IGNORED

Holes in the 8-bit library.

A Sprite

I'm pretty sure nobody ever did a real-time strategy game for the 8-bit (a la Warcraft II or Command & Conquer).

I won't say it'd be *impossible*, but it would definitely not be easy...

If someone converts this game to the A8, we'd have one ;-)

http://www.gamerwiki.com/index.php/Stonkers_(Spectrum)

And, btw: The original RTS is Dune 2. This brings to my mind that I always wanted Dune 1 for the ATARI.... With 256 colours and full Hardsynth music. Stored on a mega cart.

More exactly:

The Pictures in 256 Colours(with or without interlace)

The Maps in multicolour (incl. strategy part)

The 3D in gr. 7 resolution (for the moving on the Ornithopter and Worm)

The information/command bar in hires(overlayed with PM ofcourse)

When showing 256 colour pictures, 2 hardsynth channels for sound are used.

In all other resolutions, additional digi sound are used for a 3rd and a 4th channel.

:ponder:

http://www.classicgamingpresents.com/catal...CFQnyXgodOgzMOg

Edited by emkay

Having a closer look at "The last Starfighter", it is partially an RTS game. Because the "Armada" is acting itself in realtime, you have to build a "small" strategy to finish this game.

This way of a solution to win the game, you find in all RTS games.

Edited by emkay

I'm pretty sure nobody ever did a real-time strategy game for the 8-bit (a la Warcraft II or Command & Conquer).

Warlocked (Gameboy Color), Utopia (Intellivision, no direct control of troops), and J.R.R. Tolkien's War in Middle Earth (C64, Spectrum; listed as an RTS/RPG Hybrid) prove it can be done. The only question: what compromises are required?

Edited by A Sprite

Maybe I remember incorrectly here, but wasn't Microproses Wargames like NATO Commander, Decisions in the Desert, Vietnam and the likes RTS?

I'd be happy if anybody did a good version of C64 demo Synth Sample 3, the one by George Feil. Great tune and if it's in a game, even better. The Hobbit maybe? Shouldn't use too much processor power and have lots left for music.

Warlocked (Gameboy Color), Utopia (Intellivision, no direct control of troops), and J.R.R. Tolkien's War in Middle Earth (C64, Spectrum; listed as an RTS/RPG Hybrid) prove it can be done. The only question: what compromises are required?

Hm... this "War In Middle Earth" game is declared as a RTS game. Since it looks like a simple strategy game (move by move) I don't see the "real time".

Looking back to "The last Starfighter", the Squadron is in moving action while you are in a hot battle. It attacks freely and destroys your citys in an always different order. Destroying the citys of "them" , reduces their resources... And, while fighting against them, you have to take care about your starship(repairing and fuel).

Destroy their big ships to have less enemies in your solar system (prevent them from breaking through the barrier) .

Destroy their destroyers to keep your cities alive.

Destroy their Fighters to finally win the game...

Would anyone deny to name this "realtime strategy"?

Would anyone deny to name this "realtime strategy"?

Well... it's realtime, and requires strategy to play... but when I used the name "realtime strategy" I was thinking of the genre of games like Warcraft, Starcraft, or Age of Empires:

- Gods' eye top-down view of the playing field

- Multiple resources that you have to gather, and that your enemy has to gather (so if you secure all the gold on the map, you can starve him out)

- Multiple military units and unit types (and for each unit type, there's usually a counter-unit)

Basically I was talking about a game where you play the general/commander/whatever of an army, which you must build more-or-less from scratch... In "Last Starfighter", you're a fighter pilot, and there's only one fighter (powerful enough to single-handedly destroy the entire enemy armada and sterilize all of their planets... more like a Death Star than a fighter, really)

The game genre I'm talking about probably needs a more specific name ("realtime military simulation" or "realtime war game", maybe), since you need more than being realtime and having strategy to be what people call an RTS... Sim City is realtime, and you have to use strategy, but nobody calls it realtime strategy.

I think real-time strategy games like Ages of Empires, Warcraft, and Empire Earth are way beyond the abilities of the Atari in both displaying and CPU speed. You could do something much simpler type game where you can scroll around on a map, and have troops, builders, artillery, etc. Maybe do it with Antic 4 and redefined fonts. With the stock 64k, you can maybe make a small map, or with extended ram, make a much larger one.

And, btw: The original RTS is Dune 2. This brings to my mind that I always wanted Dune 1 for the ATARI.... With 256 colours and full Hardsynth music. Stored on a mega cart.

More exactly:

The Pictures in 256 Colours(with or without interlace)

The Maps in multicolour (incl. strategy part)

The 3D in gr. 7 resolution (for the moving on the Ornithopter and Worm)

The information/command bar in hires(overlayed with PM ofcourse)

When showing 256 colour pictures, 2 hardsynth channels for sound are used.

In all other resolutions, additional digi sound are used for a 3rd and a 4th channel.

256 color mode, are we talking using APAC mode? I know this ideal has been mentioned before. Some say it takes up many CPU cycles, along with combining it with music. Does not leave a who lot for the game logic to do anything.

A stock Atari Video is going to be limited to what types of games you can do. I know several video upgrades have been proposed, been developed like (dual antic/gtia) or in development (like Videoboard XE).

256 color mode, are we talking using APAC mode? I know this ideal has been mentioned before. Some say it takes up many CPU cycles, along with combining it with music. Does not leave a who lot for the game logic to do anything.

A stock Atari Video is going to be limited to what types of games you can do. I know several video upgrades have been proposed, been developed like (dual antic/gtia) or in development (like Videoboard XE).

You could do interlaced pictures for enhancing the resolution to 160x200 if you like, having enough free cpu cycles for a full music player and the needed game functions during the VBI available....

TROGDOR wrote a (4K!) RTS for the 2600, Master of Arcturus.

Admittedly, it doesn't have a lot of the features that you list above, but still. :)

- Multiple resources that you have to gather, and that your enemy has to gather (so if you secure all the gold on the map, you can starve him out)

Why are "multiple" resources required? Doesn't Dune 2 just have the single resource (spice)?

Basically I was talking about a game where you play the general/commander/whatever of an army, which you must build more-or-less from scratch.

That's basically what Master of Arcturus is, on the 2600.

You won't get anywhere close to a 1-to-1 port of Starcraft on the A8, but I'm sure you could get something cool.

I always say you need good cpu speed to handle a RTS because you are both handling an ongoing logic for a computer player and having many things going on. You will be lucky to do a quarter of what is happening on a game like the original Warcraft or Ages of Empires. Plus displaying everything is going to be a challenge.

Two games I think of that are Arcade gaps include Galaga and an official Tempest. Neither of these games were done on the Atari.