IGNORED

Discovery Cartridge

• 10 months later...
Does anyone have any information about using the Discovery Cart to back up Atari 8 bit disks?

Sorry for taking, oops, almost a year to reply :( (which is the embarassed smiley here?)

I wrote such a program back at the day. Unfortunately I lost the executable many years ago. The software was published by Happy Computers in their BBS as Shareware (AFAIK they never included it in their distribution disk). So somebody might still have it.

It required, of course, a 5.25 drive attached to the Discovery Cartridge. And it could read only the front side (no support for the flippy side). It could copy many protections that the 8-bit Happy could not, but it couldn't copy all of them. I know I never implemented support for weak bits, but I don't remember if there was missing support for some other protection or not. It was fully automatic (no PDB of any kind was required).

The same software could transfer files from/to the ST to/from a DOS formatted 8-bit disk. I recall I used this feature a lot. It was my main method then for ST <=> 8-bit transfer.

Myself I still might have the software somewhere and someday I might find it, or someday I might rewrite it from scratch. But I am too busy lately, and have quite some other Atari stuff (including some other Discovery Cartridge software) in my TODO list. So don't expect this to happen nearly anytime soon.

Again, it was available at the Happy BBS, so somebody must have it somewhere. The only thing I can do for you at the moment, in case you find it, is to waive you the Shareware fee :) Bad joke, I know.

Edited by ijor

• 2 months later...
How about a nice circuit diagram? :)

Awesome! Most of the mods look easily installed. I'm not really sure if any of them are useful aside from perhaps the battery. I've already got the Apple ROMS in mine, as well as the 3/4 drive connector (but no apparent switch/circuitry), and the memory banking switch.

Mine says "Option 0" on the bottom, but its apparently been upgraded by somebody. I suppose im only missing the battery, cart passthru, and the 3/4 drive stuff.

BTW, is a clock driver included with the software? I've never noticed...

Tuf

• 4 years later...