IGNORED

I Want To Write A Game!

rivalhunter

Greetings –

I want to learn how to program a game. I have a few ideas, but I want to program a pre-existing idea in order to a) learn how to program and b) determine the limitations.

I want to program for the Atari 2600.

About me: I can program some VB, ASP, and can program for the Palm OS. A very long time ago (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth), I programmed for my Apple IIe as well. I need some place to start to see what I can do and how to do it. I know that the languages I know are a far cry from the languages I know, but I am willing to learn.

Thanks,

rivalhunter

:)

you know asm?

Not a clue.

I've tried reading some of the more recent posts, but they seem like they are from people that are in the middle of learning, and not quite at the beginning "I have no idea what the hell I'm doing" stage that I am in.

Can anyone recommend a website to get started at?

Thanks,

rivalhunter

you know asm?

Not a clue.

I've tried reading some of the more recent posts, but they seem like they are from people that are in the middle of learning, and not quite at the beginning "I have no idea what the hell I'm doing" stage that I am in.

Can anyone recommend a website to get started at?

Thanks,

rivalhunter

Best place to look is your nearest bookstore. Lots of books out there on the subject.

Do a search on google.com. Good search engine to find web pages with.

But if you got an idea already, you will do best by first doing a story board of the game. This is what the 2600 game programmers did before they attempted any coding. Get the game and the mechanics behind it documented on paper first.

Once you have that done, then you can start writing code.