IGNORED

how do i clean my 2600?

chromizone

i own a 2600cx-a u know the 4 switch wood grain any way i just cleaned all of my games (if took FOREVER!!!) and want to clean my system but i dont think i have the guts to actuly take it apart to do so ( i mainly only wanna clean the spot where the cartridge goes in) <--so the connecters are cleaner u know... any one know how to do so? thanks alot

-chromizone

Would you feel bad if he actually put it in the dishwasher?

Not particularly. It's that whole "If I told him to jump off a cliff..." argument.

The Atari 2600 is a pretty hardy little machine and you'd really have to do something grotesque to break/ruin it (like put it in the dishwasher). techniques vary, but here's mine. I'm certain someone will pipe up and disagree with something in here.

If you're just worried about the outside casing and exposed slots, just use a slightly dampened cloth to wash the plastic housing off (use a QTip to get in the crevaces). Do NOT get water down in the cart slot.

To clean the cart slot, there are several ways. I use a QTip with alcohol on it. Take care to keep the "fuzzing" of the QTip to a minimum. You're just trying to dissolve, dislodge, and remove the dirt built-up in there. The alcohol evaporates instantly, so there's little worry of moisture damage.

Or, if you want to play it *really* safe, get a can of compressed air from an electronics store, and "blow out" all the dust and dirt you can.

If you're wondering about how to clean the *insides* of your Atari, take out the screws, dissassemble, and place in the dishwasher top rack. Use lots of Jet Dry. ;) <--(obligatory "I'm only kidding...don't do it" smilie.)

i try and find something the same size as the cart chips and i wrap them with a thin piece of cloth ( an old bed sheet or pillow case works great ) i wrap it around the piece of Cardboard (thats what i use sometimes, pizza boxes are good :D

and i dampen it with either alcohol or just plain warm water and i move it up and down in the slot

Its kinda like the old NES cleaning kits system cleaners

I just recently got a few 2600 systems that were gunked up with lots of dirt and dust. What I did was remove the 6 screws on the bottom and take the top half off. I used some dish soap and a scrub brush and washed the thing off in the kitchen sink (top half ONLY!). Then just drip dry. I finished it off with some vinyl protectant called Vinyl-X (NOT Armor-All) that I use for my car interior. Reassemble and presto, the thing looks like it just came out of the box - brand new! 8)

Also, I seem to remember reading somewhere once that they actually did wash the circuit boards at some point during the manufacture of the VCS. I'm not sure where I saw that, perhaps in an old magazine article or the book ZAP? :ponder: Can anyone confirm or deny that? However, I would not suggest doing this now! ;)

Hello all, Would you permit a new member to offer a tip for cleaning really dirty/dusty Atari's? Tuner Cleaner; not the junk that Radio Shack sells, the REAL stuff that techs. use. One brand (I use) is called 'Tun-O-Wash' made by Chemtronics. It's available from Newark Electronics and Hosfelt Elec. OK, the fine print, it may not be safe for all plastics (tho I DOUSED a near-death 7800 with it, and it works fine) You don't want to drink the stuff, or spray your cat...but if you're afraid to take something apart, or you have tried everything else, it's worth a shot.

For areas like cartridge slots, it's an easy way to do it... (No Q-Tip fuzz)

BTW, this stuff has actually saved a number of my systems, most of then off-topic. Just an idea, people. :wink:

why are people so afaraid to take their atari apart, ive been taking stuff apart since about 4, its all about expirementing, and seeing what works, you wont break an atari by cracking it open to blow some dust off, my advice is to just draw out a paper of where everything was before you rip away, plus an atari isnt that comples, everything is actuially quite simple, test some cleaners and see what works... i actuially found that some of my sisters biolage hair shiner puts a nice shiny coat on your systems and joysticks, it really works good, they look brand new.

just dont be afaraid of breaking it, be careful, and keep track of everything, i recommend doing it on a white even, and clean surface with some containers for parts and screws, so you dont loose track of all your stuff. if you keep it organized, its quite easy! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Back in 1994 I was told that most video stores will have a cleaning system designed specifically for the Atari 2600 systems, it's called "Doc's Power Up" and consists of a long yellow flat rectangular piece of plastic with a special cleaning cloth on it plus special lint free swabs for cleaning the cartridges. it already contains the neccessary cleaning elements you need within the package so if you want a sure-fire system to clean ALL the contacts inside the cartridge slot AND clean the PCB's of all your cartridges, get "Doc's Power Up", you can't go wrong with it because I certainly haven't....any other Atari users in or near the Mechanicsburg PA area?