IGNORED

BOUNTY BOB STRIKES BACK

walter_J64bit

(first 2008 posting so...) Happy New Year!

My repsonse would be 'probably not impossible - but quite a bit of work',

which actually equates to 'not likely'. Check out the posts on this thread:

Atarimax forum posting

A summary is that the code protection in there is too clever ;)

Regards,

Mark

D'oh! I would need to add a PAL mod to my XEGS but that won't do me any good I don't have a TV that works in PAL.

The easiest way would be to just have a loader which uses a "Save State" file from the emulator.

But, as Mark said, if the thing has subversive code snippets that checks the PAL status and whether sections of code have been modified then it becomes a much harder job.

Was an NTSC version done at all on tape or disk?

Conversion from the 5200 or A8 cart version might not sound so crazy if the game protection is what it's cracked up to be.

But, that might necessitate 128K RAM, which kind of limits who could use it.

I can remember someone lending me this game on tape - I'll have to check my 5.25 collection and see if I have a disk version.

Was the PAL detectioin code part of the BBSB tape loader...If it was you might be able to hack it out (if you're into 6502'ng)

If it was part of the 2 additional data blocks that are loaded after the tape loader (the first one force loads into page Cxxx, going by memory and the second one loads in at either page 04xx or page 06xx....the second data block i think is the main game code) then you'll have no chance of moddy'ng the prog as the loader has some data encryption or scrambling routine...again only going by memory)

Converting the 52 version to the A8 is going to present it's own problems, what with the different mem locations and potentially different rom bankswitching techniques, I think you'd be better of trying to hack the A8 cart version (but only if it doesn't have the same protection system as per the tape version)

If memory recalls, all the Firebird (UK) A8 tape games use a very similar data scrambling technique as does International Karate (Tape version)

No, the detections are made as the code is being run - bits from the PAL/NTSC

register are masked against data (IIRC as level data is extracted) and so

although I could 'fix' that, some other routines must be using checksums

on the areas that 'could be' changed by a hacker and then used as a mask

themselves, so therefore the data/code corruption stems from there.

If so, can you upload one. I've downloaded and tried at least 3 versions, and the one I have on floppy.

None of them work in NTSC on the emulator.

This one seems to work fine in Atari800Winplus 4.0, and also works on the NTSC 130XE I just loaded it on.

Bounty_Bob_Strikes_Back___1985__Big_Five_Software__h__hacked_for_XE_.zip

If so, can you upload one. I've downloaded and tried at least 3 versions, and the one I have on floppy.

None of them work in NTSC on the emulator.

This one seems to work fine in Atari800Winplus 4.0, and also works on the NTSC 130XE I just loaded it on.

Bounty_Bob_Strikes_Back___1985__Big_Five_Software__h__hacked_for_XE_.zip

I've just tried this one my XEGS won't run it :roll: I'm going to try the other file and see what it does.