IGNORED

Dreammovie: Dreamcast VCD, my first impressions

Gunstar

Before we get into a pitched argument, let's know the truth about how software companies work.

When a gaming developer makes a game, they are usually paid up front for development costs...or at least given an advance. Once the product is completed, then the publisher pays for the final product. The software developer gets their money then and there. The publisher then packages the product, and the outlets (Best Buy, EB, Wal-Mart etc...) pay their money to the publisher. So the developers and publishers already have their money up front. So whenever you get "warez", you aren't hurting the developers and publishers as much as you are hurting the software outlets. I personally buy 5-10 games a year...any game that I don't care to buy, I just borrow from friends and then return when I am done. Sure, I've copied a few of them...but it's not anything habitual.

Right,

Well I'm new to the whole VCD thing. It is possible to buy perfectly legal VCDs right? Or all VCDs pirated? What's the quality like, I don’t have a DVD player so how does it compare to VHS? As for players, does it need a reasonably fast computer to play them (like DivX)? Are all VCDs the same size per minuet, or are there different compression rates?

Bob - you are talking drivel...

Sorry to say that, but you are, I've been in games software development since the 80's.

Every stolen game is money denied to programmers, artists, game designers and all the other folk in this industry.

We don't sell all our copies on day one - the monies we are paid for our work are ADVANCES on royalties earned from continued sales of the games we sweat and work to make...

There is no excuse, there is no position on piracy that is anything other than greed makes you do it...

Anyway - you can buy perfectly legal VCD software...

sTeVE

Jet Boot Jack, I completely agree with your viewpoint on piracy.

There is NO credible reason to support or partake in ANY kind of piracy.

Movies cost too much to see in the theater? Gimme a break!

Console games cost too much? Oh please, If you are that hard up for cash, rent it or wait until it goes on clearance at some deptment store.

DVDs cost too much? Why do you have a DVD player in the first place?

Ok, enough of my rant.

back on topic.

How do you find real, commercially produced, legal VCDs? I have been interested in VCDs but have been leary of them since they are so easily pirated. If I pay for a VCD, I want to pay for a real one.