IGNORED

Classic Game systems spotted in movies...

EricDeLee

What is the system being played at the beginning of National Lampoons Vacation? Is it a 2600? I think there is a Coleco handheld later in the movie at there cousins house also.

I do not think it was an Atari 2600, to me it look liked some kind of early home computer a TI 99 maybe ?.

I could be wrong as I have not seen that movie in years, so it could very well have been a 2600 you saw.

Hell yeah that was a great movie! I remember an episode of Different Strokes was about an arcade machine, and for some reason I remember the Cosby show having an actual gaming system being played in one of the episodes.

They were playing an NES in the Cosby show. Bill Cosby's "dad" was playing with Bill looking on. I also remember an episode of Fresh Prince of Bel air where Will Smith was playing an NES, I think he also had the Zapper.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I saw a 2600 used in an old sitcom called "gimme a break !" with Nel Carter and in an Episode of another sitcom called "wiz kids" I remember seeing an Atari 1450 Home computer.

Oh yeah on an Episode of "Roseanne" they had a super Nes they were playing but with 2600 pacman sound fx (that was weird to say the least)

That always drives me nuts when I see some a NEW(er) game system and they are using Atari 2600 sound effects in the background---Why do they do that? They Love to use Pac-Man and Donkey Kong from the 2600.

Yeah I hear those 2600 sounds in new commercials and advertisements all the time.I figure its because they're just simply very memorable hooky sounds.Much like how car commercials use those catchy 80'S and 70's tunes in their commercials touting their new car models,to catch people's attention.Makes sense to me as music from those eras had alot more talent and musicianship to them than todays IMO,that includes video games from those eras as well.

Edited by Rik

I saw a 2600 used in an old sitcom called "gimme a break !" with Nel Carter and in an Episode of another sitcom called "wiz kids" I remember seeing an Atari 1450 Home computer.

Oh yeah on an Episode of "Roseanne" they had a super Nes they were playing but with 2600 pacman sound fx (that was weird to say the least)

That always drives me nuts when I see some a NEW(er) game system and they are using Atari 2600 sound effects in the background---Why do they do that? They Love to use Pac-Man and Donkey Kong from the 2600.

Yeah I hear those 2600 sounds in new commercials and advertisements all the time.I figure its because they're just simply very memorable hooky sounds.Much like how car commercials use those catchy 80'S and 70's tunes in their commercials touting their new car models,to catch people's attention.Makes sense to me as music from those eras had alot more talent and musicianship to them than todays IMO,that includes video games from those eras as well.

I always thought of the Roseanne example this way. Walk past a room with someone playing a newer game and just listen, you might mistake it for a TV show for at least a second, if you're not a gamer, you could easily mistake it. Walk past 2600 Pac-Man without looking. Is it a game or a show? The producers just want to be sure your Grandfather knows they're playing a video game even if we noticed it 2 milliseconds after the scene started. :)

• 3 months later...

Atari 2600:

Pursuit of Happiness

My Name Is Earl

Astrocade:

National Lampoon's Vacation

NES:

Rosanne

SNES:

Rosanne

Game Gear:

Music video for "Stay" by U2

Intellivision:

Married With Children (sorta...in one of the early episodes, Peg goes on a shopping spree with Al's money, Al asks "where did this video game come from?" and picks up the new copy of Space Armada that he was sitting on)

There are some cool arcade appearances in Dawn of The Dead (Night Driver, Star Ship 1, Gunfight, Quak!, F-1), Soylent Green (Computer Space), and Terminator 2 (Missile Command, Afterburner(?), others, as well as an Atari portable computer).

do you guys remember the movie "The Wizard" with fred savage and his brother ben savage

there was a competition at the end with super mario 3 came out for the nes

great movie gotta check it out :)

That was less a movie and more of a crappy 2 hour Nintendo commercial.

"I love the Power Glove. It's so bad."

So was the movie...

Also, I remember an episode of the Cosby show where the kids were facing the camera and were supposed to be playing a video game. One of the kids seems to lose or get shot or something and kind of pulls his controller in disgust and then continues playing. Thing is, when he pulls the controller, you can see that it isn't attached to anything, but he keeps playing anyway. They looked like Genesis controllers iirc.

Also, there was a movie, can't remember which one, where someone was playing a game (I think it was a Nintendo controller) while sitting in a limo, but the sound effects were from 2600 PacMan.

I remembered the TurboExpress in Enemy of the State with Will Smith, was gonna add that if no one else had (but I see that two people have already mentioned it.)

Also, weren't there several games in the Richard Prior movie "The Toy?"

And I remember some thing being played in the television show "Silver Spoons" with Ricky Schroeder...

Edited by Eltigro