IGNORED

Ebay lowering insertion fees, and raising final value fees!

homerwannabee

This is a bunch of garbage. This is going to hurt the seller who starts off low and let the market decide what the value is. And it is going to reward the seller who tries to rip people off by trying to charge rip off prices. Why is Ebay trying to drive out the good people and trying to entice to people looking to make a quick buck of people's ignorance. I am disgusted with this new policy. :x

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/01/29/ebay.fees.ap/index.html

Edited by homerwannabee

Holy crap, they are raising final value fees for items under $25 to 8.75% That means for a $20 item, eBay will get $1.75. If the buyer pays via PayPal, that's another $1 or so, plus the insertion fee. This is going to make it even harder for people to sell inexpensive items. Nice.

..Al

This is going to make it even harder for people to smell inexpensive items. Nice.

..Al

Yeah, but you gotta ask yourself: how many people "smell" inexpensive items anyway???

All kidding aside though, this yet another money grab aimed at driving out small/independent regular joe sellers who just want to sell some cheap trinket they found. And, ironically, this is what eBay was founded on. Now it's all powersellers and proffesional folk... yuk!

This is going to make it even harder for people to smell inexpensive items. Nice.

..Al

Yeah, but you gotta ask yourself: how many people "smell" inexpensive items anyway???

All kidding aside though, this yet another money grab aimed at driving out small/independent regular joe sellers who just want to sell some cheap trinket they found. And, ironically, this is what eBay was founded on. Now it's all powersellers and proffesional folk... yuk!

Not, only that I just found out they are also giving powersellers a 15% discount of final value fees. Your right, it is becomming more and more about the power seller. Especially the ones who charge outragous prices.

It's going to get even crazier. Check out this message that eBay just sent me:

Seller Update: Fees, Rewards & Standards

eBay buyers want value and selection from sellers they can trust--and good sellers deserve rewards for delivering great customer service. That's why we're making a number of important changes that may affect you:

1. Reduced Listing Fees

You asked, we listened. We're reducing Insertion Fees and adjusting Final Value Fees to lower your up-front cost to sell on eBay. You wanted free Gallery, now you've got it--plus more feature discounts.

* Lower Insertion Fees

* Making Gallery free

* Lower fees for Gallery Plus, Picture Pack, and Feature Plus

2. Rewards for great sellers

There will be discounts and incentives for those who satisfy customers best. Who decides who gets rewarded? Customers do, by giving sellers high Detailed Seller Ratings (DSRs).

* More search exposure through Best Match

* Fee discounts for PowerSellers

* Increased protection for PowerSellers

3. Feedback Changes

Significant changes coming soon will increase buyer confidence and showcase good sellers.

* Buyers will only be able to receive positive Feedback.

* Positive repeat customer Feedback will count and Feedback more than 12 months old won't.

* Negative and neutral Feedback left by the buyer will be removed for transactions in which a buyer doesn't respond to the Unpaid Item (UPI) or if the member is suspended.

For more details on how these changes may affect you, attend a special Seller Webinar at 10:00 a.m. this Friday, February 1. You may also see announcements from eBay executives on the Announcement Board.

3. Feedback Changes

Significant changes coming soon will increase buyer confidence and showcase good sellers.

* Positive repeat customer Feedback will count and Feedback more than 12 months old won't.

* Negative and neutral Feedback left by the buyer will be removed for transactions in which a buyer doesn't respond to the Unpaid Item (UPI) or if the member is suspended.

:-o

Wow.

..Al

It's going to get even crazier. Check out this message that eBay just sent me:

Seller Update: Fees, Rewards & Standards

eBay buyers want value and selection from sellers they can trust--and good sellers deserve rewards for delivering great customer service. That's why we're making a number of important changes that may affect you:

1. Reduced Listing Fees

You asked, we listened. We're reducing Insertion Fees and adjusting Final Value Fees to lower your up-front cost to sell on eBay. You wanted free Gallery, now you've got it--plus more feature discounts.

* Lower Insertion Fees

* Making Gallery free

* Lower fees for Gallery Plus, Picture Pack, and Feature Plus

2. Rewards for great sellers

There will be discounts and incentives for those who satisfy customers best. Who decides who gets rewarded? Customers do, by giving sellers high Detailed Seller Ratings (DSRs).

* More search exposure through Best Match

* Fee discounts for PowerSellers

* Increased protection for PowerSellers

3. Feedback Changes

For more details on how these changes may affect you, attend a special Seller Webinar at 10:00 a.m. this Friday, February 1. You may also see announcements from eBay executives on the Announcement Board.

Well this is a wonderful plan!!!! So no matter what the buyer does! You can't negative them??? What the fuck is wrong with ebay? Are they that corrupt they need the business of scumbag scamming buyers?? I just can't wait to see how they multiply now with these new rules in affect.

More details here:

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200801.shtml#2008-01-29061132

"Sellers may only leave positive feedback for buyers (at the seller's option).

I know this is a huge change, but we're also putting into place protections that sellers have wanted for years. In addition to holding buyers accountable via non-public seller reporting tools, such as Unpaid Item reports, we are planning a number of other Seller Protections against inaccurate feedback:

* We will remove, not just de-score, negative and neutral feedback when a buyer doesn't respond to the Unpaid Item process

* We will remove all negative and neutral feedback and comments when a buyer (or seller) is suspended. We will also do this retroactively – which means any negatives and neutrals you've received from members we've ever suspended will be removed.

* For sellers with an established track record, we'll prevent negative and neutral feedback within 3 days of listing end to promote communication.

* We're going to reduce the number of days a member can leave feedback from 90 to 60 days.

* We'll increase block bidder list capacity from 1,000 to 5,000 user IDs.

* We'll increase our monitoring, and take action based on seller reports of buyers behaving very badly.

* Feedback percentage will be based on the last 12 months, although the total count remains lifetime. This means that any negative or neutral feedback left for you more than 12 months ago will no longer affect your percent positive."

..Al

Man, talk about trying to fix a problem (retaliatory feedback) the wrong way.

..Al

True, but you can thank the dishonest sellers for that. If there weren't so many that used feedback as a bargaining chip there would be no need for this type of fix. I know many of you are looking from a sellers perspective, but the current system does nothing to truly inform a buyer who their dealing with. There are plenty of skanks out there with 99.9% feeback only because they withheld feedback, and the buyer was afraid to give honest feedback for fear of a retaliatory neg.

Why they couldn't institute a system where feedback only showed after both parties gave feedback I'll never understand.

Expanded seller protection from PayPal beginning February 2008

* Protection for any shipping address, not just a confirmed address

* Unlimited annual coverage, not just $5,000 per year

* Global coverage, extended to 190 countries around the world

I like this part of the announcement. Time to ramp up and become a Powerseller...

I'd love to take all the Confirmed Address Only verbiage out of my ads, and open things up to outside the U.S. without chewing on my fingernails.

..Al

True, but you can thank the dishonest sellers for that. If there weren't so many that used feedback as a bargaining chip there would be no need for this type of fix. I know many of you are looking from a sellers perspective, but the current system does nothing to truly inform a buyer who their dealing with. There are plenty of skanks out there with 99.9% feeback only because they withheld feedback, and the buyer was afraid to give honest feedback for fear of a retaliatory neg.

Why they couldn't institute a system where feedback only showed after both parties gave feedback I'll never understand.

Your views are always one sided.........if u sold as much as i do you would know some of the things buyers try to pull. That is why i still refuse to leave feedback until the buyer leaves feedback for me. I do understand its more reasurring to a buyer when feedback has been left before u even get your item, BUT there are a lot of scamming buyers out there that think since feedback has been left for them .........thats there great oppurtunity to blackmail for a refund for an item they get but claiming they haven't. You must be very naive. I don't know how else to understand how u are badgering sellers......yes there are bad sellers too. I have one negative feedback that stuck on my account and that was as a buyer. I have had several instances where i got other negatives but the few times that had happened it was from retalitory feedback ....since i left them honest neutrals and negatvies, and all those people i have dealt with have had many many negatives........with a really bad reputation. You can view the sellers feedback that left me my negative and see that they have multiple negatives. I am sorry if my methods of waiting until the transaction is fully complete (the seller letting me know they got their package by email or by leaving me feedback doesn't appeal to you, but that is the way i choose to handle things as controller of my account. I will say i do somewhat agree with what u siad about the feedback not being visible until both people have left their feedback .....that would be a good idea. I do like to be honest on my feedback and i have held back on leaving some bad feedback for some transactions in fear of retalitory feedback myself. I will tell you an example right now........i recently bought a CIB game from a seller pykupmn and on a wet rainy day i get a bubble mailer in the mail open it up and its the CIB game i ordered from the seller all smooshed and damp from the rain. :x I do business both ways so i understand buyer and seller points of view. I have had some bad experience and good experiences with both ends. Just because a seller doesn't agree with your feedback beliefs doesn't make him/her a skank ........the world doesn't revolve around you i am sorry to say.

Shawn

Edited by Atarimania75

That is why i still refuse to leave feedback until the buyer leaves feedback for me.

I would think the proper approach would be to require that any seller wishing to neg a buyer must provide eBay with proof of malfeasance on the part of the buyer, but a seller with such proof (e.g. bounced check, chargeback, etc.) would be allowed to change a previously-given positive.

In that way, a seller could safely give an immediate positive to a buyer who paid quickly but would still have recourse if the buyer's "payment" wasn't.

..Al

Your views are always one sided.........if u sold as much as i do you would know some of the things buyers try to pull. That is why i still refuse to leave feedback until the buyer leaves feedback for me. I do understand its more reasurring to a buyer when feedback has been left before u even get your item, BUT there are a lot of scamming buyers out there that think since feedback has been left for them .........thats there great oppurtunity to blackmail for a refund for an item they get but claiming they haven't. You must be very naive. I don't know how else to understand how u are badgering sellers......yes there are bad sellers too. I have one negative feedback that stuck on my account and that was as a buyer. I have had several instances where i got other negatives but the few times that had happened it was from retalitory feedback ....since i left them honest neutrals and negatvies, and all those people i have dealt with have had many many negatives........with a really bad reputation. You can view the sellers feedback that left me my negative and see that they have multiple negatives. I am sorry if my methods of waiting until the transaction is fully complete (the seller letting me know they got their package by email or by leaving me feedback doesn't appeal to you, but that is the way i choose to handle things as controller of my account. I will say i do somewhat agree with what u siad about the feedback not being visible until both people have left their feedback .....that would be a good idea. I do like to be honest on my feedback and i have held back on leaving some bad feedback for some transactions in fear of retalitory feedback myself. I will tell you an example right now........i recently bought a CIB game from a seller pkymun and on a wet rainy day i get a bubble mailer in the mail open it up and its the CIB game i ordered from the seller all smooshed and damp from the rain. :x I do business both ways so i understand buyer and seller points of view. I have had some bad experience and good experiences with both ends. Just because a seller doesn't agree with your feedback beliefs doesn't make him/her a skank ........the world doesn't revolve around you i am sorry to say.

Shawn

One sided as are yours.

And apparently...it's not only me that finds playing the feedback hostage game unappealing. And how you do business is your choice. Maybe you don't do it out of deception, but way too many sellers do. So many in fact that ebay is doing something about it to protect (and attract) buyers. See, that's the whole problem many sellers forget. No buyers=no $$ for sellers or Ebay. So to protect themselves from that one rare buyer who might give a problem after the fact, sellers started waiting for feedback. What did that do? Pissed off buyers and turned them off of ebay. What would you rather have? More buyers than you know what to do with, albeit with the off chance you might get unfairly negged? Or, have feedback for use as a bargaining chip rather than n appropriate way of thanking a customer for their business, but no customers?

I guess...it doesnt matter. The buyers apparently have spoken up either directly to ebay, or through there just being less of them.

In the end I'm sorry if you take it personally. But the practice of forcing buyers to thank you first for the privilage of being allowed to buy your stuff is goneski.

That is why i still refuse to leave feedback until the buyer leaves feedback for me.

I would think the proper approach would be to require that any seller wishing to neg a buyer must provide eBay with proof of malfeasance on the part of the buyer, but a seller with such proof (e.g. bounced check, chargeback, etc.) would be allowed to change a previously-given positive.

In that way, a seller could safely give an immediate positive to a buyer who paid quickly but would still have recourse if the buyer's "payment" wasn't.

Thats fine if sellers want to do that! In my opinion its up to them! I don't agree that a seller is dishonest just because they choose to wait to leave feedback until the transaction is complete. In my eyes the transaction is NOT complete UNTIL the buyer recieves the item and lets me know in some shape or form. I consider myself very honest and I feel its a very poor statement for Jetset to call sellers dishonest and skanks because they wait to leave feedback til they know the buyer received the package. Its like be only a seller and wondering why the buyer doesn't leave me feedback right after they have payed? Would that be a smart idea to leave feedback for an item you haven't received yet? I think not!

..Al

Your views are always one sided.........if u sold as much as i do you would know some of the things buyers try to pull. That is why i still refuse to leave feedback until the buyer leaves feedback for me. I do understand its more reasurring to a buyer when feedback has been left before u even get your item, BUT there are a lot of scamming buyers out there that think since feedback has been left for them .........thats there great oppurtunity to blackmail for a refund for an item they get but claiming they haven't. You must be very naive. I don't know how else to understand how u are badgering sellers......yes there are bad sellers too. I have one negative feedback that stuck on my account and that was as a buyer. I have had several instances where i got other negatives but the few times that had happened it was from retalitory feedback ....since i left them honest neutrals and negatvies, and all those people i have dealt with have had many many negatives........with a really bad reputation. You can view the sellers feedback that left me my negative and see that they have multiple negatives. I am sorry if my methods of waiting until the transaction is fully complete (the seller letting me know they got their package by email or by leaving me feedback doesn't appeal to you, but that is the way i choose to handle things as controller of my account. I will say i do somewhat agree with what u siad about the feedback not being visible until both people have left their feedback .....that would be a good idea. I do like to be honest on my feedback and i have held back on leaving some bad feedback for some transactions in fear of retalitory feedback myself. I will tell you an example right now........i recently bought a CIB game from a seller pkymun and on a wet rainy day i get a bubble mailer in the mail open it up and its the CIB game i ordered from the seller all smooshed and damp from the rain. :x I do business both ways so i understand buyer and seller points of view. I have had some bad experience and good experiences with both ends. Just because a seller doesn't agree with your feedback beliefs doesn't make him/her a skank ........the world doesn't revolve around you i am sorry to say.

Shawn

One sided as are yours.

And apparently...it's not only me that finds playing the feedback hostage game unappealing. And how you do business is your choice. Maybe you don't do it out of deception, but way too many sellers do. So many in fact that ebay is doing something about it to protect (and attract) buyers. See, that's the whole problem many sellers forget. No buyers=no $$ for sellers or Ebay. So to protect themselves from that one rare buyer who might give a problem after the fact, sellers started waiting for feedback. What did that do? Pissed off buyers and turned them off of ebay. What would you rather have? More buyers than you know what to do with, albeit with the off chance you might get unfairly negged? Or, have feedback for use as a bargaining chip rather than n appropriate way of thanking a customer for their business, but no customers?

I guess...it doesnt matter. The buyers apparently have spoken up either directly to ebay, or through there just being less of them.

In the end I'm sorry if you take it personally. But the practice of forcing buyers to thank you first for the privilage of being allowed to buy your stuff is goneski.

The sellers are the ones who pay eBay fees and also the ones who help eBay increase shareholder wealth. The increase in final value fees will make it very difficult for sellers to make a decent profit as the profit margins are squeezed even more.

Years ago I used to leave positive feedback for my buyers prior to receiveing feedback. I would get buyers all the time who claimed that their items didn't arrive (even when I had tracking) or other BS problems. Once I started waiting to leave feedback most of my problems with buyers seemed to go away. eBay is screwing the sellers over big time with the increased final value fee and the blocking of sellers from leaving nothing but positive feedback. I am sure that we will see buyers getting positive feedback with comments such as scammer, sent a bad check and other negative comments.

eBay is advertising that they will offer upto a 15% discount on fees for PowerSellers. If you read the fine print it becomes obvious that the majority of PowerSellers will not qualify for the 15% as it is based on the detailed feedback rating system that eBay put into effect last year.

Maybe I will be wrong but I feel that eBay has made a huge mistake with these changes. eBay has had incredible success over the last 10+ years but you shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you. eBay is screwing over all of the sellers who pay eBay's fees. There is only so many times that you can keep screwing someone over before they find an alternative.

..Al

Shawn

One sided as are yours.

The sellers are the ones who pay eBay fees and also the ones who help eBay increase shareholder wealth. The increase in final value fees will make it very difficult for sellers to make a decent profit as the profit margins are squeezed even more.

Years ago I used to leave positive feedback for my buyers prior to receiveing feedback. I would get buyers all the time who claimed that their items didn't arrive (even when I had tracking) or other BS problems. Once I started waiting to leave feedback most of my problems with buyers seemed to go away. eBay is screwing the sellers over big time with the increased final value fee and the blocking of sellers from leaving nothing but positive feedback. I am sure that we will see buyers getting positive feedback with comments such as scammer, sent a bad check and other negative comments.

eBay is advertising that they will offer upto a 15% discount on fees for PowerSellers. If you read the fine print it becomes obvious that the majority of PowerSellers will not qualify for the 15% as it is based on the detailed feedback rating system that eBay put into effect last year.

Maybe I will be wrong but I feel that eBay has made a huge mistake with these changes. eBay has had incredible success over the last 10+ years but you shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you. eBay is screwing over all of the sellers who pay eBay's fees. There is only so many times that you can keep screwing someone over before they find an alternative.

Well said! Thats why I started waiting to leave feedback as well..........I have had less problems with buyers and less headaches. I don't really care if it cuts down my sales because i wait to leave feedback I would rather less sales and a better percantage of pleasant transactions.

I think this is going to destroy eBay's feedback system. Sellers simply won't leave feedback.

What would be the problem with allowing sellers to leave negative feedback when they can demonstrate malfeasance on the part of a buyer, and allow such feedback to be left even after positive feedback had been left?

You should take a look at eBay's feedback forum.

I think this is going to destroy eBay's feedback system. Sellers simply won't leave feedback.

..Al

Isn't that what we're going towards now? When sellers refuse to leave feedback first, buyers follow suit. It's not a perfect fix certainly, but at least it's something.

You should take a look at eBay's feedback forum.

..Al

Isn't that what we're going towards now? When sellers refuse to leave feedback first, buyers follow suit. It's not a perfect fix certainly, but at least it's something.

What about buyers holding feedback hostage??? You ever look at it that way? They wait until sellers leave feedback and then decide they are going to trying and pull shit like pretend they didn't get the item! U can look at it both ways. The seller is the one who has more to worry about since the seller most likely has already shipped the product........and the buyer has the product in hand. So why do buyers hold feedback hostage? My guess would most likely be to pull a scam. What other reason would they have to hold feedback? Is the item going to self destruct once they leave there feedback for the seller? If the buyer is leaving honest feedback for the seller do you think all the sudden the seller is going to turn around and leave a negatvie to the buyer once they have gotten their money and agreed to ship. The only reason i can think buyers would hold feedback could be if they are late payers and afraid the seller may leave according feedback! Just my thoughts on the subject!

..Al

Shawn

One sided as are yours.

For the moment, this policy wont last. Jerk customers are why we are selling overseas now more and more and not so much on ebay. I'll take less just not to have to play the dishonest buyer game. How the heck am I supposed to know who is a bad buyer now and if I want to sell to them. Buyer negs got rid of the riff raff on ebay and I can assure you it will return. The morons at ebay just keep on doing things to decrease thier business.