IGNORED

no Cuttle Cart or Keypads? Why?

I finally got around to modding my FB2 with a cart slot and rca jacks. (thanks kokovec!)

I am bummed to learn that I can't use my CC2 or any games with keypads. Why? I searched the forums and I read something about carts with RAM being unsupported (low voltage prob?) Is that why the CC2 won't work? Can it be hacked around?

And could keypad support somehow be added, or is a limitation way down in the ASIC?

Thanks.

PP

Just theorizing here based on some very vague knowledge of the FB2...

Does the FB2 supply 3.3v power to the cartridge port? The CC might need 5v.

Do none of the buttons work at all? The way I'm reading the schematic, the 3,6,9,# column appears to use all digital I/O: I'd expect at least those buttons to work.

I can imagine a way that the paddle inputs that are used by the other two columns aren't properly detecting a keypress. I remember hearing that the FB2 only supplies 3.3v at the controller port instead of 5v. Part of the keyboard controller uses the paddle inputs. If the caps are charging through the 4700 ohm resistors in the controller at a rate that doesn't reach a logic 1 fast enough to get there before the software's timing loop stops checking for a logic 1 to be reached...

I think I saw a hack somewhere that fed 5v to the controller port so active controllers that need the 5v supply would work. I would expect that to make the keypads work. If I were trying to figure this out definitively, I'd try reducing the value of 4700 ohm resistors inside the paddle controller.

Do none of the buttons work at all? The way I'm reading the schematic, the 3,6,9,# column appears to use all digital I/O: I'd expect at least those buttons to work.

The keypads rely upon the joystick pins being usable for both input and output. I would not be surprised if, on the FB2, they are input-only.

The keypads rely upon the joystick pins being usable for both input and output. I would not be surprised if, on the FB2, they are input-only.

The FB2's ports definitely can output data. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to dump the binaries so easily :D

The FB2's ports definitely can output data. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to dump the binaries so easily :D

Even if the joystick ports couldn't output data, the paddle-dump circuit could still have been used for that purpose. With the right sort of circuitry, it could probably have even managed a decent baud rate when doing so.

Even if the joystick ports couldn't output data, the paddle-dump circuit could still have been used for that purpose. With the right sort of circuitry, it could probably have even managed a decent baud rate when doing so.

Maybe, but if it requires circuitry, the "so easily" qualifier is still valid... All I needed was two wires.

My source code had the capability to output 115200 bps (though it was more reliable at 38400, so that was what was compiled into the binary.)

• 2 months later...