IGNORED

Wanted: Common 2600 Carts for Store Credit

Albert

I just used a heat gun to take the labels off of ET and Dig Dug and they came off with no problem. I used some lighter fluid to remove the glue residue and they're totally clean. 1 minute of work tops.

This can work, but you have to get the cart a fair bit hotter than with non-silver labels. Your chances of warping/melting the cart are higher, and I've generally had bad luck when trying to remove silver labels with a heat gun.

..Al

So far, the Nail Polish Remover is working great. I've got it damned near clean, and with no visible signs of damage to the cart itself.

Just takes a little patience. BTW, this isn't a name brand npr.....it's a "generic" WalMart brand.

Let it soak a while.......attack the label for 5 minutes.......let soak some more.........attack the label for 5 minutes..... let soak some more..........attack the label for 5 minutes.......Rince and repeat. I see no reason at this time for this cart case to not be usable.

I use Prepsol to remove silver labels from 5200 carts. First I disassemble the carts, then poor a thin layer (a few millimeters) of the chemical into a large plastic container. I then put the top half of the shells face down and let them soak for several hours. I can then use a plastic scraper to get nearly the entire label off. Any remaining label will come off after soaking again for another few hours. I then rinse the carts off in a soapy solution and there is no glue residue remaining.

I only do this for the 5200 carts since they aren't nearly as plentiful as 2600 carts. I don't like doing this as the chemical is quite noxious and I don't like working with it (I use protective gloves and a respirator). This would also work for the silver label 2600 carts, but again, I'd personally prefer not to go down that route.

..Al

I use charcoal lighter fluid for charcoal grills it stinks but makes stickers guey and will eveaporate . I would assume it might be as fustrating as that Et cart looked as I tried to remove a label w FLUX REMOVER and it sucked made a HUGE mess and was not worth it .

I wonder how well WD-40 would work? I don't have any spare silver labels to try it on, unfortunately.

I'd be glad to send you some. :)

If you want to send me a few, I'll try out some different ideas for removing the labels. Not sure I can come up with anything new, but it's worth a shot.

What is the proper way to remove lables from common carts? If I knew I could make it worthwhile to send in the ones I got. (Currently 15-20).

If you're sending non-silver / -red labels to Al for store credit, you don't need to remove the labels.

If you want to remove a label for some other reason, the usual way is to use a heat gun (paint stripper) on low heat setting, or a hair dryer, to heat up the label until it peels easily. Most of the time with non-foil labels this method will do no or minimal damage to the label and it can be reapplied later. If the label doesn't want to stick when putting it back, using heat again will usually work. Glue stick (the permanent kind) is also good for re-sticking labels, or sticking on homemade labels made from non-adhesive paper.

What about gray labels? How tough are they to remove?

These often come off relatively easy with a heat gun. However, these are often later games from Atari and thus in the "cheaper" cartridge shells they produced later. If they are the carts with the two holes under the main label (at the end where the cart is inserted into the system) I am not interested in those as it's too easy for the label to become indented over these holes.

..Al

These often come off relatively easy with a heat gun. However, these are often later games from Atari and thus in the "cheaper" cartridge shells they produced later. If they are the carts with the two holes under the main label (at the end where the cart is inserted into the system) I am not interested in those as it's too easy for the label to become indented over these holes.

..Al

So is that to say that gray labels with a sliding dustcover (not the open ended style) would be ok?

I found a bottle of something called "Tape-Away" tape adhesive remover. I thought I'd give it a shot on my E.T. cart. Here's what I did:

1. Starting in each corner, I peeled as much away as I could, dry (which wasn't much, but enough to get started.)

2. Applied the Tape-Away over the entire label and let it soak for about an hour or so.

3. I would have used a razor blade if I could find one, but instead, I used a very sharp paring knife. Then, like peeling an apple, I started working the knife under the label. It peeled away pretty smooth, but I did scratch up the cart a little bit. Fortunately, none of that will show when a new label is applied. :)

I will try a razor blade the next time, but the Tape-Away worked well to dissolve the adhesive. For all other carts, the Tape-Away and a paper towel works great to dissolve the residue that the label leaves behind.

..Al

So is that to say that gray labels with a sliding dustcover (not the open ended style) would be ok?

Yes, those would be absolutely fine. :)

..Al

3. I would have used a razor blade if I could find one, but instead, I used a very sharp paring knife. Then, like peeling an apple, I started working the knife under the label. It peeled away pretty smooth, but I did scratch up the cart a little bit. Fortunately, none of that will show when a new label is applied. :)

Actually, even a small nick in the label surface may show through as a "bump" of some sort when the label is applied. I've had to discard many carts that were damaged in this fashion due to someone using a sharp implement to remove the label. If you can feel the scratches with your finger, then they will probably show up when the label is applied.

..Al

Actually, even a small nick in the label surface may show through as a "bump" of some sort when the label is applied. I've had to discard many carts that were damaged in this fashion due to someone using a sharp implement to remove the label. If you can feel the scratches with your finger, then they will probably show up when the label is applied.

..Al

Oh, I didn't know that...well, they're already packed up, but if you can't use it, that's cool. I hope you can, though. :) My package is going out in today's mail, FYI. :)

Oh, I didn't know that...well, they're already packed up, but if you can't use it, that's cool. I hope you can, though. :) My package is going out in today's mail, FYI. :)

I'll take a good look at it when they arrive, thanks. :) I appreciate your taking the time to remove the labels..

..Al