IGNORED

Atari 2600 audio recording question

bryann380

Hi, back on the forum after a 3 year absense. Last time I was here, I was cancelling a project called Legend Of Zelda: Swordquest. :) Sorry if this topic is in the wrong section but I didn't know which one to put it in.

I'm working on remaking Yar's Revenge using a program called Game Maker. My version will have a new feature not in the Atari one. As you progress, the Qotile's shield cells take more than one bullet to destroy and if left damaged, they will slowly regenerate back to full strength. But anyway, on to the question.

Is there a good or effective way to record the sounds from the Atari version? I do have the Stella emulator and tried to record sounds from it with Audacity. However, either the audio wouldn't be detected or the playback is just steady popping noise, regardless of my record/playback settings. Is there anything else that can be used to record Atari sounds instead?

Hi, back on the forum after a 3 year absense. Last time I was here, I was cancelling a project called Legend Of Zelda: Swordquest. :) Sorry if this topic is in the wrong section but I didn't know which one to put it in.

I'm working on remaking Yar's Revenge using a program called Game Maker. My version will have a new feature not in the Atari one. As you progress, the Qotile's shield cells take more than one bullet to destroy and if left damaged, they will slowly regenerate back to full strength. But anyway, on to the question.

Is there a good or effective way to record the sounds from the Atari version? I do have the Stella emulator and tried to record sounds from it with Audacity. However, either the audio wouldn't be detected or the playback is just steady popping noise, regardless of my record/playback settings. Is there anything else that can be used to record Atari sounds instead?

Stella uses SDL for its sound support. At one point there was an environment variable for SDL that would redirect sound into an external file. You'd have to look at the SDL website for more info (libsdl.org). Also, it might only be supported in Linux.

• 2 weeks later...
Whenever I use Audacity I have to run a cable from the headphone jack to the microphone jack on my computer. Crude, but it's better than nothing.

I've tried that too but all I get is a static-like popping sound and it won't detect the audio from Stella at all. There's just a couple Yars sounds I need. The fade-in hum that the Qotile makes and the steady hum from the score screen. I'd appreciate it if someone recorded them for me or know where to find sounds similar to them.

:D