IGNORED

Knight Lore by xxl

Thanks Carmel, yes - plenty of (getting ancient now) posts around

if you care to search...

Anyone wishing to pick-up Elite should get in touch with me first

to spare the initial groundwork, but as stated before work stopped

because David Braben never responded to anything sent his way.

I can't see continuing the work hurting though these days as from

what I've viewed of the situation over the last few years is there

seems to be a more relaxed attitued about derived works.

I hate to reign the enthusiasm back, but BBC ports would tend to

be selective set as the machine supports a number of resolutions

that the A8 can dream at (but yes can be supported as with the

Spectrum via P/Ms) but from what I remembered (titles like

Impossible Mission, Tetrapod) suffered a little/lot from the resulting

aspect ratio when the graphics are shown on the Atari. With

Knight Lore the 256 pixels width works well due to the 'narrow'

display mode the Atari has. Super work by XXL as we've come

to know and love!

Seasons greetings,

Mark (back today from the 1000+ mile road trip back from the

Czech Republic)

Hi guys, just to let you know that the next fantastic game is coming for 8-bit Atari. Krzysztof "xxl" Dudek decided yesterday to port "Knight Lore"! It will be port from BBC Micro computer (not ZX Spectrum this time). Progress is incredible - xxl had a partially working game after 3 hours. You can find more details here (in Polish only, sorry!) ) and short movie from Atari emulator here. No xex file at this moment.

Fantastic job!

F.

Perhaps TMR and Wrathchild could post something about porting things (code gfx/sonix etc) from the c64 to the A8

i could, but then i'd have to kill you...

Seriously, there's no magical techniques involved to port from any platform to the A8, the only option is to get a reasonable working knowledge of source and target machine, to be a very good coder and then sit down and work out what changes'll be needed to move stuff over. The C64 is a terrible source platform since it can do things in hardware that'll need a major re-write to build in software on the Atari; the C16 is probably a better source, especially if the game to shift only uses 50% of a C16 character set.

Yes, there's no quick an easy guide to porting, really like TMR says it takes complete knowledge of both platforms and equally of coding then it's a matter of painstakingly going though every line of code and rewritting the machine specific routines. I guess porting is used as a loose term, really it's a lot of skilled hard work which is why xxl and other coders deserve a lot of praise.

Edited by Tezz

TMR...why do you want to kill me...Or is it that the programmers of the world want to get rid of the non programmers

No, it's the old "i could tell you but then i'd have to kill you" line from hundreds films, television shows, blogs and just about every other medium available and means nothing after the comedic value. And where the hell did you get such a ridiculous idea, by the way?

I only mentioned the c64 as it's farly equal hardware wise to the A8 (but i could be wrong)

You are wrong, as Allas says taking code tailored to one 8-bit over to another is difficult and, whilst the C64 and A8 share similarities and specifications on a general level, they're different enough that anything written specifically for one needs a heavy chunk of recoding to move to the other.