IGNORED

Can't change resolution on my Mega STe

Gunstar

Here's what I have; a 4MB Mega STe with TOS 2.5, and an SC1224 color monitor. My computer will boot to the desktop in low resolution, but when I go to the 'set preferances' under the OPTION menu, and select to switch to medium res, I get 2 bombs when the system attempts to change resolution and reboot the desktop. According to a TOS guide, the 2 bomb code is: Bus error - occurs when a program tries to access a non-existant location in memory. very common.

I also know that the root directory needs the desktop.inf file for 1.0-1.4~, and newdesk.inf for 2.x +. At least to my knowledge, I've tried both, in the root and in the auto folder with no luck. Could it be that the newdesk.inf file is corrupted? If so, how can I correct it or replace it with a non-corrupted version? Or is it something totally different? I was using Neodesk 3, and this problem started, I thought maybe it was something to do with Neodesk, and dumped it all out of my system, but it still does it with GEM.

It's all very strange to me, maybe I just need someone to post a correct startup disk image for me that I can replace with the same files on my HD now? Am I way off and it's a hardware problem?

:?

I think Christos is on to something. How about booting from a blank floppy (holding alternate at boot) and skipping the HD completely. Make sure the floppy is not a bootsector game, or have an auto folder or accessories. Then just try switching the resolution from the desktop on that clean boot.

If it still crashes you might have a chip loose, or possibly a worse hardware problem.

The Alternate key+blank disk procedure worked, it switched over to medium res. without a problem. But what do I get rid of on my C: partition so it works when booting from HD? Do I just get rid of the newdesk.inf file and will that just boot up the standard A&B drive desktop like with the blank disk? Are there other files I need to remove (besides acc.)?

O.K., I tried copying the new, newdesk.inf I created from the blank-floppy bootup, and when I boot from the HD, it did start up in medium resolution, but when I tried to go back to low res, I got the same system crash with the 2 bombs. So, I can boot from floppy, change to whatever res I want, save the newdesk.inf file, reboot with HD, drag the new .inf file over to the C: drive, then reboot again and change resolutions that way. But once I try changing resolution after booting with the HD, I get the 2 bombs as before.

I licked the problem. With the new newdesk.inf file and all acc. (except xcontrol.acc)and auto folder programs removed I can switch resolutions again. Thank's for the help. Now, I just need to figure out which file that I removed is the culprit. The accessories I had were M-disk ramdisk handler&disk formatter, and the Universal item selector accessories, then I had that 100 program folders program to correct the old over-folder-limit-in-window bug (is that still needed with TOS 2.5?) and that was all for autoload and acc. files. My first guess would be that universal item selector, but I thought I had tried removing it before and it didn't make a difference.

I've realized, in redoing and resaving the desktop as I like it to start, that I can't change between resolutions while in 16Mhz mode (with or without cache); is this normal? I never had the manuals/books for my Mega STE, so everything I know is from my 1040ST.

You should upgrade to TOS 2.6! ;)

I should and I want too, but the chips are about $40 EACH, so until I can find those chips for about $10 I'll be sticking with 2.5.

Edited by Gunstar

Hi,

Yea, any desktop issues with missing icons or reboots means a corrupt .inf file. Keep a backup in another folder so when/if it happens you can overwrite it.

Fuji-Man

Here's what I have; a 4MB Mega STe with TOS 2.5, and an SC1224 color monitor. My computer will boot to the desktop in low resolution, but when I go to the 'set preferances' under the OPTION menu, and select to switch to medium res, I get 2 bombs when the system attempts to change resolution and reboot the desktop. According to a TOS guide, the 2 bomb code is: Bus error - occurs when a program tries to access a non-existant location in memory. very common.

I also know that the root directory needs the desktop.inf file for 1.0-1.4~, and newdesk.inf for 2.x +. At least to my knowledge, I've tried both, in the root and in the auto folder with no luck. Could it be that the newdesk.inf file is corrupted? If so, how can I correct it or replace it with a non-corrupted version? Or is it something totally different? I was using Neodesk 3, and this problem started, I thought maybe it was something to do with Neodesk, and dumped it all out of my system, but it still does it with GEM.

It's all very strange to me, maybe I just need someone to post a correct startup disk image for me that I can replace with the same files on my HD now? Am I way off and it's a hardware problem?

:?

I have a brand new set for $20 you can have. Add $5 S/H.

Very easy upgrade too, just swap chips...

O.k., I'll PM you. Thanks.

By the way, what actually is the benefit of 2.06 over 2.05? What needed fixing? Is it more compatible with older programs? More stable?

Edited by Gunstar