-Ball or paddle in the arcade. I have a Nyko Classic Trackball, which is functionally equivalent to the mouse, and it works great! The PlayStation version also supports the Multitap, so you can get some four-player Warlords going.

In addition to the low-resolution (320x240) graphics mode for all games, the PlayStation version supports medium-resolution (640x240) and high-resolution (640x480) for the vector games. The PC version can support much higher resolutions; the vector games look absolutely incredible on the PC with anti-aliasing, and the raster games have scanlines to simulate that old arcade monitor appearance. :)

Both packages are under $15 each. Unless you're really strapped for cash, I recommend buying both!

• 2 weeks later...