IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 21: Double Dragon

Ze_ro

New Score: 43,200!

I can't do the "sit and wait" strategy because I run out of time on the 2nd mission. I need to shave some time off of Mission 2. I killed, what I thought was, the last guy on the 2nd mission. I had 1 second left...then another guy came out. I ran out of time and lost a life. Lucky I had 1 life left. I finished him off and went on to Mission 3 and got to the fat guy with the barrel.

I've only got one game in me each night because it's kind of a hand cramper. I'll try again tomorrow. :)

post-9712-1201917358_thumb.jpg

Wow, I tried to play this game before reading any of the tips. Seems insanly difficult. The first bad guy whooped my butt easily. If you get in their range then its all over. I think a huge improvement to this game would be for the bad guys to have a slight pause between attacks just so you can catch your breath and get clear (maybe even get a shot in yourself).

Anyway the tips and video helped a bunch. Don't think I would've broke a few thousand otherwise.

My first submission: 26,950

post-10944-1201920716_thumb.jpg

Still with the tips I run out of time on Mission #2. How many green-ish men appear after you're done with the big guys? I finish off the first two and have got three more knife throwing ones beaten too, but then time is out.

Thanks for the greetings guys! I felt it was time for me to give something back to the site here, I've got lots of Atari time under my belt back in the day,(that amazingly some of that skill I still retain) it's only right I share what I learned those days.

I hit another higher score tonight recording a walk thru of the game to upload to YouTube... Somebody may not be exactly happy about that either... :-o :-o :-o :D

Check it out:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=117307

Edited by Bentley Bear!

Wow, I tried to play this game before reading any of the tips. Seems insanly difficult. The first bad guy whooped my butt easily. If you get in their range then its all over. I think a huge improvement to this game would be for the bad guys to have a slight pause between attacks just so you can catch your breath and get clear (maybe even get a shot in yourself).

Anyway the tips and video helped a bunch. Don't think I would've broke a few thousand otherwise.

My first submission: 26,950

post-10944-1201920716_thumb.jpg

Still with the tips I run out of time on Mission #2. How many green-ish men appear after you're done with the big guys? I finish off the first two and have got three more knife throwing ones beaten too, but then time is out.

The only way I can see to get through mission 2 is to run up to the enemies. You can't wait for them to come to you because they move so freakin' slow. You just have to kick their butts as quickly as possible.

I didn't count the number of baddies on the last screen of mission 2. I'd guess there are 5...maybe even a 6th. I'll have to check it out when I play today. My hand is rested up and ready to go.

Thanks for the greetings guys! I felt it was time for me to give something back to the site here, I've got lots of Atari time under my belt back in the day,(that amazingly some of that skill I still retain) it's only right I share what I learned those days.

I hit another higher score tonight recording a walk thru of the game to upload to YouTube... Somebody may not be exactly happy about that either... :-o :-o :-o :D

Check it out:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=117307

Saw the whole video. I have to say I am disappointed in the ending. You did all that work just to find out that you were fighting for one of the hooker girls.

Wow. :-o

Man... you own that game.

I usually don't watch complete walkthroughs, but that was impressive. Plus, I enjoyed watching someone kick the crap out of this game. :thumbsup:

Now that revenge has been taken upon it, I no longer feel the need to play it myself. :D

Haha thanks man! Glad I could give you guys some payback somehow. :D

:o

Nice performance Bentley! Thanks for sharing that!

I retract my earlier comments about not using the elbows... if you can pull it off they work great!

No problem dewd, glad I could finally show you guys this, I figured some of you would enjoy it. :cool: Indeed, the elbow smash is the key to owning in this version of Double Dragon.

Since, I don't see myself beating this score, this is probably my last submission for the week.

My strategy was to not let the enemies kill me. :D

Seriously.

My plan was to use my lives to run out of time on Missions 2, 3a, and 3b. It took many a game, but I finally achieved this. I do not under any circumstances see myself finishing these levels in the alloted amount of time, so this is pretty much the best I can do.

post-17553-1202054591_thumb.png

Alright, my final score before the week ends... I did this through z26 and tried to do a "print screen" capture but that unfortunately doesn't work too well I've found in the past, so I got my digital camera out and took a pic of the monitor.

I dunno guys, you think I should send this in to Twin Galaxies? I figure D. Yancey may not be too happy about it... :cool: :D

post-14189-1202187266_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bentley Bear!

Alright, my final score before the week ends... I did this through z26 and tried to do a "print screen" capture but that unfortunately doesn't work too well I've found in the past, so I got my digital camera out and took a pic of the monitor.

I dunno guys, you think I should send this in to Twin Galaxies? I figure D. Yancey may not be too happy about it... :cool: :D

Nice score!

Last I heard Twin Galaxies will only accept a VHS recording, however.

Nice score!

Ouch... Who the heck still owns or uses a VHS?!?! :-o Man... Well that sucks. Maybe I can send them a DVD or perhaps just a CD of avi footage like I did with the walkthru? :ponder:

This will be a tough one for me to beat. I used the exact same strategy as aftermac mentioned. ;-)

Looks like we died on the same screen too!

post-10944-1202173771_thumb.jpg

That's too funny that we died at the same place... makes sense though, I guess. :D

It's entirely possible that I could improve my score by a couple hundred points, by using kicks where I used a few punches, but it's completely NOT worth the effort at this point.

Great Score!! I still hate this game but it's interesting to see how many points the other guys can score in a game i completely suck at! :D

Btw., you can take screenshots in z26 by pressing the "´"-key (right to the "?"-key).

Great Score!! I still hate this game but it's interesting to see how many points the other guys can score in a game i completely suck at! :D

Btw., you can take screenshots in z26 by pressing the "´"-key (right to the "?"-key).

Thanks again dewd, for the comments and tip! :D I personally perfer z26 over Stella, but unfortunately z26 doesn't run in a windowed mode to my knowledge...(unless I'm wrong and need to go RTFM...) So I had to record the DD walkthru in Stella, but I prefer to game in z26, now I won't have to bust out the camera for screenshot! :cool:

You can run z26 in a windowed mode when you use the great x26 frontend. ;)

Ahhh once again, many thanks Impaler! I've been using Z-Launch for some time for z26, but it was quite due for a replacement as it would error out when I launched games... x26 is pretty nice. :cool:

Nice score!

Ouch... Who the heck still owns or uses a VHS?!?! :-o Man... Well that sucks. Maybe I can send them a DVD or perhaps just a CD of avi footage like I did with the walkthru? :ponder:

Actually, I own like 6 VCR's... :ponder:

Since you can usually pick them up for a few dollars at garage sales, they make for cheap RF to composite adapters and vice-versa. I have my 2600 connected to the composite input of my 20" Dell LCD monitor like this. :)

Well, that's the end of this weeks installment of the High Score Club! I almost didn't include this game, as it's famous for being an awful port... but I always hoped there were enough tricks to learn in this game that you could tame it and manage to actually PLAY the damn thing. Once again, the High Score Club managed to find those tricks :) Good job guys, I'm impressed that so many of you took up the challenge (I almost considered giving out extra points to everyone this week as an incentive to get more players!).

Congratulations on actually beating the game Bentley! Very impressive! Though honestly, it looked very repetitive and not terribly fun to play :/

--Zero