IGNORED

Updated Classics you'd like to see on the Jaguar.

Gorf

Would it be possible to include some 'non' atari games (esp. those that came out on the speccy, c64, amiga etc)

here's my choice

RTYPE (from pc-engine version)

Denaris (c64/amiga version)

Great Giana Sisters (as above)

Turrican (as above)

I/O or Armalyte (as above)

Rastan Saga (c64)

Motos (c64/speccy)

Bubble bobble (c64/spccy)

there are more but my brain has fried

Would it be possible to include some 'non' atari games (esp. those that came out on the speccy, c64, amiga etc)

here's my choice

Nope...all fine...just not any I would ever bother redoing myself.

I'd be very biased to Atari, Midway, type games.

D'OH! No love for DK! :D

Ninja Golf :P

Scrapyard Dog :D

Bounty Bob Strikes Back :cool:

Pitfall II: Lost Caverns ;)

Realsports Baseball :cool:

here's my choice

RTYPE (from pc-engine version)

Denaris (c64/amiga version)

Great Giana Sisters (as above)

Turrican (as above)

I/O or Armalyte (as above)

Rastan Saga (c64)

Motos (c64/speccy)

Bubble bobble (c64/spccy)

there are more but my brain has fried

Well, we almost got an R Type remake (kinda) with the Native demo.

Ah, a Turrican game that made good use of the Jaguars 2d muscle, that would rock.

All nice picks man.

Well, we almost got an R Type remake (kinda) with the Native demo.

what was the situation with native? they just gave up upon finding a publisher?

I believe they could not afford the development any longer.

Another reason why the Jag lost a lot of developers. It just

took too long to code the game and no money was flowing in.

Atari was not shelling out any money to developers as they

should have. Coding the Jag is a lot of work and will take a

very long time. It is a big part of the reason why our games

are not done yet. This has been a spare time thing and we

have contract work that pays us a living that must come first.

If we starve, we can't code anything now can we? :)

Im sure Duranik would have liked to finish it but you can't live on love alone.

Edited by Gorf

I Heard that the Jaguar uses the same proccy as the ST and low end miggies (i.e. 68000) only difference being i guess is all the extra hardware (i.e. sound/gfx etc) you have got to program for

You might find it tough doing 'Great Giana Sisters' though, if memory serves me right Nintendo forced the original publishers (Rainbow Arts) to remove it from the market owning to similarities with a certain famous nintendo game (though My Brother did own a c64 original and I saw an ST original, complete with box/packaging in a retro shop a few years later)

Who owns the rights to I,Robot?

Atari does.....here is a list of titles I know factually that still belong to Atari.

(P) = prototype

1. Agent X

2. Asteroids Deluxe

3. Asteroids

4. Atari Basebal

5. Atari Football

6. Atari Football 4 Player

6. Atari MiniGolf (P)

7. Atari Soccer

8. Avalanche

9. Basketball

10. Battlezone

11. Bradley Trainer (P)

12. Black Widow

13. Boxer (P)

14. Cannonball (P)

15. Canyon Bomber

16. Centipede

17. Cloud 9 (P)

18. Cops N Robbers

19. Destroyer

20. Dominos

21. Drag Race

22. Fire Truck

23. Food Fight

24. Gravitar

25. Lunar Battle (Gravitar Proto)

26. Lunar Lander

27. I, Robot

28. Liberator

29. Liberator 2

30. Major Havoc

31. Alpha One (Major Havoc Proto)

32. Millipede

33. Missile Command

34. Monte Carlo

35. Night Driver

36. Orbit

37. Pong

38. Pool Shark

39. Quantum

40. Qwak (P)

41. Red Baron

42. Runaway (P)

43. Sky Diver

44. Sky Raider

45. Space Duel

46. Sprint 1

47. Sprint 2

48. Sprint 4

49. Sprint 8

50. Starship

51. Subs

52. Super Breakout

53. Super Bug

54. Tank 8

55. Tempest

56. Tournament Table

57. Tournament Table 2

58. Triple Hunt

59. Tunnel Hunt

60. Ultra Tank

61. Video Pinball

62. Warlords

63. Wolf Pack (P)

I Heard that the Jaguar uses the same proccy as the ST and low end miggies (i.e. 68000) only difference being i guess is all the extra hardware (i.e. sound/gfx etc) you have got to program for

Depends on how you set it up. While it has an m68k in there, you don't have to use it as the CPU. The two risc CPU's are far faster. It's a similar arrangement to that found in the Sony Playstation 2, where you had the 33Mhz R3k CPU out of the PSX, but the two higher-end EE were the actual bosses of the machine. You have to understand, the Jaguar was supposed to be the follow-up platform for the Atari Panther, which used an m68k as the main CPU. So, in essence, the m68k was for legacy support for a legacy that never actually shipped. **boggle**

The Jaguar would be great for updates to Atari games like:

Crystal Castles

I, Robot

Agent X (Cloak & Dagger)

Liberator

Space Duel

Major Havoc

I think what might be a very interesting project would be to do psuedo laserdisc games, like how Dragon's Lair was brought to the Jag, why not look to bring games like Firefox, Mach 3 and others... the laserdisc captures have all been done and sites like dragonslairproject.com can help with the scene's and even the sequences...

So why not make a Jag CD version of those games, could be a cool fun project!

Curt

Crystal Castles

I, Robot

Agent X (Cloak & Dagger)

Liberator

Space Duel

Major Havoc

I think what might be a very interesting project would be to do psuedo laserdisc games, like how Dragon's Lair was brought to the Jag, why not look to bring games like Firefox, Mach 3 and others... the laserdisc captures have all been done and sites like dragonslairproject.com can help with the scene's and even the sequences...

Curt

You've seen some of my jag stuff. You also know we are making tools to better deal with

coding easier. None of these games mentioned would require much as most of the classics

fit ina very small amount of ROM. The hardest part is adding any 3rd dimensiom and any new

stuff of that nature.

Crystal Castles

I, Robot

Agent X (Cloak & Dagger)

Liberator

Space Duel

Major Havoc

Curt

You've seen some of my jag stuff. You also know we are making tools to better deal with

coding easier. None of these games mentioned would require much as most of the classics

fit ina very small amount of ROM. The hardest part is adding any 3rd dimensiom and any new

stuff of that nature.

Might I add...

I, Robot

Space Duel

Major Havoc

Are no brainers and should have been released with the machine.

Crystal Castles

I, Robot

Agent X (Cloak & Dagger)

Liberator

Space Duel

Major Havoc

Curt

As much as I would like to see new laserdisc games for the Jag I don't think we'll see any, thanks the lost of JagCD documentation and we'll never see full use of the JagCD.

Crystal Castles

I, Robot

Agent X (Cloak & Dagger)

Liberator

Space Duel

Major Havoc

Curt

As much as I would like to see new laserdisc games for the Jag I don't think we'll see any, thanks the lost of JagCD documentation and we'll never see full use of the JagCD.

The Jaguar CD is not lost. We know all we need to know about it to make proper CD games.

If you mean there is no one making these Cd drives anymore, that is another story.

Not as old as most of the games mentioned, but what about STUN Runner?, how well could the Jaguar run a straight conversion of that?

I have to be honest, i grew up playing with the NES; i had a 2600 and a Colecovision before it, but i was too young and my parents rarely let me play them. So the NES made me a gamer for life, and i missed on the wonderfull era that was before it, thus i didnt know about a lot of the games you guys have mentioned. Crystal Castles, Major Havoc, and I Robot particulary intrigue me, i have been reading some reviews and you guys are right, they would make amazing Jaguar games, they all sound very original. Its a shame that they have not been console ports of some of this, but that would make the Jaguar remakes even more special, right?

Not as old as most of the games mentioned, but what about STUN Runner?, how well could the Jaguar run a straight conversion of that?

I have to be honest, i grew up playing with the NES; i had a 2600 and a Colecovision before it, but i was too young and my parents rarely let me play them. So the NES made me a gamer for life, and i missed on the wonderfull era that was before it, thus i didnt know about a lot of the games you guys have mentioned. Crystal Castles, Major Havoc, and I Robot particulary intrigue me, i have been reading some reviews and you guys are right, they would make amazing Jaguar games, they all sound very original. Its a shame that they have not been console ports of some of this, but that would make the Jaguar remakes even more special, right?

Absolutely!

• 2 weeks later...

Adventure 3D would have been (and still could be) a killer app. Think about it: what was one of the best (if not the best) games on N64? Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. LoZ: OoT was a 3D sequel to a formerly 2D overhead action-adventure game series that dated back to the original NES LoZ game.

What game was a direct inspiration (and ancestor, really) the original LoZ game?

Adventure for the 2600/VCS.

Hell, the title "Adventure" is really a misnomer, as the game itself was the first action-adventure game (adventure games are a different genre, action-adventure's mix action gameplay with adventure gameplay) in video game history, and therefore isn't only the inspiration of the original LoZ, but pretty much every single last action-adventure game that has come since.

So, if LoZ 3D on N64 was such a watershed moment, imagine what Adventure 3D for Jaguar would have been in '94 or so, years before OoT was released for N64.

And that's pretty much how I envision Adventure 3D for Jag. Like LoZ: OoT, but flat shaded (with maybe a few textures here and there) and more...Western-flavored (not JP flavored like LoZ). And it would be 3rd person, not a first person POV game, but still looking a lot like the Q3 Adventure map. And add those flying dragons from the first pic in the topic. Hell, it'd be killer if one could ride a dragon in the game.

*sighs

Man I wish that would happen.

BTW, since Haunted House was the 2nd ever action-adventure game (from what I remember) and the 1st ever so-called "survival horror" game, I'd just use the already in use (in this hypothetical, at least) Adventure 3D engine with some modifications.

Yars Revenge would have been another great update. I'm thinking something like Buck Bumble for the N64, but set in the cold darkness of space.

Battlezone would be another good one. Obviously the wireframe graphics are out, but Hover Strike was pretty much planned as Battlezone for Jag, so I figure it would look kind of like that. Hopefully with a better framerate though. The controls, at least, would be better than Hover Strike (no wrestling with "real" hover craft controls).

Atlantis would've been another good one too.

If I did any classic in 3D it would be JUST like the original in gameplay

and maybe some extra's, providing they did not take away from the feel.

I for one could have done without the bonus rounds of Tempest 2k.

Im still trying to figure out how they relate to the original spirit of

Tempest in the Arcade. This is not to say they are not very cool,

becasue they are. I just felt they were out of place. I just barely

tolerated the powerups. I would have made that an option myself.

The 2k graphics with no powerups. It would have been nice if Mr.

Minter had access toa REAL arcade temepst machine. MAME did not

even emulate Tempest till well after that. So that was not even an

option for him. I think the gameplay was good in T2k but not exactly

like the arcade and sometimes too easy and sometimes too hard.

The pulsars are wrong. In the arcade, they come up the lane and flip

around after you around the rim. OR they can turn back and start going

back down the conduit. They did not just come and kill you as they do

in T2k as Minter had them do. Oh and not enough arcade sound alike

SFX. es, new sounds are cool, but never abandon the original sounds

(unless they just plain suck anyway).