IGNORED

Favorite and Most despised Contollers of all time?

z28in82

Really? People played with those damn floppy non-centering pieces of crap long enough to break them???

Well.. it didn't take long :lol:

That being said, as I stated on the first page of this thread, 5200 controllers WHEN WORKING, are pretty damn good.. well, at least they're not an 'unpleasurable' experience like some other controllers. They are an experience though. :P But the 'non-centering' aspect of it is a little overhyped. They work fine.. when working *cough*

i've got through six N64 controllers; all my other consoles i'm still on the one i brought for the system

Yimminy crickets, what are you doing to them?

And what breaks, the analog stick?

yep, i mean they still 'work', but the analog stick seems to stiffen-up with plastic dust coming from the stick it self

dude! what are you talking about? these are some of the toughest sticks ever made! I for one hate the original Atari home joysticks I think they are way too stiff, these wico's are among the smoothest and most durrable out there, I once broke my wrist on one of these, I was thrashing it around and I hit it really hard and snap! I still have that stick to this day! also there is a older version of the Command Control stick that uses a "real" arcade 8-way! like I've fixed it many times by simply buying a new joystick from wico and throwing it into the case of the wico! additionally they all use either leaf switches or microswitches, eiter way they are easy to clean or replace and even upgrade to a more tactile switch if you wanted.the only exception is the analog joystick, it's sort of hard to clean, but the ones that I own, never need to be cleaned or scerviced in any way! good stuff man, good stuff.

kisrael wrote:

Not all Wico sticks were red, friend. Behold the Wico Boss! (and behold it turning off center)

hey those are their cheap "boss" line, of course they were crappy, but they wernt the Command Control Joysticks!!!!!!!! hello different product completely!!!!

kisrael wrote:
Not all Wico sticks were red, friend. Behold the Wico Boss! (and behold it turning off center)

hey those are their cheap "boss" line, of course they were crappy, but they wernt the Command Control Joysticks!!!!!!!! hello different product completely!!!!

Oh...well, you said Wico w/ the notch. The giant bat doesn't have a notch, does it? And I don't really see a notch in the stick of the other ones. I thought you were talking about the "flight" like control grip.

So what notch ya mean?

no no no no! the Wico command controll sticks were red! like this:
That's a buttplug if I ever saw one. It's a sad world when three people watch a Ring Pop commercial at the same time, and when the announcer says "take pictures of yourself doing crazy things with Ring Pops!", they all bust up laughing at the same thought.

no no no no! the Wico command controll sticks were red! like this:
That's a buttplug if I ever saw one. It's a sad world when three people watch a Ring Pop commercial at the same time, and when the announcer says "take pictures of yourself doing crazy things with Ring Pops!", they all bust up laughing at the same thought.

Oh, is that the 'notch' he was talking about? More of a ridge or a groove than a notch.

Yeah, that does look like a buttplug. Wonder if they were the same shape back then.

The worst controllers of all were the Colecovision controllers. You'd have better luck playing the games with a pile of dogcrap whan with a colecovision controller.

Honorable mentions for utterly craptastic controllers go to the Intellivision, NES (the original boxes), Nintendo 64, and GameCube. Nintendo is excellent at creating the shittiest controllers known to man.

The best controllers of all were the original Atari 2600 control sticks. Sure, they only had one button and 8 directionals, but they were responsive, stood up to much abuse, and fairly comfortable.

Honorable mentions for excellent controllers are: ASCII SG-1 Fighter Stick, ASCII NES Advantage, Nintendo SNES control pad, and the Sony Playstation 1 control pad (before they added the stubby analog pieces of shit).

Out of all the systems I own, I think the worst is the Intellivision. The disc gets aggrevating when playing Burger time and mine quit working periodically and requier cleaning.

The 5200 sticks that I have are OEM pieces and not one has quit yet. They are stock REV 9 and play great with most of the 5200 library.

The 2600 joysticks are stiff but works excellent. I have the Wico version which is much better.

The Jag controller, allong with the SNES, are just plain great controllers.

The vectrex controller is good too, but I dont like how the 4 buttons are spaced out.

Honorable mentions for utterly craptastic controllers go to the Intellivision, NES (the original boxes), Nintendo 64, and GameCube.  Nintendo is excellent at creating the shittiest controllers known to man.

The diversity of opinions on controllers here is pretty amazing.

I put Nintendo consistently at the highest in terms of controllers, each one (except maybe the GC) raising the ante in what a controller should do, and always comfortable.

A lot of people love Dual Shock 2, I think it pretty much sucks. Some people think the DC controller is the worst thing ever, other people think it rocks. I think Colecovision and 7800 are the only ones I haven't heard defended...and they're both similar in a way.

Different strokes, etc.

The Good:

The Playstation and SNES are my favorite all-time controllers. The

Genesis ones are nice too but I don't like the 6 button version. And

of course the 2600 stick is just a simple classic design.

The Bad:

The telephone joysticks was the worst fad of video gaming. I am sure

they contributed to the crash of 84. You know the offenders - INTV,

CV, 5200 & its bastard brother the 7800 pain-lines. All of these

suffer from the crappy side fire button placement. Of those I will

actually go on the record and say the 5200 are the best and most of

the complaints against the joystick are by people who have never used

them.

The Needed More Development Time:

NES pads I find are very good controllers but the d pad hurts my

thumbs after long sessions, it needs a softer plastic or rounded edges.

The 7800 pads are an essential accessory, too bad they are not very

accurate. SMS pads are like the 7800. In general all of these are a tad

small. X-box I like too but are a bit bulky however it can be gotten

used to (I havn't tried the new small version). The best thing about

the X-box one is those nice triggers which I would love to see be a new

standard.

Seems like a lot of people hate the original "square" NES controllers, but I love 'em. In fact when I had one of the "dogbones" it felt so alien in my hands I didn't use it at all. I got rid of one and gave away the other that wasn't even working to someone for nothing, and felt like I got the better end of the deal.

Seems like a lot of people hate the original "square" NES controllers, but I love 'em.  In fact when I had one of the "dogbones" it felt so alien in my hands I didn't use it at all.  I got rid of one and gave away the other that wasn't even working to someone for nothing, and felt like I got the better end of the deal.

The Dogbones are excellent, Im sure there is noone on earth who has played xevious on the NES with the original pads that didnt need serious attention to the thumb afterwards.

I used to get "Nintendo thumb" all the time back in the days when I'd rent an NES, and I was actually rather proud of it - made me feel like I was getting my money's worth out of the rental (plus it was a good tip to take a break playing for a while).

NES pads I find are very good controllers but the d pad hurts my thumbs after long sessions, it needs a softer plastic or rounded edges.
My problem with them wasn't the edges of the d-pad, but the put in the center. After a few lengthy sessions, my thumb was hurting like hell because I pushed it across that damn thing.

Seems like a lot of people hate the original "square" NES controllers, but I love 'em.  In fact when I had one of the "dogbones" it felt so alien in my hands I didn't use it at all.  I got rid of one and gave away the other that wasn't even working to someone for nothing, and felt like I got the better end of the deal.
The dogbones are for retards. Nintendo moved the buttons so you couldn't roll your thumb joint-tip, you had to either hold the controller sideways, or roll your thumb laterally. >_<

The dogbones are for retards. Nintendo moved the buttons so you couldn't roll your thumb joint-tip, you had to either hold the controller sideways, or roll your thumb laterally. >_<

:thumbsup: Couldn't have put it better myself. I know Nintendo got some things wrong with the toploader, but that was the biggest one of all. What +were+ they thinking?