IGNORED

arcade feel joystick + buttons for computer?

Elvis8Atari

I don't want to spend a lot of money buying an actual arcade machine. I would like to be able to play arcade games on mame but have the same feel as a real machine.

Does someone make perhaps a panel that has a joystick with buttons (and maybe trackball) that would connect to a computer with usb. That would work with mame?

Does such a thing exist?

Something like this -

http://www.microproseonline.com/gameline.htm

Curt

I don't want to spend a lot of money buying an actual arcade machine. I would like to be able to play arcade games on mame but have the same feel as a real machine.

Does someone make perhaps a panel that has a joystick with buttons (and maybe trackball) that would connect to a computer with usb. That would work with mame?

Does such a thing exist?

That's an odd little thing! Is it just me, or does that look like the unholy offspring of an X-box controller and an Atari joystick? Have you tried this one Curt? Wait, I see it's not available yet.

MPPC-AP01.jpg

Something like this -

http://www.microproseonline.com/gameline.htm

Curt

Does such a thing exist?

Edited by SRGilbert

I like that - unholy offspring...

Yes I have tried it and if you don't have the room for an arcade cabinet and don't want a 20lb piece of controller hardware on your desktop like X-Arcade, this is definitely going to be a controller you're gonna want, I especially love playing Missile Command and Liberator with a trackball controller vs a Mouse or YIKES- a keyboard ;-)

Also, for playing Visual Pinball... those side buttons - Niiiicccceeeeeeee.....

$59.99 retail also sits very well too :-)

Curt

That's an odd little thing! Is it just me, or does that look like the unholy offspring of an X-box controller and an Atari joystick?

Nope, that's what I thought as well.

Yes I have tried it and if you don't have the room for an arcade cabinet and don't want a 20lb piece of controller hardware on your desktop like X-Arcade, this is definitely going to be a controller you're gonna want, I especially love playing Missile Command and Liberator with a trackball controller vs a Mouse or YIKES- a keyboard ;-)

Curt

Neat! What is the stick like, is it just the picture or does it really look like a CX-40?

Yeah, but here's the question: what about Smash T.V.?
I can't remember trying it, but there's no reason it wouldn't work well. Of course, you would need two of the X-arcade two-player units to play a two player game!

The X-arcade certainly does have shortcomings though. For one, the 8-way sticks are a bitch with 4-way games like Pac-man or Donkey Kong. This isn't the fault of the unit, this would be the same with any stick. The other problem is for games that require a fire button stick like Battlezone. You can use the two sticks to steer the tank, but firing is a pain!

Edited by SRGilbert

Yes, dual sticks work VERY well with Robotron, Black Widow, Battlezone, Toobin, Splat!, SmashTV and several other games, you just have to map the stick appropriately in MAME.

Curt

You would need the dual joystick to play robotron right? I'm thinking of getting the x-arcade one. I am wondering if the duel one would work with robotron on mame. I'd really love to play that.

Very similar to the CX40 top.

Curt

Curt

Neat! What is the stick like, is it just the picture or does it really look like a CX-40?

Why am I getting the sinking feeling that you helped design this? :ponder: Heh, I was just kiddin' about the unholy offspring thing...... :ponder: (Slowly removes foot from mouth..........)

:D

Very similar to the CX40 top.

Curt

Curt

Well, I ordered the x-arcade dual joystick for mac. The microprose looked cool, but i don't want to wait.

Here's my question about the x-arcade though. I see that there's an adaptor for the xbox. Does it work for the xbox 360? Is it the same adaptor for both regular xbox and the 360?

I am going to be buying an xbox360 very soon for when GTA4 comes out. But I am also going to want to play the x-arcade on it. How exactly does one get mame and the games on the xbox 360? Can someone explain this process before I drop 400 on an xbox 360?

Well, I ordered the x-arcade dual joystick for mac. The microprose looked cool, but i don't want to wait.

Here's my question about the x-arcade though. I see that there's an adaptor for the xbox. Does it work for the xbox 360? Is it the same adaptor for both regular xbox and the 360?

I am going to be buying an xbox360 very soon for when GTA4 comes out. But I am also going to want to play the x-arcade on it. How exactly does one get mame and the games on the xbox 360? Can someone explain this process before I drop 400 on an xbox 360?

The X-box adapter will not work. It seems that microsoft has a pretty tight control on third party accessories for the 360, and thus far X-arcade has not been able to offer an adapter. They have however come up with a workaround:

Xbox 360™ Adapter Availability.

There is a new adapter on the market called the "XFPS" that lets you use a Playstation™ 2 controller or USB keyboard/mouse on your 360. Before you ask how they were able to make 360 support before us, they haven't actually. You simply plug a wired 360 controller into the XFPS's pass through so that the 360 thinks a normal 360 gamepad is attached. Sneaky!

The XFPS has has been confirmed working with the X-Arcade™ and REQUIRES our Playstation™ 2 adapter. The USB connection has limited support with our USB controller).

We do not make nor support the XFPS, we can only confirm that it has been tested and it does work. Unfortunately, it's $80.