IGNORED

Sony Stopping the 60 gig=stupid idea

swlovinist

I want to start off by saying that I like Sony and own several of their systems(PS1, PS2, PSP). I just wanted to say how retarded Sony is for trying to push the 40 Gig model that is not backwards compatible with any of the PS2 games. Is there any way Sony will bring back the 60 GIG(Or something like it?) How retarded does the marketing team have to be to not include the obvious in the future:

1. The 60 gig is the most popular due to being almost 100 percent BC

2. Now that the force feedback can come back, Sony make it so

3. Is it too much to ask for a frigging PS2 memory card slot on my new system?

Nearly a year and a half after launch and we have been given 4 different models, two have been discont, and only 1 can play PS2 games still. We still dont have force feedback. Sony, has been a genius with the PS2, but the direction with the PS3 has just been retarded...

I certainly don't miss rumble controllers. I'm glad to not have to hold a vibrator while I'm trying to play a video game. I'm actually depressed they're bringing it back.

Ironically, the only type of controller I've ever wanted this feature on is light guns, and they never have it added.

As for the rest, yes, Sony is shooting themselves in the foot. Removing backwards compatibility only encourages people to stick with their PS2s and not upgrade to a PS3. Not including a PS2 memory card slot while including CF, SD card, and Pro Duo slots was insanely stupid as well.

Their overall strategy seems to be a deliberate attempt to fail. The PS3 was clearly not ready to launch when it did. They should have stuck to their 2007 launch plan instead of forcing it out the door in 2006. And what did they accomplish by pushing it out the door a year early? Nothing. Last year was squandered.

Back to memory cards, you can buy a $15-$20 adapter which allows you to transfer saves to the hard drive. I think one of the firmware updates a while back even allows saves on the PS3 hard drive to be transferred back to the card (which was not a function initially supported).

Dude, you're only about six months late with this. The 60GB model has been gone for a while now.

It's been gone so long, in fact, that we now have pretty conclusive proof that their strategy worked. PS3 sales are up worldwide. In fact, the system is probably going to overtake the Xbox 360 in global installed base this year. (They're behind in the US, but way ahead in both Japan and Europe.)

It's nowhere near the Wii, of course, but one step at a time. You don't go from last to first without passing the guys in the middle.

I've always said backward compatibility is overrated. I just don't think most people spend $300 or $400 on a brand new system just to play their old games that they can play anyway. Everybody and his brother has a PS2 at this point, so nobody's not going to have the ability to play those games if they want to. The market reaction to the 40GB model has borne that out.

Heck, even MS has said they're no longer concentrating on backward compatibility with the 360. And they've only got about 75% of their old games working at this point, with some pretty major omissions. It's just not a selling point for most people.

That said, I have a 60GB and I will go to my grave with it. I *do* care about backward compatibility. But I don't make the mistake of thinking my hardcore gamer-ness translates to everybody else in the country.

I bought mine in January of last year. The 60gig model. Very little to hope for back then.

But now..........

I'm happy with it and its my favorite system. I play all my PS2 and PS1 games, memory cards always have transferred back and forth without an issue since launch (with the official Sony adapter) and I'm having a blast right now with it and my 1080p its hooked up to. (DVD upscaling is a nice touch too). It takes my USB external 250G drive. I transfer PS1 games to my PSP with it. I love the upgrades to the unit that Sony has been putting out, as I mentioned DVD upscaling above, it just simply is starting to kick ass.

I have joined the dark side and I'm am thus far excited for the future.

:evil:

I never really bothered with BC. I'd much rather play games on their host system (I still have an original Playstation as well as PS2 +3).

It's a brilliant system, the new games are great, the Playstation Network store has some wonderful stuff and the Blu-ray player is damn fine.

I'm really glad I bought the 40Gb model. It's just a better PS3. It's cooler and much quieter than any previous model.

Bad idea for the handful or less consumers that prefer to only own one (1) game console. I need to wonder what is such a big whoop about backward-compatability in the first place?

Some people may want to get a rid older systems for space or the system they have might some problems. The people may have problems with the older system may not want to put some many in repairs for a system that could be 5 years old.

The other big whoop with backwards compatability is caused by the media. Some of the reporters don't have a clue though like the writer for time magazine claiming the Ps 2 is the first system to have backward compatability. :ponder:

I remember the local media making it a bid deal that Nintendo didn't the Super Nintendo backwards compatable back when the SNES was launched. I understood why the local media made a big deal out of it. The Nes toaster has a bad rep that it deserved. They liked the fact Sega had SMS converter.

I think the media looks at what system give the consumber the most value in buying the product based what they already have. Some people of the media hyped the crap out that feature like time magazine did.

Some game consoles were flowed in design or poorly made. The internet made it easier for people to know what systems have a difficult time to last for a while although some people may not be truthful if theirt system actually works. There are Consumers that like the games, but not the durability of the system. Those people would dump the system in a heart beat for a game console that plays the same games, but doesn't the issues.

Edited by 8th lutz

I'm being to think we are seeing the end of backwards compatibility across the board eventually for all consoles. The console makers rather have us pay to download previous gen games then worry about making their new console backwards compatible.

Good point, which is pretty sad. It was nice while it lasted!!

..Al

I guess I would not really care about getting a PS3 40 gig, but here is my dilema:

1. The PS2 still strongly being supported with new budget games that are worth getting and playing

2. The PS2 games look bad on an HDTV, with them being upscaled on the PS3 this solves some things.

3. Software for the PS3 is still pretty light, I am still playing more PS2 stuff more than going to my friends house and playing on his system.

I want my PS3 to be the all in one machine(like sony marketed it as). I want to use it as my blue ray, PS1, PS2, and PS3. Using a HDTV as a TV, I would like a PS3 with HDMI to play all my games. Am I in the minority? Maybe so but here is something to consider:

Sony not caring about 41 million American PS2 owners playing their games on an upgraded system is retarded.

Backwards compatibility is an issue still in my opinion.

The 360 got alot of crap about not fully having it, and only dodged the bullet by stopping all support and games on thier previous system. They have worked since then to have a majority of the main games BC. They would have not worked so hard on this issue if it was not a big deal. I am sure they got alot of feedback on the matter. I sure as hell was mad, and at this point dont have my Xbox hooked up anymore due to the fact that I can use my 360 for most games.

The Wii is the best on being Backwards compatible as it should be.

Really it comes down to the PS3 being kind of hypocritical...Sony has made an "all in one" machine that can play music, play DVDs, Blu Ray, surf the net, and even showcase pics from memory cards.

but you cant play your PS2 games on the dam thing, you know because that would not make any sense.

That my friend is stupid.

I'm being to think we are seeing the end of backwards compatibility across the board eventually for all consoles. The console makers rather have us pay to download previous gen games then worry about making their new console backwards compatible.

Good point, which is pretty sad. It was nice while it lasted!!

..Al

Though it couldn't possibly continue. Dogged support for legacy versions is what makes Windows the nightmare it is. I'd rather have my consoles running nicely, just doing the job they were designed for.

I guess I would not really care about getting a PS3 40 gig, but here is my dilema:

1. The PS2 still strongly being supported with new budget games that are worth getting and playing

2. The PS2 games look bad on an HDTV, with them being upscaled on the PS3 this solves some things.

3. Software for the PS3 is still pretty light, I am still playing more PS2 stuff more than going to my friends house and playing on his system.

I want my PS3 to be the all in one machine(like sony marketed it as). I want to use it as my blue ray, PS1, PS2, and PS3. Using a HDTV as a TV, I would like a PS3 with HDMI to play all my games. Am I in the minority? Maybe so but here is something to consider:

Sony not caring about 41 million American PS2 owners playing their games on an upgraded system is retarded.

Backwards compatibility is an issue still in my opinion.

The 360 got alot of crap about not fully having it, and only dodged the bullet by stopping all support and games on thier previous system. They have worked since then to have a majority of the main games BC. They would have not worked so hard on this issue if it was not a big deal. I am sure they got alot of feedback on the matter. I sure as hell was mad, and at this point dont have my Xbox hooked up anymore due to the fact that I can use my 360 for most games.

The Wii is the best on being Backwards compatible as it should be.

Really it comes down to the PS3 being kind of hypocritical...Sony has made an "all in one" machine that can play music, play DVDs, Blu Ray, surf the net, and even showcase pics from memory cards.

but you cant play your PS2 games on the dam thing, you know because that would not make any sense.

That my friend is stupid.

I agree with most of this. i own a 40gig PS3, and to be honest we use our slimlime ps2 3 times as often simply for the games. There are some decent ps3 titles, but to be honest I could of waited another year before buying my ps3 until more games were out, especially as I don't have HDTV or give a toss about blueRay films. Don't regret the purchase as it's a great machine but it would have made so much more sense to have spot on BC.

I hope that it will eventually be released as a free upgrade online after all the dust has settled, but am probably being overly optimistic.

Best,

Chris

Well, I'm not going to hide the fact that I don't like Sony (I'm certainly not a Microsoft or Nintendo fan for that matter). The only Sony item I own is my PS2 which I grudgingly purchased in August so I could play online with some friends that have them.

Anyway, I was considering a PS3 because of the backwards compatibility but now I'm leaning towards the 360 since my brother has one... but I want to make sure if I buy one of those it has the new CPU. Given the current situation I think I'll just wait.

Stripping down the PS3 was dumb IMHO.

BTW, in spite of my dislike for Sony I do like my PS2. The proprietary memory cards and such annoy me (typical Sony price gouging) but it's a lot of fun and i now have 20 or so games.