IGNORED

2600 with rear projection tv

2600fan

Depends on the type of rear projection TV you've got:

CRT: ABSOLUTELY NOT! Or rather... you could, but burn-in will happen really quick if you simply play the same game a lot, even if you play the game multiple times over the course of several days or weeks.

LCD: You can, but I'd avoid multi-hour games since LCD burn-in isn't impossible, just much harder to do and requires perfectly still images for hours upon hours on end.

DLP: No problems! ;)

Edited by Gemini

Can I use the 2600 on my rear projection tv that was purchased in 2000? will it leave burned out images on the tv screen?

If you're looking to use the games to show them off for a few hours, there shouldn't be any problem. If you play the same game for weeks on end, you could conceivably have trouble. If you show a title screen with no screen saver 24/7 for months on end, you're likely to have trouble.

BTW, for screen types that are susceptible to burn-in, I would think letterboxed movies would cause problems. Haven't heard of such, though.

BTW, for screen types that are susceptible to burn-in, I would think letterboxed movies would cause problems. Haven't heard of such, though.

Ah, but they do! If you play ONLY letterboxed movies on a CRT projection system for about four hours a day for a few months, then go and watch something not letterboxed, you will see brightened areas where the letterboxes normally were. It's almost a reverse burn-in since you've burnt-in a moving image in the middle and not used the letterboxed areas. Depending on your TV's brightness settings will depend on how quickly burn in will occur as well.

That said, burn-in will go away if it's not that bad, but it can take just as long to go away as it did to occur in the first place. My father bought a floor model CRT projection TV a few years ago and at first, there was an ESPN ticker bar burnt into the bottom of the screen. Not badly because it was hard to notice with moving images going. It took about a year for it to go away.

Repeated images are not as bad as still images for causing burn-in, but the effect is the same. Burn-in is caused in CRT and Plasma systems by phosphor wear, so if you stop doing what it was that caused the burn-in it will gradually disappear as the phosphors once again even out from regular use. With LCDs, I don't know what causes burn-in since there's no phosphors, but I do know it can happen because I've personally seen LCD burn-in.

DLP on the other hand is impossible to burn in due to the way it works.

Can I use the 2600 on my rear projection tv that was purchased in 2000? will it leave burned out images on the tv screen?

The best thing is to consult your owner's manual to see what the manufacturer recommends.

I've got a Mitsubishi VS-45605, purchased in 2000, and I've played various consoles on it, including a 2600, a Colecovision, a Jaguar, various of those Jakks Plug'n'Play units, and a PS2, and I've never experienced any problems. The PS2 gets the most play. I've never experienced any image related video game problems with the unit.