IGNORED

Movie games suck!

Dauber

• 3 years later...

TOPIC REBIRTH 2008/2011

NES movie games, get a bad rep... so does LJN, although! half of movie games are pretty bad (to many people) but there's some playable or great ones in there.

A Nightmare on Elm St. - I think it's a good game! Cool dark levels and neat music, including the "1,2... freddys comin' for you" You also can switch between dream warriors... pretty cool, with good dream effects and levels, very underrated!

Karate Kid - Nice gameplay follows the first two movies nicely. Fun to do the mini-games when you learn 'em.

Back to the Future II / III - Improvement! Somewhat too long, but at least playable.

Friday the 13th - My all time favorite NES game... it's gotta be at least average for NES, awesome music and effects.

Batman - Not that great once solved but good stuff.

Gremlins 2 - A decent overhead level game, great music.

Beetlejuice - well, I liked it a platformer, stomping bugs.

Ghostbusters II - Nice level game.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit - I think it's pretty cool.

Dick Tracy - Had a lot of fun figuring this out with a friend, but a little difficult.

Terminator I - II - Good for NES standards.

Alien 3 - Decent stuff.

Indiana Jones Doom - I might be only one who likes it, but the gameplay I thought was neat, riding on the train tracks in the Cart.

Bill & Teds Excellent Adventure - Loved this game, but it's probably only so/so to others.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Difficult as hell, but nice graphics and ideas.

NES, movie games are the ones I like to play! :twisted:

Go figure, but Top Gun stunk on all ports. :P

I really don't get the hate for Nightmare on Elm/Friday the 13th.

I dont care what anyone says. I like ET. People just need to learn patience and play the game correctly

My fav 2600 game. Lot's of neat touches, weird how some consider it the worst, but Adventure is many peoples favorite... isn't the playing aspect kinda similar? Find parts to get E.T. home, and with Adventure find tools to get the chalice? :ponder:

The pits are difficult, if you don't know how to WORK 'EM! Once you learn you won't forget...

it's like ridin' a bicycle!! E.T. sure can work a bike.. "NOT SO HIGH!!!!"

More like, "I'm sooo high" ;)

Some film-to-game titles are atrocious, but others are very well done, and the majority are average.

In March I finally finished my PhD. My dissertation was all about film-to-game titles. I looked at hundreds and hundreds of games from the Age of Atari through right around 2004 (but I kept looking at ones past that point - I just needed it to end somewhere). The titles that are exemplary really expand a property for a player. For the record, I did not poo-poo E.T. - it's a rather important title in the history of this particular genre.

Next up, turning the dissertation into a book.

• Like 1

One of my favorite games as a kid was E.T. It was actually a decent game when you got use to the control. I remember having speed runs on it. Its really not that hard. I think in general video games are alot easier now than they were in old Atari days. People aren't as good at them anymore. My son kicks me on the 360 but I kick him on the 2600. He just can't figure it out.

One of my favorite games as a kid was E.T. It was actually a decent game when you got use to the control. I remember having speed runs on it. Its really not that hard. I think in general video games are alot easier now than they were in old Atari days. People aren't as good at them anymore. My son kicks me on the 360 but I kick him on the 2600. He just can't figure it out.

I agree - E.T is not trash just a rush job lol,your right about the kids today put them on a 2600,Spectrum or classic arcade game and it blows them away!,they are so used to game solutions in mags the same month a game is released and internet tips they have no idea of real preasure and puzzle solving.

• Like 1

I love Alien on the Atari! It might be the best Pac-a-like on the system. There's also an Alien RPG type game that came out for a few computer systems (I have the C64 version...I think there was a Spectrum version also) that is far more evocative of the film.

I like Alien 3 on the Genesis/SNES quite a bit, too. The NES version just didn't quite get there for me. Alien 3 is actually one of the few Genesis games I'd go out of my way to play.

Someone mention the AvP games on Jaguar and PC. Just a note: these were [generally outstanding] games long before they were [absolutely terrible] movies. (And of course, before they were games, they were comic books. :D)

• Like 1

Some film-to-game titles are atrocious, but others are very well done, and the majority are average.

That summed it up, really well!

Just cause it's a bad movie game, doesn't mean the whole genre sucks.

Atari 2600 made very good movie games, even if they didn't capture the films much,

but that would be a pretty tough task, with only 4ks to work with!

Regardless of bad or not, movie games are cool.I have E.T for my 400, and 2600, and i like them both.I wish they made Cloak and Dagger....have they?, IIRC, there is a proto out there.

Basically, when someone doesn't feel invested in the IP, they don't generally do a good job. For a movie game to be done well it would have to be made by professionals that are all unabashedly geeky fans of the source material, not professionals assigned to make one thing into another.

Bill Mantlo was a writer for Marvel comics, a very good one, and he worked with two IP's that were toy licenses - Micronauts and ROM: spaceknight. Toy licenses in comics are the same as movie licenses in games; shit them out quick and don't look back. Because Mantlo's son actually liked the Micronauts toys, it was Mantlo's idea to write for it, and he actually invested enough of himself in both projects to make them good despite the inherent lameness of the characters themselves. Then, he became a public defender and got hit by a car. He's in a nursing home now with reduced mental function. Great guy.

So essentially... if fans of LOTR made a LOTR game, it would probably be better than the commercially released games. It might lack a level of polish, but it would encapsulate the core values of the book better, it would have more of what people liked about the book in it. This would be because the fans understand the soul of a work. When you get really lucky, the professionals ARE nerdfans and you get both polish and soul.