IGNORED

Lynx Programming For Dummies... can anyone help?

Lynxer

Hi All

I am following Bjoern Spruck's Lynx Programming for Dummies tutorial and I am trying to assemble the "Hello World" example (assembly version) as given in Chapter 4. This example is also provided separately as "hallo_a.asm" in a .zip archive along with the tutorial.

I've changed the path references in this source file to match my environment as necessary. However, when I try to use LYXASS to assemble the file, it fails with a Syntax error on lines 38,39 and 41,45. These lines are: -

BEGIN_ZP

END_ZP

BEGIN_MEM

END_MEM

I am using a command prompt under Windows XP and the command line I am using is: -

lyxass hallo_a.asm

I think that the problem is that the LYXASS that I am using is the wrong one, it states "tjass/lyxass C-version V0.47".

If this is the cause of my problem, please can someone advise where to get a version of lyxass that works with assembly source?

Thanks

Robin

BEGIN_ZP

END_ZP

BEGIN_MEM

END_MEM

These are macros which you have to include first.

* include macros

path "c:\lynx\alles"

include <hardware.asm>

include "help.mac"

Hi sage, thanks for your reply. However, these macros are already referenced (although in a different path) and are present in the c:\lynx\bll\macros directory. The macro definition in the code I am trying to assemble is:

* macros

path "c:\lynx\bll\macros"

include <hardware.asm>

include "help.mac"

include "if_while.mac"

include "font.mac"

include "window.mac"

include "mikey.mac"

include "suzy.mac"

include "irq.mac"

include "debug.mac"

path

and the syntax errors still persist...

C:\LYNX>lyxass hallo_a.asm

hallo_a.asm: 38:ERROR:

Syntax Error !

hallo_a.asm: 39:ERROR:

Syntax Error !

hallo_a.asm: 41:ERROR:

Syntax Error !

hallo_a.asm: 45:ERROR:

Syntax Error !

Code-size : 2046

Lines : 3736

Macros expanded : 63

Pass 2 runs : 113

Start-address : $21f0

Memory usage : 1129948

Total Errors :4

No file written !

C:\LYNX>

I have attached the entire example to this post. This is identical to Bjoern's original except that I have changed the paths to the resource files as necessary for my installation.

Thanks for any further assistance you can offer... perhaps I am too much of a dummy for Bjoern's tutorial..? :ponder:

hallo_a.txt

include <hardware.asm>

What is hardware.asm?

I compiled your code with lyxass without problems by removing hardware.asm and hallobm2.spr (as you did not include it).

The code is OK in my opinion.

--

Karri

I don't know what hardware.asm is and it's not *my* code! I'm following the tutorial because, although I am an experienced assembly programmer (with various micros but not 6502) I wanted to learn something about programming for the Lynx. I was hoping I could start with a simple "Hello World" example...

I've also tried removing hardware.asm and hallobm2.spr but I still get the syntax errors on the four lines as before.

So, perhaps I am using the wrong version of Lyxass, which is what I suspected.. Please tell me what your version of Lyxass is, or perhaps post it if that is allowed? :?:

include <hardware.asm>

What is hardware.asm?

I compiled your code with lyxass without problems by removing hardware.asm and hallobm2.spr (as you did not include it).

The code is OK in my opinion.

--

Karri

I don't know what hardware.asm is and it's not *my* code! I'm following the tutorial because, although I am an experienced assembly programmer (with various micros but not 6502) I wanted to learn something about programming for the Lynx. I was hoping I could start with a simple "Hello World" example...

I've also tried removing hardware.asm and hallobm2.spr but I still get the syntax errors on the four lines as before.

So, perhaps I am using the wrong version of Lyxass, which is what I suspected.. Please tell me what your version of Lyxass is, or perhaps post it if that is allowed? :?:

I am not exactly sure which version I am running. On my U3 stick image I have the files included here and they seem to work fine. I copied the files into c:/lynx/bll and it worked for me.

--

Karri

bll.zip