IGNORED

Best way to get another 7800?

godzillajoe

Hmm... what's the best way to get a 7800?

Interesting question.

I suppose if I had to choose how I'd get one, I'd have one hand-delivered by a skydiver.

That would really be a pretty good way to get a 7800.

If one popped out of a cake, that would be pretty good, but cliche.

The boss says that there's a problem in shipping, and I need to go straighten it out, and there's a backup on the assembly line. I inspect, and see that a mint-condition 7800 is in there, and is looking for a new home.

What other "ultimate scenarios" can people come up with?

-John

After digging it out from under a load of non working 5200 controllers (and then putting the 5200 controllers back in the bin)

I suppose you could also look for one inside that storage area in the 5200. The 7800, the two broken controllers, and a family of four could probably fit back there. Along with the console made by a leather company that bested it.

<mini rant> I mean come on, the 7800 lost to Nintendo! The Mario people who are still here today 20 something years later with the hottest selling console on the market. There's no shame there. The 5200 lost to people who make things from dead cow. </mini rant>

Edited by Atarifever

Why spread so much hate for the 7800? I could think of lots of ways to trash the 5200, and lots of reasons to sell mine. I actually grew up on a little bit of 5200 and NES. I have all three now and the 7800 gets used the most out of 'em all. Shockingly, I do not own a 2600.

It's understandable that you might not like a system, but that's no reason to go around telling all the prospective buyers that it's a waste of their money and telling the new owners that they got jacked.

If you'd been around when I got my 7800 almost three years ago, I'd have ignored you.

@godzillajoe: The 7800's only weakness quality wise is the plastic casing. I think the electronics could stand up to a nuclear blast. It's not real difficult for me to work on mine, and I'm sure that anyone who's willing to study it will have no problems under the hood.

Put simply, I don't think your 7800 will be dying any time soon.

Edited by shadow460

Why spread so much hate for the 7800? I could think of lots of ways to trash the 5200, and lots of reasons to sell mine. I actually grew up on a little bit of 5200 and NES. I have all three now and the 7800 gets used the most out of 'em all. Shockingly, I do not own a 2600.

It's understandable that you might not like a system, but that's no reason to go around telling all the prospective buyers that it's a waste of their money and telling the new owners that they got jacked.

Atari 5200 also has been doing the same thing with Wii and thought a member on this site getting his Nintendo Wii stolen was good thing. He thought the thief was doing the member a "favor" .

step 1:find someone that has never played a 7800 and has just bought one recently.

step 2: wait for it to end up in the trash

step 3: take from trash.

Everyone has to be the comedian,i have to admit though,that is pretty funny,even though i dont agree

There are two on eBay right now but one of those ends 5 hours from the time of this post.

I'm a big Jaguar enthusist :), and I owned a light sixer back in the early eighties. I decided that I would like to own an Atari 7800 and I won one of those two console onlys that were ending on ebay today. I was trying to save money. :P Now I'm faced with the fact that I have no power supply, TV connector, no contollers, or any 2600, 5200 or 7800 items (including games) at all. I paid $10.50 for the 7800 console only + $9.20 s/h. I need all the stuff I just mentioned and I'm thinking about picking up another 7800 lot or ordering the stuff from Best. It would be cheaper if I picked up another 7800 lot on ebay, but if I buy from Best, I'll have new controllers, a new correct power supply and that Atari universal shielded RF adaptor. I'm looking forward to playing the 7800!

There are two on eBay right now but one of those ends 5 hours from the time of this post.

I'm a big Jaguar enthusist :), and I owned a light sixer back in the early eighties. I decided that I would like to own an Atari 7800 and I won one of those two console onlys that were ending on ebay today. I was trying to save money. :P Now I'm faced with the fact that I have no power supply, TV connector, no contollers, or any 2600, 5200 or 7800 items (including games) at all. I paid $10.50 for the 7800 console only + $9.20 s/h. I need all the stuff I just mentioned and I'm thinking about picking up another 7800 lot or ordering the stuff from Best. It would be cheaper if I picked up another 7800 lot on ebay, but if I buy from Best, I'll have new controllers, a new correct power supply and that Atari universal shielded RF adaptor. I'm looking forward to playing the 7800!

If you don't have enough parts you could always bid on this auction.

Edited by HammR25

Atari 5200 also has been doing the same thing with Wii and thought a member on this site getting his Nintendo Wii stolen was good thing. He thought the thief was doing the member a "favor" .

Shh, quiet, I got into trouble the last time I pointed out his trollishness. Let it drop. There are no trolls here. Soylent green is good for you. Big Brother is great. Etc.

Go to Best for that stuff. I think it's worth spending the extra money on TLC for your console. The power supply and TV connector aren't hard to come up with at all, but you may have to modify the 7800 for a new power supply. I wound up hacking a 1/8 inch mono plug into my 7800's power supply alongside the stock connector so it would run my wireless 2600 receiver.

Great system, but definitely don't rule out other Atari products.

Shh, quiet, I got into trouble the last time I pointed out his trollishness. Let it drop. There are no trolls here. Soylent green is good for you. Big Brother is great. Etc.

I was curious, that's all. I think I've got what it takes to drop an argument ... well ... until someone does something like flaming the best Atari console to grace the planet (but that's a another matter entirely)

step 1:find someone that has never played a 7800 and has just bought one recently.

Ding dong, the troll is back.

Funny... I literally pulled a 5200 from a trash can at a car wash. No joke. I still have it.

Ding dong, the troll is back.

I literally pulled a 5200 from a trash can at a car wash.

I guess they brought it down there for a cleaning, and when it wouldn't fit (the doors are only made with car sized objects in mind) they decided to just get rid of it.

Ray Kassar was well known to have quoted"We all know the 5200 is a piece of shit","..can be found in the 5200 section of atari7800.com.Each has their opinions.Me,i couldnt care less if one trashes another system,lifes to short for that.I like what i like,F#$k what the others say.

I pretty much find most of the classic consoles at the flea markets,thrifts.Theres only2 systems i have never ever seen in the wild:5200,7800.I lucked out and found my 7800 at the thrift store 2 summers ago for $7.99 cdn,including 2 pro-lines,switchboxand cable,pole position 2,power supply,all in like new condition,It is the 1st 7800 ive seen since collecting,in the wild,and the last,but never seen a 5200.Dont know about other cities,but here,you pretty much have to go to ebay for a 5200 or 7800.But finding any console or games has come to a stand still lately.So,for me,it would have been ebay for aquiring a 7800,but like i said,i lucked out on that one.So if you're patient enough,eventually you'll luck out and find one in the wild,but,that could be years,thats why ebay is great,dont have to wait years to find what you want,so it costs more?sure,cant have everything for nothing,one has to pay for conveniences.

Edited by Rik

Ray Kassar was well known to have quoted"We all know the 5200 is a piece of shit","..can be found in the 5200 section of atari7800.com.Each has their opinions.Me,i couldnt care less if one trashes another system,lifes to short for that.I like what i like,F#$k what the others say.

True that. Console fanboyism is inexcusable when it comes to classic systems IMO.