IGNORED

Does this tick anyone else off or just me.....

brucebidder

Sellers using mailers  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Does getting a game in a cheapo mailer make you mad?

• yes
    • no

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

So I buy and sell alot on ebay of course now that I know there is a sale and want forum here that might change. But anyway I have bought well over 500 auctions and sold over 200 auctions over the years and rarely have had a problem. When I sell something it goes in a box regardless of size or price. THen in the last week I recieved two boxed atari games from two different sellers in cheapo bubble mailers. Both game boxes by the time I got them were basically bent smashed and worthless. Now I'm not talking about ET or Pac Man here they were both R5 games and they cost me 40.00 and 25.00. Now I mean it wasn't like a boxed quadrun but still what are they thinking. Do they think the post office treats mailers with gloves and soft pillows to lie on. UGHHHHHH>

Edited by brucebidder

Yes, sadly this is pretty common. It's bad enough that you have to explicitly ASK sellers to use a box before you even bid on an item that may be fragile. There are tons of threads on AtariAge about this very subject. Too many sellers are pinching every penny they can, which typically means making a profit on shipping by using the cheapest shipping method possible, with the cheapest packing material possible. Hell, I once received a boxed game wrapped in PAPER, not even a bubble mailer.

..Al

Yes, sadly this is pretty common. It's bad enough that you have to explicitly ASK sellers to use a box before you even bid on an item that may be fragile. There are tons of threads on AtariAge about this very subject. Too many sellers are pinching every penny they can, which typically means making a profit on shipping by using the cheapest shipping method possible, with the cheapest packing material possible. Hell, I once received a boxed game wrapped in PAPER, not even a bubble mailer.

..Al

Now that is pretty petty. I don't care if the guy waited a month to pay me. I still wouldn't do that.

Boxed games + Bubble Wrapper = :skull:

Well I know the post office asks if you have fragile items. Was their a fragile stamp on the package? :ponder:

To me that just spells trouble. I can see some young punk kid in the sorting office stomping on that bubble wrapper for "fun" as soon as they saw the fragile stamp, and then tossing it back in the bin pretending nothing happened. If it's fragile put it in a box.

A fragile stamp does nothing to abscond the seller from properly packaging an item. Now, perhaps the USPS has some "rules" about how a package marked as "fragile" should be handled, but given the sheer volume of packages handled every day by them, do you really think they're going to pay special attention to any of them, much less ones marked "fragile"? There's no excuse to ship boxed games in bubble mailers--small boxes are cheap in reasonable quantities (cheap as in only 25 cents each in quantities of 25 or more). But of course they are a little heavier than a bubble mailer (and you then need some additional filler, like peanuts), so that would cut into shipping profits.. :roll:

..Al

I always offer insurance on everything I ship. I think sometimes this is overlooked. I have been lucky. I have shipped games in bubble mailers BUT I wrap the game in addition bubble tape then put it in the mailer. If they wish to pay priority. It will be in a box. :)

Edited by ninermaniac

I always offer insurance on everything I ship. I think sometimes this is overlooked. I have been lucky. I have shipped games in bubble mailers BUT I wrap the game in addition bubble tape then put it in the mailer. If they wish to pay priority. It will be in a box. :)

I'm not sure the USPS would pay the insurance on a damaged game if you shipped it in a bubble mailer.

..Al

A fragile stamp does nothing to abscond the seller from properly packaging an item. Now, perhaps the USPS has some "rules" about how a package marked as "fragile" should be handled, but given the sheer volume of packages handled every day by them, do you really think they're going to pay special attention to any of them, much less ones marked "fragile"? There's no excuse to ship boxed games in bubble mailers--small boxes are cheap in reasonable quantities (cheap as in only 25 cents each in quantities of 25 or more). But of course they are a little heavier than a bubble mailer (and you then need some additional filler, like peanuts), so that would cut into shipping profits.. :roll:

..Al

WHat I find funny is that of the two the one marked fragile was smashed and the seal was partially ripped open and the top of the box was missing. THe one not marked fragile simply got crushed. What I do for my items I sell: I buy in bulk small medium and large boxes it costs 25-75 cents a box. For filler my wife saves all our newspapers and shreds them for me and puts them into a couple 20 gallon tupperware containers. We save our plastic bags from Giant Eagle since they give you a bag for each individual item you buy. Presto Game or whatnot in Giant Eagle bag, Tie it shut put in box use shredded newspaper filler seal box it all costs less than a dollar an item. I add a buck for shipping supplies and I have never had a complaint....

I'm not sure the USPS would pay the insurance on a damaged game if you shipped it in a bubble mailer.

..Al

They have too if you pay for it. I recieved a game destroyed back in April last year. They fully paid for it. Granted it took 30 days but yes, they did pay.

..Al

They will not pay for poor packaging etiquite. I ran into an issue with an insured item packaged in a bubble mailer. I fought and fought and basically it came down to damage due to normal mail processing. I was told the packaging caused the issue not the process so I got nothing. BUt in another instance I had an item packaged well that was apparantlyt destroyed by a sorter and that was covered no questions.

Bruce

..Al

They have too if you pay for it. I recieved a game destroyed back in April last year. They fully paid for it. Granted it took 30 days but yes, they did pay.

They absolutely do not have to pay the insurance claim. Before they will pay the claim, you need to bring the damaged item(s) and original packaging into the post office for inspection. If the item was obviously not packaged well, they can reject your claim.

..Al

..Al

Actually your incorrect they do not have to. It can come down to the claim and who handles it. THere are eligibility rules and if they are deemed not followed, especially if postage is purchased online and the items are dropped off not necessarily inspected at the post office. Plus you have to bring your item and the original box in for inspection. Here are the ineligible insurance claim rules from the USPS:

4.2.3 Ineligible Matter

The following types of mail may not be insured:

a. Parcels containing matter offered for sale, addressed to prospective purchasers who have not ordered or authorized their sending. If such matter is mailed, payment is not made for loss, rifling, or damage.

b. Nonmailable matter.

c. Articles so fragile that they cannot be carried safely in the mail regardless of packaging.

d. Articles not adequately prepared to withstand normal handling in the mail.

e. Mail not bearing the complete names and addresses of the sender and addressee.

f. Standard Mail letters, flats, and NFMs.

g. Matter mailed at First-Class Mail rates (including Priority Mail) that consists of items described in 123.3.0, Content Standards for Priority Mail; 133.3.0, Content Standards; 233.2.0, Content Standards for First-Class Mail Letters; 333.2.0, Content Standards for First-Class Mail Flats; and 433.2.0, Content Standards for First-Class Mail Parcels, and required to be mailed at First-Class Mail rates.

Edited by brucebidder

You are correct. I guess I got to caught up in this subject thinking about "What's the big deal." Thinking about it now. I was pissed I didn't get my MINT CONDITION Miner 2049er II. Not trying to cause a stink. I have just been lucky getting what I have got. Otherwise, I see what you are saying. If the shipper really is screwwing you. He or she will through shipping. Henseforth comes the reputation of the seller. I only request Priority in a beautiful brown box. :)

..Al

Yes,you are correct in your assumptions.I worked for a company that installed the conveyor systems for the new postal station that was being built.The workers have to keep the momentum and production steady.They have no time or patience to baby handle packages.They couldnt give a rats ass if the package says fragile,meants squat to them!.They say its the senders responsibilty to properly packs thing so they arrive undamaged,and i agree.I watched them throw parcels like they were garbage,i will never order anything by mail of substantial weight,dont trust them,or the senders packaging skills.Oh yes,and as far as items going through customs,if things get damaged there,its %100 guaranteed that they'll say tough shit for you mate,customs has more power than all police forces combined,cant screw with them!!!!!!!!,dont even try or go there!

Edited by Rik

You are correct. I guess I got to caught up in this subject thinking about "What's the big deal." Thinking about it now. I was pissed I didn't get my MINT CONDITION Miner 2049er II. Not trying to cause a stink. I have just been lucky getting what I have got. Otherwise, I see what you are saying. If the shipper really is screwwing you. He or she will through shipping. Henseforth comes the reputation of the seller. I only request Priority in a beautiful brown box. :)

THe problem iwith reputation is as someone said earlier the same sellers usually hold feedback hostage so if you neg em, you get a neg and then your feedback suffers.

Well I guess the moral is ask the seller everytime to ship it in a box and also to make sure he knows that videogames do not qualify as media mail. I have had 5 different sellers in the last 2 years send me stuff that got inspected and I had to pay the difference or not get my item thats another b*&^% of mine... Oh well life goes on :x

You know what pisses me off the most?is when you pay the sender to send a mint boxed cart, priority, in a nice padded box,and they send the thing in a bubble wrap envelope instead,and box arrives all squashed up.Happened to me a couple of times.

I always ship Priority in the USPS box and consider insurance to be more for my protection!

Sellers that ship in a bubble-ope also tend to hold your feedback hostage.

Simple solution to that:

"Hi, I am joe Ebay, bidding on your boxed Atari game. I'd like it shipped in a box, and I am willing to pay a little extra for that. If you ship in a bubble mailer, you will automatically receive negative feedback. Have a good day! :) "

I always ship Priority in the USPS box and consider insurance to be more for my protection!

Sellers that ship in a bubble-ope also tend to hold your feedback hostage.

Simple solution to that:

"Hi, I am joe Ebay, bidding on your boxed Atari game. I'd like it shipped in a box, and I am willing to pay a little extra for that. If you ship in a bubble mailer, you will automatically receive negative feedback. Have a good day! :) "

Good point I guess this is the route I shall be taking from here on out.

..Al

I was looking aquickly but was curious if there is a thread for a list of problematic sellers for shipping?