IGNORED

What is the worst 7800 game?

Atari Joe

okay what is the worst 7800 game that you have played for the 7800? 2600 games dont count and neiter does jinks cause everybody says jinks. I say that the worse game of all time was cracked for the 7800 but i think it would have been SLICK with a lightgun. how bout you? thanx joe.

Hmm, so many choices.

I would have to say:

Karateka

Pete Rose Baseball

I admit, I actually like the Froggo games a little bit, enough to keep them off my worst list.

I was getting together a 7800 system to send to legeek (thanks Ben for your artwork so far!) but I had to spend some time, um, testing it. I forgot how much fun some of the games I don't play as often are, especially One on One.

Oh, and I just discovered that trick with the difficulty swicth on Xevious to bomb and fire at the same time.

Eric

What is the deal with Karateka? I was trying to play it last night and I couldn't figure out how to control my character. He just seemed to move randomly with various joystick movements, and I never could actually get him to move closer to his opponent. I thought my ProLine joystick was screwed up, but I put in some other games (Ms. Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Dig Dug) and they all worked fine.

Was there a special controller for Karateka, or am I just clueless?

Well, Can't say as I like Scrapyard Dog. I just can't get into that game, and the awful 7800 controllers really hinder it.

And I would have to say both Donkey Kongs because the sound is just horrible, and the graphics aren't as sharp as they could be. They play good though.

Maybe not the worst, but Pole Position II is definitely the 7800 game I'm the most frustrated with. The control isn't very tight, especially with the Pro-Line controllers. I can't seem to win a race!

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

:D do you need both buttons for that game?? i forget, if you dont use your 2600 controllers ;) either way i guess it dont matter for me because i never use my brakes :D

And I would have to say both Donkey Kongs because the sound is just horrible, and the graphics aren't as sharp as they could be.  They play good though.

No way! DK and DKjr are my favorite two games on the platform! They are the best home adaptations (at least pre-1990s) of those games I have seen. Sure the music's a little... hmmm... "off"... but that's just part of their charm!

One complaint I do have is that I have trouble getting Mario all the way to the top of the ladders sometimes. I have to give the joystick an extra upward jerk sometimes to get him to start running right or left after climbing a ladder.

Maybe not the worst, but Pole Position II is definitely the 7800 game I'm the most frustrated with. The control isn't very tight, especially with the Pro-Line controllers. I can't seem to win a race!

My problem with Pole Position II is that there's something wrong with my cartridge... every time I play it by the time I get halfway through the race the game goes wacko and a bunch of garbage graphics start showing up on the bottom half of the screen. Is there any way to fix this? I have cleaned the contacts several times.

Karateka is probably as common as Combat around where I live...

Wow, what planet do you live on? :D

I don't think I have EVER seen a 7800 game anywhere ever. (Granted, I don't do a ton of thrifting or flea markets.) Even when the 7800 was new, I never saw it anywhere where I lived. I have only ever gotten 7800 games online. (I also bought my 7800 system online!) :roll:

Well, I do live on the third rock from the sun. :D Granted, the perspective may vary but I don't usually see many 2600 carts around here so it's probably why Karateka seems as common as Combat.

Maybe if you lived in Saginaw, your view would change. I do see more O^2 games than any Atari games around here. :P

do you need both buttons for that game?? i forget, if you dont use your 2600 controllers  either way i guess it dont matter for me because i never use my brakes

I think you do use both buttons. I know because I tried a Genesis controller with the game to see if it would control better, and the car wouldn't go. Oh well, I'll stick to 2600 Pole Position.

There is a way to beat Pole Position II without using the breaks. First you just have to memorize the tracks. Once you do, you just have to anticipate the tight curves. I find that running off the track just a little before the turns slows me up enough to make them without crashing.

[My problem with Pole Position II is that there's something wrong with my cartridge... every time I play it by the time I get halfway through the race the game goes wacko and a bunch of garbage graphics start showing up on the bottom half of the screen.  Is there any way to fix this?  I have cleaned the contacts several times.

I have the same problem with both of my Pole Position II carts, except I only get about 20-30 seconds into the race. :x I bought the second one because I thought the first had a defect. I have no idea how to fix it.

I have yet to break the seal on my copies of Jinks or Realsports Baseball

but after reading this thread I might just have to see for myself ;)

I nominated the recently bashed Karateka. The controls are bad, the

game is hard and the music is awful awful awful! What is that song

that plays during that lame introduction? Since there is only a

handful of marital arts games this lemon stands out even more. Its

a shame its so common because that means that a lot of kids got

ripped off all those years ago.

I'd have to say that the two Donkey Kong's are the biggest

dissapointments for the system. Most of the old arcade converts

are really well done. But those ones have the poor music, which

I can live with, but the colours look bleached out. But it is cool

that Jr has all four levels, yet why does DK only have 3?For the

ultimate in home Donkey Kong play it on the Atari 400/800

computer. It has all the levels PLUS the correct between level

animation, an almost perfect translation, its only misssing

the 5th layer on screen one. The Gameboy version is also

good since it has 100 unique levels that are mostly puzzle oriented.

John

Worst 7800 games? Geez. I don't agree with some of the choices listed: SCRAPYARD DOG is one of my favorites and while they aren't perfect, I do like both DONKEY KONG games.

The worst 7800 titles for me are:

KARATEKA. If you've ever played the XE cartridge version, you can't help but wonder why the 7800 conversion was so awful. Terrible controls, paired down graphics and most of the cool elements removed make for about the worst martial arts game in existance.

REAL SPORTS BASEBALL. The graphics look like this walked off the 2600. The playability is ultra limited. The funniest thing however, is that this is a 128K title. What the *&^% did the programmer do with the space?

REAL SPORTS BASEBALL. The graphics look like this walked off the 2600. The playability is ultra limited. The funniest thing however, is that this is a 128K title. What the *&^% did the programmer do with the space?

Actually, it's only a 64k game. The Emu ROM is doubled to 128k so that it will work in emulation.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org