IGNORED

New Game Port on the way

Heaven/TQA

ok... i managed to implement the rmt sound fx routines and Miker's WIP sounds...

so...actually we can add "real atari" sound instead of the VIC patched ones... but Miker sounds are good but does not fit 100% to the original... so what to do?

better Miker should try to recreate the sounds in RMT or should somebody (me actually not as i am not good in msx) simple write basic routines or assembler routines which recreate the sounds?

just let me know what you think...

ps. not all of Miker's sounds are enabled yet and not all sound fx are patched in the game...

mets_sfx.zip

ooh... comparing this version with the c64 version... i guess we can do what we want... ;) strange that the c64 version looks soo different to the original... all is different imho...

The C64 version wasn't done by Yak, it was converted by a friend - i've always said the VIC version was superior, that's why i settled on it as the version to port well before we were talking about the idea.

so Jason...you prefer as near as possible vic-20 sound fx?

i'd prefer it to be as close to the original experience as possible personally, had i got off my arse and started the work that's the way i would be going! As long as the sound is in keeping with the "feel" of the game, i don't think it has to be a straight port, just lots of 80's arcade-ness and nice white noise swooshing.

ok... we are close to final...i would suggest 99,5% finished... fixed in this version

- texts are aligned to 20 chars standard atari screen

- scrolling enabled (tell me what you think...)

- game speed adjusted (based on pal)

- small text dlis added just to spice up little bit

next release will have

- more sound fx (some miker fx are missing)

- PAL/NTSC detection plus auto game speed adjust

- game info & game credits screen before game starts

- title music

- (maybe) G2F title screen (but that's not sure at the moment)

mets_sfx.zip

post-528-1201465050_thumb.png

Jason...what about ingame soundtrack?

i'd say no personally because early Minter titles like MetaLlamas went for lots of heavy effects instead... but if there were one it'd be up tempo, dance style music i reckon - effects and music at the same time would probably take away from the effects though...?

Ok, a bit revisited version. :)

Improved shoot and enemy-hit sounds.

Heaven: I've noticed that you play some sfx at wrong voices. Next level and shoot sound should be played at 0 or 1. All the rest - doesn't matter....

Edit: added endlevel FX (song 2) plus the "songs" aren't looped now.

sfx3a.zip

Edited by miker

now for the maths freaks... speed adjustment.

Jeff has not used any interrupt in his game but uses a wait_loop instead:

wait_frame:

ldx #1

wait0 ldy #$40

dey

bne wait0

dex

bne wait

rts

this is called every game cyle... so...i am really not good in maths esp. cycle stuff... how do i need to adjust this wait routine for atari PAL and atari NTSC? so actually 0,9 MHz vs 1,79 MHz (in mode 6).

thanks for any light here....

ok...played the (non-) published 99,9% final. sound fx are in place plus jingles... I would need now beta testers who play the game and compare that with the vic-20 original just to see if i had forgot something to patch... when it is done i will pass it over to Jeff Minter for final sign off...

just drop me a PM...