IGNORED

1040 ST repair question?

I have an 1040 ST with what I gather might be a common problem. It seems related to the power supply. The machine works fine except it wont stay powered on. I have to hold or support the power cord where it connects to the back of the computer (power supply). It has gotten worse and now will only stay on if I firmly lift the cord up in back.

I can do some soldering if I knew what the problem is. Probably many possibilities but I think I remember reading that this was a common issue, hopefully with a simple solution.

I welcome any ideas.

I have an 1040 ST with what I gather might be a common problem. It seems related to the power supply. The machine works fine except it wont stay powered on. I have to hold or support the power cord where it connects to the back of the computer (power supply). It has gotten worse and now will only stay on if I firmly lift the cord up in back.

I can do some soldering if I knew what the problem is. Probably many possibilities but I think I remember reading that this was a common issue, hopefully with a simple solution.

I welcome any ideas.

It's sounding like the power connector has a broken or lose solder joint inside on the power supply board. I'm not sure how easy it would be to get inside and look at the solder connection of the IDC connector (I believe that is what its called) to the power supply board. There just might be a small stress fracture that justs needs to be resoldered.

Glenn

I welcome any ideas.

It's sounding like the power connector has a broken or lose solder joint inside on the power supply board. I'm not sure how easy it would be to get inside and look at the solder connection of the IDC connector (I believe that is what its called) to the power supply board. There just might be a small stress fracture that justs needs to be resoldered.

Glenn

That sounds like it matches the symptoms. I did a cursory look at the board. I guess it's time to go back in and take a closer look. Thank you for the suggestion Atarifan49. I'll post back with update.