IGNORED

Got a Lynx thru Craigslist. Questions?

Zeptari

Got a Lynx thru my local Craigslist.com. A Lynx2 and Checkered Flag for $20.

I figured it was a good deal. Plus i needed a second one because my Lynx doesn't run on batteries.

My first Lynx 2 works on a power cord fine, but one day a long time ago the thing made a foaming noise, sparked brightly

and then died! like i said it still runs fine with a power cord.

Anyways. The same thing happened with the one i got today!!!!! :x

No real spark but a whole lotta battery foaming!!! This one "thank god" still works with a power cord.

My question: Anyone else have this battery problem? If not, you might wanna watch out.

-rick

post-4314-1200960712_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zeptari1

Wow, what kind of batteries are you using? It sounds like the batteries are exploding and leaking acid. You probably have a lot of old battery acid on the contacts and that is why it won't work with batteries.

Mitch

Duracells.

It ran fine for like 20mins or so.

If you guys could have heard the foaming noise you would have freaked!

What a mess!!! It took me like 15 mins to clean the mess out!

It's just so weird! this has happend to me twice! with two different Lynx 2's!in two different decades! :D

-rick

Wow, what kind of batteries are you using? It sounds like the batteries are exploding and leaking acid. You probably have a lot of old battery acid on the contacts and that is why it won't work with batteries.

Mitch

Duracells.

It ran fine for like 20mins or so.

What a mess!!! It took me like 15 mins to clean the mess out!

It's just so weird! this has happend to me twice! with two different Lynx 2's!in two different decades! :D

-rick

If I were you I would contact Duracell and ask for some sort of reimbursement. Battery manufactures have protection policies on any battery that is ran under normal circumstances and damages your hardware. Of course, I'm sure you've long since threw them away (as they would probably be required?) so I dunno.

I had some shitty batteries explode in my Lynx2 once.... it was going all over me and the floor and I literally TOSSED the whole lynx out the front door (screen went bright white and the acid was foaming everywhere out the bottom). Kinda freaked me out but I got over it and oddly enough (even after the toss) nothing was wrong with the Lynx at all... not even a scratch or dent... and I really chugged that thing.

Scary. I have once melted most of the plastic by dropping a screwdriver on the battery case while the unit was open. I used NiCd cells with full power and they literally melted the entire unit in a splitsecond.

But I have never had a normal battery explode. Usually only my electronic cabinets explode, catch fire and so on.

A leaked battery may leave a conducting surface on the plastic and inserting a new fresh battery will then feed lots of power in heating the plastic instead of running the Lynx. And with a Duracell I mean LOTS OF POWER. Much more than you could ever dream of to get from an AC adaptor.

I would definitely change the entire battery compartment to a new one. Cleaning the leaked acid away is very difficult. Even if you see nothing you may use a multimeter to measure the resistance between the + and - poles in the battery compartment. The battery compartment may be short circuited permanently after an acid leak.

--

Karri

• 4 weeks later...

I had a lesson learned with a HP Digital Camera when I was deployed to Qatar in the Persian Gulf. I left my camera in the carrying case I had on the floor of the front of a car. It sat out in the vehicle during the day and it toasted the NiCad batteries.

You might be better off buying a battery pack for the Lynx. Best Electronics has this: NiCad battery pack

Glenn

I know the sound well, happened to me in a wireless computer mouse about a year ago. Seemed like a freak occurrence, I cleaned it up and have been using it since, I assume it was just a bad battery. Having it happen twice, on 2 separate devices is pretty strange though.

Edited by elliott