IGNORED

8-bit demos (including a peak at Vector)

DEBRO

Someone posted some 8-bit demos in alt.binaries.comp.atari8bit. I've only looked at Numen so far but it is incredible!!!!! You can also see in this demo how Vector will look. I really liked the demo that had what looked to be a gold object with light moving across it. Very impressive for the Atari 8-bit.

This is a must see.

I enjoyed the Numen demo as well, in case anyone doesn't get the binary groups, I'm attaching the demo in .zip format (they are in .atr and require 320kb memory so an emulator is probably required for most), I also have the other 2 demos if someone wants me to post them later.

numen_a_b.zip

just small stuff... maybe little game on 8bit or gba...no monster project like numen... ;)

what i found impressive in numen is how we finally managed to get really highres multicolor bitmaps and fx on screen...

i am highly interested in my GBA... but 1st i should finish time pilot... but i am busy as well... someone should help me in transfering the gfx of mame screenshots into atari raw format....

hve

Heaven,

Seeing all those colors on screen with Numen was awesome - Something I dreamed about when I had my 800 in the 80's and never seeing something so colorful -

What I cant believe is the colorful outdoor part - I think I counted over 6 distinct colors on the screen.......That was great!

goochman...

type into basic "gr.10" and you get 80x192x9 colors which each you can adress separatly (but beware...708 is the background color! 708-712)

so no trick except of "boosting" up the scanlines to an approx 80x60x9 custom screen via display list... looks better that 1:1 ration ;=)

hve

ps. why is nobody wondering how we made the 160x200x30(!!!) colored hirez gfx... and the best.... used that for realtime effects as well... (knowing that they use 200 DLIs!!!)

to everyone who want to help me with time pilot gfx...

i just need atari bitmaps of the gfx tiles so i can convert that into the raw format for timepilot... they should be alligned to 0-4-8 pixels so i can cut them very easy :=)

i mean...make a screenshot of the non antialised mame ones...load them into a pc paint software and reduce the palette to 4 colors... save that picture as bmp...so i can load it directly with my turbo basic xl converter...

many many thanks...

hve

goochman...

ps. why is nobody wondering how we made the 160x200x30(!!!) colored hirez gfx... and the best.... used that for realtime effects as well... (knowing that they use 200 DLIs!!!)

I ran the demo through Atari800WinPLus and halted the process to see the display list. I don't remember which screen was present but I saw an ANTIC F screen with dozens of colors and even on the same scanline :o

How did you pull that off?

Hve,

If ya want me to help out mail me directly - I'd rather not be one of several people all doing the same thing - duplicate effort would be a bit of a waste of time...

What sizes of sprite images, I assume they would be laid out on a 160X192 screen, I know you said 4 pixel alignments - but what overall sizes and which ones - all or any bits from Timepilot, what about flips and extra rotations or fewer for memory reasons...

I can think of a very sweet way of doing the game in Antic D yet looking higher resolution - which may make it run quicker :)

What is your palette setup - so I know which colors to use in which sprites and which parts of sprites - since a flat 4 color conversion would be pretty yucky - if the planes wings used the same color as the clouds but really should be a different one etc. What about PMG's?

Of course I can come up with any or all of this stuff on my own, but I'd like to know what the system you've designed supports so I can maximize the look :)

If you ever need any musix I have several unused pieces from Shadow of the Beast etc that may be appropriate for a future project (although not timepilot I reckon)..

Anyways just let me know, I would like very much to to be involved :)

sTeVE

Heaven - hmmmmmmm, didnt look like a GTIA mode, those screens are usually very blocky but you are the expert :)

Awesome no matter - Looking forward to Vector if it sees the light of day

Also looking forward to Time Pilot and Space Harrier as well :D

re: jetboot

i will compile a doc for exactly what i need... so everyone could help

re: antic f in numen...

yes & no... we mainly used gtia-modes 9,10,11 for maximum shades and color... so try this in basic:

gr.8

poke 623,$40

then you see that antic f is correct but we switch on the GTIA modes so the 4 bits are used to select the shade/color or color register in the so called "mode9,10 or mode11"...

have a close look in this section on my website

http://www.s-direktnet.de/homepages/k_nadj/main.html

"What are custom-graphic-modes??? (APAC,CIP,XLP,HIP,...)"

and click on HIP.

we improved this custom tricky mode with color enchancement so now we call them TIP - Taquart Interlace Picture Mode...

heaven

jetboot....

yes...i know... you are talking in a "professional way"... i should have know that this questions will arrise... ;) just kidding... ;) its like talking with my project leaders in development or with my creative agency... ;)

but why shouldn't homebrew projects not been handled like "real" ones??? :)

hve

Wow! This is a superb demo. Love it.

Lots of great things I'd have no idea how to implement to run so fast.

The vector engine is especially impressive. Truely amazing.

I liked the 160x200x30 colour Heaven! Getting away from primary colours and colour boundaries are a problem I imagine. Excellent! (Shame it has to use so much proc time though)

Nice work Taquart!

my fave fx are

- "vector engine"

- TIP plasma (with the flower...)

- stickman

- rubik's rube

- HIP bump

- the "shuffle game" with the tunnel fx... i have absolutly no clue how eru has coded this effect...

- turbo vectors... (nice fill routine in 50 fps... ;))

- the rotation of taquart logo and then turning into TQA HIP

- all gfx, esp the numen color TIP from our gfx man, dracon...

well...it seems to me...i like all effects... :)

hve