IGNORED

Atari 400 top ten worst keyboards?

kenfused

thinking about that membrane keyboard sens chills down my back.... I've held an Atari 400... pushed it's buttons even... but never want one.

That's the 1st thing I replaced with an aftermarket keyboard and a 48k ram upgrade of course. :D Although in the pcworld link the Atari 400 is number 5 out of 10, The IBM PCjr was the worst with the chicklet keyboard.

Edited by JokerCPoC

The TRS-80 Colour Computer (original model) should be in there too.

I had a 400 for a while, but it was fittted (by the distributor) with one of the "proper" replacement keyboards, which made it a little bit more bareable.

I've seen pics online before and going from memory it made the machine look extremely... odd. (nice way of putting it) ;-)

The Timex keyboard LOOKS like a calculator keypad. LOL That one was the funniest to me.

And poor Commodore.

I'll say it many times, the Atari 400 was the one thing in my computer days that made me hireable. And thank you for reminding me of that, you reminded me that my life is not a complete waste of time. :D

Yes, hours and hours BBS's time on the Atari 400. I got to the point where I managed like 40 words per minute on that keyboard. When I got into regular keyboards it was more like 60 to 70 wpm. :D

Good stuff.

I like the 400 for it's uniqueness, it's small footprint, ect.

Edited by doctorclu

The zx80 and 81...a lot worse then the 400's (at least the 400 had ridges around each key)

Yep, when we upgraded from a ZX81(with wobbly RAM pack) to a 400, it was like night and day. I actually like the 400 kb, and hated to see mates "upgrading" theirs with those bloody ugly keyboard replacements. The 400 is a thing of beauty and should be left as Atari intended (well on the outside at least :twisted: )

You see, to me Atari built the 400 just right... it was a cheap way to get into the 8-bit computer line. So that meant cheaper parts. You added things onto the 400 as you went (keyboard, 48K board etc) THat's what I did at least.

post-4709-1200061927_thumb.jpg

I'm with Doctorclu on this one... I learned to type on the 400.

I had a standard 400, my first computer, for many years before I upgraded it. I programmed BASIC on it and wrote short stories. I got to be quite fast, learning how to type flat-fingered. My friend John, who had the 800, used to laugh at me, of course, my little fingers flying across those flat keys. He used to make an odd comment about me owning a computer that could survive having peanut butter spread on it.

I don't recall ever having a problem with the BREAK key. The only time it does anything, IIRC, is when a program is running.

Hey Doc, interesting keyboard upgrade. I've never seen one that goes beyond the edge of the computer. Is that a kit or your own invention?

As for the others on the list, I'm pretty much in agreement. I am shocked to see the C-64 on the list. I had several friends with one, never typed on one myself, but I don't recall anyone complaining about it.

Some of those, I'd never seen before. The first Pet... wow. Say, the TI-99/4... the reviewer said it didn't have a standard spacebar, but then, what is that key at the bottom that looks suspiciously like a spacebar, I wonder?

Thanks for poitning that article out!

Cheers,

Smeg

(PS - Did any of you expect to see the Jaguar on there? No, I know it doesn't HAVE a keyboard, but doesn't it seem like EVERY bad electronic list has the Jaggie on it? :D )

This is the type of aftermarket keyboard I put on My 400 at one time:

th_Atari400wCherryKeyboardRARE.gif

It may not have been perfect, But It was better than some others, Even if here and there It could be a bit awkward. :D

The picture above is clickable to a larger image.

I have one of those, they are great! Well, better than the membrane keyboard. :D :D

..Al

Oh, the memories... my first computer was a 400, I spent many hours hurting my fingers with it.

I don't think the person who wrote the pcworld article actually used any of those old machines, he just looked at pictures of them. The Commodore 64 definitely doesn't belong in a "Top 10 worst keyboards" list.

OK...80's budget and orphan computers are easy targets, but the C64? Nowhere near the worst.

It's a little confusing when the link goes to the middle, but the page numbers of the article are reverse of the ranking. I.e., the C64's keyboard is on page 2 but it is ranked #10.

The list ranks the PC Jr.'s keyboard as the worst.

But how many membrane/rubbery keyboards are there? After those, you're left ranking keyboards by minor things like missing/misplaced backspace keys, keyboard height/angle, and whatever else.

Anyway, the whole list, from 10th worst to worst:

10. Commodore 64 (1982)

9. Timex Sinclair 2068 (1983)

8. Commodore PET 2001-32-N (1978)

7. Texas Instruments TI-99/4 (1979)

6. Tandy TRS-80 Micro Color Computer MC-10 (1983)

5. Atari 400 (1979)

4. Timex Sinclair 1000 (1982)

3. Mattel Aquarius (1983)

2. Commodore PET 2001 (1977)

1. IBM PCjr (1984)

I don't think the person who wrote the pcworld article actually used any of those old machines, he just looked at pictures of them. The Commodore 64 definitely doesn't belong in a "Top 10 worst keyboards" list.

I tend to agree that the C64 doesn't belong, but the author claims to have used these and many other keyboards:

After painstakingly reviewing scads of the most lackluster keyboards, I systematically whittled them down to these ten all-time offenders, based on four factors: feel, layout, functionality, and infamy.
Edited by vdub_bobby

Hey Doc, interesting keyboard upgrade. I've never seen one that goes beyond the edge of the computer. Is that a kit or your own invention?

My dad's invention. He took a 1200/1400 keyboard (that was sold as a keyboard kit at Radio Shack) and attached it to my 400. Had to do some special wiring, and had to rewrite the keyboard map chip. It was an involved process, but when computers are expensive, you work with what you can get.

It's a little confusing when the link goes to the middle, but the page numbers of the article are reverse of the ranking. I.e., the C64's keyboard is on page 2 but it is ranked #10.

Noo...I got that (otherwise, I'd be raising hell that the TS-1000 was ranked slightly better than the 400...which it obviously isn't). To say nothing of the ones at the end.

What I mean is that the C64 shouldn't be on a "10 worst keyboard" list at any spot.