IGNORED

7800 tough as old boots (I hope!)

davyK

My 7800 fell of the top of a wardrobe last night while I was retrieving something - it fell about 4 feet before colliding with a kid's toy plastic shopping trolley. My blood ran cold - especially after only just getting Pacman Collection and Food Fight a month or two ago...

I set the system up with some trepidation but it works fine - I wouldn't want to test more modern consoles that way. Here's to solid state technology.

Yeah the board should be fine, but the plastic Atari used for the cases tends to become very brittle with age so your fortunate the case didn't crack.

Sure is, I sent an AV modded 7800 to Germany, over the top wrapping/protection and it still arrived in about 40 pieces :x

I have offen felt that the game systems of yesterday are tougher than game systems of today.

I feel the same way my brothers and I all have a dreamcast and all of them seem to be crap shooting or near it. My bros older big ps2 seems to be having some trouble, and my brothers gamecube seems to be having troulbe reading games with no scratches as well. My atari 2600 and 7800 well... work just fine and dandy.

The only exception I'd have to this older system being tougher is maybe the NES box because of the blinking problem, but at least that's fixable.

I have offen felt that the game systems of yesterday are tougher than game systems of today.

I feel the same way, my brothers and myself all have a dreamcast and all of them have crapped out on us. One of my brothers have a old big ps2 which is starting to have problems reading games, and my other brother is having the same trouble with his gamecube. My 2600 and 7800 work just fine and dandy.

The only exception with this rule I think would be the NES box because of the blinking problem, but thats not due to dropping it. (and I know I've hit the system trying to get it to stop blinking :roll: )

My 7800 fell of the top of a wardrobe last night while I was retrieving something - it fell about 4 feet before colliding with a kid's toy plastic shopping trolley. My blood ran cold - especially after only just getting Pacman Collection and Food Fight a month or two ago...

I set the system up with some trepidation but it works fine - I wouldn't want to test more modern consoles that way. Here's to solid state technology.

The first and only 7800 I found in the wild had a stone wedged into its cartridge port.

I discovered it when I tried to put a cartridge in and it wouldn't go in.

Popped it out, and it's worked fine for many years.

Tough stuff. But as said, lucky it didn't crack, shatter or break the case.

I predict in 20-30 years you will not see people enjoying "old" systems with any of the disc-based systems because they simply won't work.

Edited by Brian R.

I predict in 20-30 years you will not see people enjoying "old" systems with any of the disc-based systems

Truth be told, there's not a whole lot to enjoy on them anyway.

Sure there is... if you enjoy getting tired of a game just learning the conrols.

Modern gaming almost requires unemployment to enjoy, yet demands a ton of cash.

I predict in 20-30 years you will not see people enjoying "old" systems with any of the disc-based systems

Truth be told, there's not a whole lot to enjoy on them anyway.

Sure there is... if you enjoy getting tired of a game just learning the conrols.

Modern gaming almost requires unemployment to enjoy, yet demands a ton of cash.

In real life, I'd be high-fiving you right now. There are a handful of modern games I can play. Stuff like "Sonic Rush", "Geometry Wars: Galaxies", and some arcade racers. Outside that, I don't know where people get the time. Heck, I got Mario Galaxy for Christmas, enjoy it, and still have only managed to get two of the freaking stars. I've decided my time would be better spent with Ikari Warriors. Button one is shoot, button 2 is grenade, and an average game takes 10 minutes.

I once had an entire stone wall from an old outhouse/sheep shed collapse onto some old systems and carts during a storm. Despite getting very wet, as it took me a few weeks to return to my parents' house to retrieve them, all the 2600/7800 systems and carts worked - even those that were loose. Labels were a bit worse for wear and the NIB 7800 games had to be taken from boxes that didn't survive the experience, but electronically they were all fine.

They probably survived because the shed didn't have a solid stone or concrete floor. :ponder:

It's not just game systems... many years ago, a friend of mine got mad at a game he was playing on his Commodore 64, and tossed first the computer, then the disk drive(1541) out the window onto the driveway below. I stopped him from throwing the monitor out the window as well, because I *KNEW* it wouldn't survive, and would have beat the shit out of him since I couldn't afford a monitor back then. After he cooled down, we retrieved the computer and disk drive....the drive had a nasty crack in the case, and the computer was missing a few keys, but once hooked back up, it worked fine.

Go figure.

Even my old Game Boy is pretty tough. I dropped it onto the asphalt one day by accident. Heck, the cartridge and the batteries even stayed in place, and normally they'd go flying out! It suffered a dent into one corner and that was it. another time, I threw a Game Boy onto a steel deck and it survived perfect. I've dropped 2600 consoles before and nothing happened to them.

Toughest console award goes to the N64, though. You could use one of those for some serious blunt force trauma.

Toughest console award goes to the N64, though. You could use one of those for some serious blunt force trauma.

For some reason I found N64's the worse console to hack apart. You look at its mainboard wrong and it fries. Seems to be pretty consistent to others that have hacked N64s to.

The toughest console from personal experience would be the Gamecube. I had mine take a tumble down 3 flights of concrete stairs and it is still working today.

Hacking wise I would say the 2600 easily beat anything I have taken apart. I have done things to 2600's that I would not speak of and they always seem to start working again.