IGNORED

new 360 owner / racing games

bomberpunk

for my 27th birthday a few days ago, i bought myself a nice gift. i haven't bothered taking it out of the box yet, as i own no games for it yet. i wanted to buy a racing game, and i had like 7 titles in my hands. i couldn't decide which one to get so i put them all back!

i plan to buy the wheel periphial and i want something that is two player, and realistic. i've read reviews but i'd rather trust the AA community with my purchase. which racing game should i buy? forza? sega rally? gran turismo? project gotham? *sigh*

I'm pretty limited on racing games, but here I go.

For your money. Need for Speed Most Wanted is cheap and a lot of fun. Though, it may be just me, but I find the game extremely difficult towards the end. I'm at #4 on the black list, with a car that has every customizable option and I cannot win a race. There's nothing more I can do to make my car faster, so I'm stuck, and don't play it anymore, but for multi-player, or general replay value to go through some other races, It's a fun game.

Dirt. I really enjoyed this game, thought it was one of the better Rally games out there. Graphics are nice and the controls are fairly easy for a Rally game, not to overly "slidy"

As for Demo's i've played, Forza, not impressed, NFS Carbon, not impressed, the new NFS, not impressed, so there are at least 3 games I will not be buying unless the price is right.

I'd recommend trying the demos.

Dirt is another rally racing game.

Do you prefer arcade type racing games or simulations that are a lot harder to drive?

Gran Turismo is exclusive to the PS3.

Forza and Dirt try to be simulations so they'll be pretty difficult to control on the hardest levels without buying a wheel. I haven't tried any of the other games.

Edited by HammR25

sadly I'm still on forza1, since 360 has maybe 3 games that interest me enough to flip the box over. but forza2 always wants to show the physics going on under the hood--of course what's going on outside the hood isn't especially pretty, but from what I've played it's a very realistic title. Get it if you are into checking out things like the online miata spec racing leagues.

Dirt was the most horrible piece of filth I have ever played. I got the PC version and the controls were neither arcadey, nor realistic, it was instead in a *HORRIBLE* world devoid of power slides even in conditions which were just silly. Roll up right on top of a corner, tap the brake all the way down and steer to full lock--somehow the car grip turns the corner and makes it through without harming the plants. The programming team released an under the table 'patch' for the PC version, but all that did was make us loose online to the unmodified games... Cheaters are also pretty well unregulated in it. Enjoy trying to beat lap times of .01 sec.

I've been nothing but happy with the sega rally titles, which handle like cartoon racers. They may not be realistic, but they're so fun to drive it's hard to care. The visuals are nice, and the track deformation gimmick doesn't do too badly. Don't waste your money on a wheel for it, get a second controller, because HD split screen looks pretty fine.

for budget online titles, I recommend test drive unlimited. It's like $10, the amount of fun to be had can't be questioned. Talk about replay value, I've watched people play this game for months straight. Haven't touched it myself. Not a huge fan of the test drive series in general.

Edited by Reaperman

My vote would go to Test Drive Unlimited. It's awesome all the way around, and soooo cheap.

Here's the thing though. You don't have to take anyones advice, just download a few demo's and try each game out, it's free and then you'll know exactly if a games for you.

The only driving game I have that plays on my 360 is Test Drive: Eve of Destruction. It's an Xbox title. You'll have to find it online but it's a lot fun.

Flatout Ultimate Carnage for the 360 would be a similar title.

I downloaded one of the Burnout demos and it wasn't too bad.

Edited by HammR25

I picked up PGR3 (Project Gotham Racing 3) for $10 new. I've had fun with it... not a bad title to just go race. If you get it get the greatest hits version since it has added support for the wheel controller.

If you like tweaking a car's settings then Forza2 is your choice. My brother is a car fanatic and has played almost every night since I gave him the 360.

My brother has a couple other race titles now but he keeps going back to Forza2. Carbon interested him for a couple days and that's about it. Not sure what the other title was.

I played the demo of Dirt from XBox live the other day. I suggest anyone interested in the title try before you buy. I didn't check to see if I could adjust the controls but I thought they were way too sensitive. I thought I was on ice not dirt but I'm guessing with a wheel controller the default settings would be pretty good. A little practice wouldn't hurt either.

<edit>

I'm pretty sure there are several other demos racing games online so hook up your 360 to a broadband connection, log on to XBox Live. I think you get a free month of gold membership with the console and silver is free. You'll need a large enough storage device to try them out... not sure if a memory card will be big enough.

BTW my brother is a total race fanatic and loves tweaking the car setup so he loves Forza 2.

Edited by JamesD

I'm really enjoying Burnout Paradise - it's like playing with Hotwheels cars all over again.. The single player options are practically endless.. The multiplayer option is seamlessly wonderful. Just a solid, solid racing game.

The best part about it is being able to drive around just as you choose as the challenge options are perfect for this type of game..

I wasn't replying to you, but to the comment about Dirt feeling like the cars were on ice. I thought there was too much grip if anything, but I enjoyed the game a lot. I'm glad I picked it up.

You should get a PC game called NASCAR Racing 2003 Season. It's a bit dated but I know you'd just love it.