IGNORED

European NTSC 5200 owners

thomasholzer

Since the 5200 never made it to Europe, but having seen a PAL 5200 at Atari HQ, Slough, I can honestly say that is was possible planned. Shame though that we never got a PAL version in the end here in Europe.

I exchanged a GX 4000 for a NTSC 5200 in the early 90s, and after 10 years I finally decided to plug it in and play it for the first time.

I must say, I love it, even with those dodgy joysticks, takes a bit of getting used to, but all the carts I own so far are really playable.

My games:

5200games.jpg

My system:

Atari5200.sized.jpg

I especially like Blue Print, Ms.Pac-Man and Zenji.

Do we have any idea here on AA how many Europeans (maybe a bit like the Falcon user database) own a 5200, and how they like the console/games?

Edited by thomasholzer

Atari was planning on big things for the 5200 over the pond. The 1983 reworked 2-port version had this added according to this 1984 A.N.A.L.O.G article.

"There is space on the newer boards for circuitry for a PAL

(European TV standard) version of the 5200. Also, on power-

up, the monitor program checks for the PAL version by

examining the GTIA register PAL after step 2 of the

initialization routine. It also checks the cartridge program

for PAL compatibility. The byte at $BFE7 should read $02 if

compatible, or $00 if not. This is the only important change

to the monitor program."

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/cons...nv_to_5200.html

How you playing it Thomas? Through a VCR that's converting the picture or has it been modded?

I'm gonna get myself a modded 5200 at some point, about the last system to gather and try out. Got plenty of accessories and games so far, just no system heh...

I am guessing that moddying a 5200 over to PAL is the same or similar to moddying the 1200xl (as opposed to the 400/800)

i.e Change the clock crytal, the GTIA and/or antic and also change the RF modulator...I did know someone that modded his 1200xl (pre Nir Diry mod) but i don't recall how he did it

I´ve got a 4-port NTSC version.

What do I think of it? It´s my favourite console of all time. :)

Rescue on Fractalus is the one that´s played the most, but games like Gremlins (way better than the 2600 version), Berzerk (bloody hard, but with the excellent speech) and Qix (best home version) all see their share of gametime.

Most of 2007 was reserved for the excellent Adventure II though. :)

How you playing it Thomas? Through a VCR that's converting the picture or has it been modded?

I'm gonna get myself a modded 5200 at some point, about the last system to gather and try out. Got plenty of accessories and games so far, just no system heh...

Heya,

no I play on 'real' NTSC equipment, which I purchased long time ago whilst working for the US Army in Bremerhaven, Germany (as this was the only possibility to watch AFN TV (unless you had NTSC put into your German PAL TV))

Edited by thomasholzer

When I said "modded" I meant video modified to output composite or S-video (which do support NTSC on TVs here) not turn it into PAL. That's what I'd need here, at least people do it... but the shipping's a killer. Looking for one cheap if possible heh...