IGNORED

Culdcept Saga

Cobra Kai

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/c/culdceptsagaus/

I played the Demo, available on marketplace. Now I know I'll become addicted to this sucker, a board game mixed with Magic:TG? I've already played the demo 3 times. It's going to be semi-budget in price too, not bad at all at $39.99. Feb 5 release date, I can't wait, I just pre-ordered a copy on Amazon.

Edited by Gunstarhero

I played the Demo, available on marketplace. Now I know I'll become addicted to this sucker, a board game mixed with Magic:TG? I've already played the demo 3 times. It's going to be semi-budget in price too, not bad at all at $39.99. Feb 5 release date, I can't wait.

I played the demo and pre-ordered it from Amazon.

I played the Demo, available on marketplace. Now I know I'll become addicted to this sucker, a board game mixed with Magic:TG? I've already played the demo 3 times. It's going to be semi-budget in price too, not bad at all at $39.99. Feb 5 release date, I can't wait.

I played the demo and pre-ordered it from Amazon.

Yeah, I preordered it as well. I'm glad to see offbeat stuff like this coming out. What a great change of pace, I mean I love FPS games, but this will be a welcome change.

Edited by Gunstarhero

I really like Culdcept on the PS2 so if the X-Box360 version is as good sometime down the line i might pick up a 360 and this game. :)

4 player Live play dude. :D

Since you have experience with this series, do all the players share the same deck of cards, or are you required to construct a deck prior to play?

I love the Culdcept series, but there are a few things about this new version that turn me off. The new computer rendered characters are high on that list... yes, yes, everyone in the industry is doing the 3D thing now, but the new polygonal monsters and players have all the personality of store-brand action figures. I'll take a chance on the DS version if that's released in the States... that's supposed to be based on the very first game in the series (for the Japanese Sega Saturn), and that's almost sure to have sprites.

• 1 month later...

So, what does everyone think?

My copy came in and sat for about a week before I took it for a spin. I've only played to the point where I've beaten Coliseum III, but I like it so far.

It's decently fun two player, but I hate how you can't play teams with the story characters in play. And AI characters require you build decks for them.

The manual is probably the most useful a game manual has been in 20 years. This is because it's actually useful, unlike the other game manuals of the past 2 decades.

Back to my typical pessimism, I wish there was a way to turn off the "battles" or speed them up. They make a game take WAAAAY too long.

This game looks interesting.

On the link, I see it says Players Co-op: 1-3.

How is co-op implemented? Is it local or online?

The box and instructions say co-op is available both online and local. But I have yet to get a co-op game to work. The game requires you to make up a new AI controlled character and manually build it's deck if you want to team up with a buddy against the game (local). Since we didn't want to go through that extra effort, we were never able to actually see that mode of play in action.

Competitively, the game can be played with 4 players. In local these can be a mix of real players and AI controlled.

Back to being pessimistic, the game is not terribly interface friendly. The interface is a bit clunky overall. It gets the job done, but in far from the best possible way.

• 1 month later...

After playing Eye of Judgement on PS3 and liking it, I've been thinking of maybe trying Culdcept Saga out. Culdcept kind of appeals to me as I won't be constantly hunting out and spending lots of $$$$ trying to build a deck (okay, okay.... I'm cheap).

Got a couple questions: Read a couple of online reviews of the game and according to both, one of their biggest complaints is that a game can take hours and hours to complete. Is this true? Are all cards available when you first start playing or do you unlock additional cards as you progress in the game? Are any additional cards you aquire within the game randomly generated or does everyone playing aquire the same cards in the same order?

Going to download the demo and give the game a try but thought I'd ask a few questions while doing so.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

1) The single player campaign will take you a lot of hours to complete. Some of the stages can take a few hours each, yes. However, you can also setup custom games against the computer to your liking. I've set up quick 1 vs 1 matches that take 10 minutes. It all depends on what settings you use, such as how much magic it takes to win, or what you set the round limit at. If you set the round limit to 20, the game will be over pretty fast.

2)You start your profile with a starter deck, that is random in nature, much like buying a starter of Magic The Gathering cards. From there you earn more cards for your collection AT RANDOM by winning matches against the computer or human opponents. The amount and rarity of cards you obtain for a Win depends on the stage you play on. It's all random though, except for the 6-7 Extreme Rare cards in the game, which are awarded for completing specific tasks.

It's a good game. I play it quite a bit just against the computer, I like 3 player games the most. It's fun to just thinking up new decks and tweaking existing themes you have. When I get some new cards I'll spend the next 30 minutes screwing around with my decks and trying to improve them. You can save up to 16 different decks in your profile.

Thanks for all the info, Gunstar!!! Very much appreciated!!

I DL'd the demo and only got to spend about 10min with it before family duties called. But from what little I played, the game looks like it might be a lot of fun and it might be my next purchase.

Mendon