IGNORED

? about manuals for Atarisoft games.

Allan

Thanks PingvinBlueJeans,

I just found a Apple 2 Robotron on ebay that has the whole painting on the manual so I guess there are different kinds.

Does anybody have any of the Stargates?

Allan

OK, I got one off of eBay. So the big boxes have the big picture on the manual and the small boxes have the same cornered picture like the box does.

Allan

• 2 months later...

I just found a Apple 2 Robotron on ebay that has the whole painting on the manual so I guess there are different kinds.

Does anybody have any of the Stargates?

OK, I got one off of eBay. So the big boxes have the big picture on the manual and the small boxes have the same cornered picture like the box does.

Yes, the bigger boxes of the computer versions have the whole painting on the manual cover...the smaller boxes have an inset (just like the CV Galaxian manual above, except the manuals are white with color text).

The large boxes came first, and some of the Atarisoft titles came in both large and small versions (whereas other titles were one or the other exclusively). I believe Stargate was only released for the Apple II and IBM PC (in a large box)...I'm not sure if there was a small box release.

Large and small C64 versions below...

post-9346-1206651058_thumb.jpg

post-9346-1206651069_thumb.jpg

I've seen those before on websites, and I have a question. Does anyone know why Atarisoft made the covers so very ugly? They had great artwork, and then they tried to hide it all away. In my opinion, those are the only boxes worse than the ones for Master System cards.

Edited by Atarifever

Does anyone know why Atarisoft made the covers so very ugly? They had great artwork, and then they tried to hide it all away. In my opinion, those are the only boxes worse than the ones for Master System cards.

Well, I suppose "ugly" is a relative term...I quite like the Atarisoft boxes myself.

But yes, they do have a very minimalist look to them and my guess would be that Atari wanted them to have a certain look that was somewhat different from the games they released for their own systems. I dont think they wanted to really extend themselves design-wise, so the boxes were a bit less showy and the labels were standard grey with black text (except the CV and INTV releases, which had nice picture labels). It's also worth noting that most of the Atarisoft games were contracted out to other companies (except the CV and INTV releases, which were developed in-house) and that may also have played into the decision to issue these titles under a seperate publishing banner entirely (via Atarisoft). I just think Atari looked at these games from a completely different angle.

Edited by PingvinBlueJeans