IGNORED

bB Playfield Question

cvga

I've been running some code that uses the pfhline command to help draw my "action" playfield. During certain parts of my program, I'd like to switch to something like a title screen to show a message. I thought this would be as easy as creating a short subroutine that sets up a new playfield (along with a COLUBK and COLUPF) and looping through a drawscreen for as long as I want the message to appear before returning to my main program. My code compiles without error but the screen is completely black (when I move the message to the top of the program) or seems to get skipped (when it occurs in the middle of the program). Any ideas on what might be going wrong?

I've been running some code that uses the pfhline command to help draw my "action" playfield. During certain parts of my program, I'd like to switch to something like a title screen to show a message. I thought this would be as easy as creating a short subroutine that sets up a new playfield (along with a COLUBK and COLUPF) and looping through a drawscreen for as long as I want the message to appear before returning to my main program. My code compiles without error but the screen is completely black (when I move the message to the top of the program) or seems to get skipped (when it occurs in the middle of the program). Any ideas on what might be going wrong?

You should be able to switch between playfield displays like that, but if you're using the playfield drawing commands, just remember that displaying a new playfield will wipe out the old playfield, so you'll need to redraw the old playfield all over again when you exit the message screen.

As long as you're setting COLUBK and COLUPF to different colors, the title screen should be visible, regardless of where you're displaying it in your code. Are you perhaps using one of the Superchip bankswitching ROM size? If you are, then you might want to get the latest version of the Stella emulator, because some of the older versions might not auto-recognize the cartridge type properly, and you'll need to change the game properties to specify that it's a Superchip game.

Michael